Has AvPR improved wih age?

Started by Perfect-Organism, Mar 25, 2015, 03:59:06 PM

Author
Has AvPR improved wih age? (Read 84,356 times)

SM

SM

Not especially.  I'd prefer to criticise it for legitimate faults though.

Infected

Infected

Quote from: SM on Jan 19, 2017, 10:50:21 PM
Like what?

echobbase79

echobbase79

For me the pedestrian script.

For an idea he's had since high school, it felt very bland. Alien vs Predator was supposed to be exciting. When I saw it in theaters I was bored.

That's just wrong.

SM

SM

Quote from: Infected on Jan 19, 2017, 10:52:07 PM
Like what?

Dull characters, limp set up, generally mediocre script, less than 10 minutes of actual versing, ridiculously short Alien life cycle.

Infected

Infected

Quote from: SM on Jan 19, 2017, 10:56:50 PM
Quote from: Infected on Jan 19, 2017, 10:52:07 PM
Like what?

Dull characters, limp set up, generally mediocre script, less than 10 minutes of actual versing, ridiculously short Alien life cycle.
The queen was there for a milion years, you call that a short life cycle?

SM

SM

We don't know how long the Queen was there.  And I wasn't talking about her.

Infected

Infected

Quote from: SM on Jan 19, 2017, 11:01:29 PM
We don't know how long the Queen was there.  And I wasn't talking about her.
I was trolling

echobbase79

echobbase79

Isn't the life cycle like ten minutes in AvP?

Infected

Infected

Quote from: echobbase79 on Jan 19, 2017, 10:55:49 PM
For me the pedestrian script.

For an idea he's had since high school, it felt very bland. Alien vs Predator was supposed to be exciting. When I saw it in theaters I was bored.

That's just wrong.
What if, all the AVP movies and Alien movies and Predator movies were everything you could ever wanted from such movies,
would it make you love the franchise more? or would you be bored with it by now because on that level it satisfied your needs.

echobbase79

echobbase79

The sad truth is the movies haven't turned out very good have they?

I've become pretty bored with both series because they're just doing to same old stuff. Of course these movies have similar motifs to them that are always going to be there. So there's no escaping that. I just wish they'd play around with the mythology more and take some chances, but it's got to be done right. Sequels like Resurrection added some new elements, but turned out to be a shoddy film. 

Infected

Infected

Quote from: echobbase79 on Jan 19, 2017, 11:21:44 PM
The sad truth is the movies haven't turned out very good have they?

I've become pretty bored with both series because they're just doing to same old stuff. Of course these movies have similar motifs to them that are always going to be there. So there's no escaping that. I just wish they'd play around with the mythology more and take some chances, but it's got to be done right. Sequels like Resurrection added some new elements, but turned out to be a shoddy film.
Yes and no, their not good but every now and then i watch them, but i havent watched them for a long time now and ive grown older so if i watch them now, its possible i will never watch them again.

I have this with Star Wars, after years now there is Rogue One, and im satisfied that finally someone has filled my need with a real Star Wars feel, TFA was a huge let down for me, but i gave up, im content with Rogue One, i know what is coming especially from the story line im not gonna like it, as for the anthology movies i think there will be good ones, but im content with the franchise.
As with these series, i know its f**king hard to do a good new predator movie or alien movie, i know Ridley will deliver a good movie, but it wont satisfy my nor will Blomkamp.

Randomizer

Randomizer

Quote from: echobbase79 link=topic=52640.msg2171264#msg2171264

This is also present in the comics and is what has stopped me from being a hardcore fan of the franchise.

I haven't read the books so I can't comment on those yet.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Well comics wise you have the original AVP series which is classic and does pretty much exactly what you'd want it to do with the two creatures.

Then you have gems like Labyrinth, and Destroying Angels. (Or one of my favorite AVP shorts, "Chained to Life and Death.") Sure, there's a lot of shit, but I think the comics offer some of the "change of pace" that the films need to start injection.

I never bought into Anderson's supposed "I've been planning this for years." nonsense. Because in reality it feels like he took a couple of ideas from the original AVP comic, dropped in his own blande go-nowhere uninspired characters, wrapped the entire thing in a layer f Von Daniken, and called it a day.

AvPR is exactly what you'd expect Hollywood to do with the idea. It's a straight up, shameless, classless slasher film. It's interestingly enough exactly what ALIEN and PREDATOR could have been if lesser directors had been involved.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jan 20, 2017, 09:37:30 PM
Well comics wise you have the original AVP series which is classic and does pretty much exactly what you'd want it to do with the two creatures.

Then you have gems like Labyrinth, and Destroying Angels. (Or one of my favorite AVP shorts, "Chained to Life and Death.") Sure, there's a lot of shit, but I think the comics offer some of the "change of pace" that the films need to start injection.

I never bought into Anderson's supposed "I've been planning this for years." nonsense. Because in reality it feels like he took a couple of ideas from the original AVP comic, dropped in his own blande go-nowhere uninspired characters, wrapped the entire thing in a layer f Von Daniken, and called it a day.

AvPR is exactly what you'd expect Hollywood to do with the idea. It's a straight up, shameless, classless slasher film. It's interestingly enough exactly what ALIEN and PREDATOR could have been if lesser directors had been involved.

Shane Salerno is also to blame here. He took Anderson's already mediocre script and turned it into a shitty one. And I'm sure everyone knows (or has read) about his abysmal first draft of Requiem. Probably the worst script I've ever read.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

That's actually the only unproduced Alien/Predator script I've never read. I must track it down one day.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed