Has AvPR improved wih age?

Started by Perfect-Organism, Mar 25, 2015, 03:59:06 PM

Author
Has AvPR improved wih age? (Read 83,874 times)

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Quote from: Nostromo on Jul 26, 2016, 12:50:23 AM
I don't know if Blomkamp gets it. When I see Ripley wearing a cone made from some Alien armor on her head...I just don't know...That's the kind of crap Anderson was promoting in 2003 for AVP. Next time I see that picture of conehead Ripley I'm going to whip my phone across the room or crack a screen.

I understand we need an Aliens type movie though, many people craving a good one like that.

I'm just grateful we have the Alien director making a friggin Alien trilogy wooooohoooo. :)

After Prometheus I actually want Scott to stay as far away from the Alien franchise as possible.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Jul 26, 2016, 08:58:36 PM
Quote from: Nostromo on Jul 26, 2016, 12:50:23 AM
I don't know if Blomkamp gets it. When I see Ripley wearing a cone made from some Alien armor on her head...I just don't know...That's the kind of crap Anderson was promoting in 2003 for AVP. Next time I see that picture of conehead Ripley I'm going to whip my phone across the room or crack a screen.

I understand we need an Aliens type movie though, many people craving a good one like that.

I'm just grateful we have the Alien director making a friggin Alien trilogy wooooohoooo. :)

After Prometheus I actually want Scott to stay as far away from the Alien franchise as possible.

Youre in luck then considering he has the reigns to the entire franchise now.

And its good because with all its faults Prometheus is still the best film the franchise has seen since alien3. It really can't get any worse and stagnant than the avp films anyway so I say let Scott do as he wishes. His worst film is still better than resurrection/avp/avpr IMO.

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

I just rewatched both AVP films tonight. And no, it absolutely has not gotten better with age. I'd actually love to go into my thoughts on AVP in length, should I find the appropriate thread. It tried. Truly, it did, but it came up short. How short depends on who you ask. I can't say the same for AvPR. I don't think I've ever watched a movie with less shame. Did we ever get a verdict on whether or not the PredAlien ate that nursery? Anyways, the only aspects of the film that truly peak my interest are the moments spent w/ Wolf. He's a badass, & introduced us to new Predator technology. Ultimately however, he sucks at his job. Aliens straight up took over, & would have piliaged the Earth had OWLF not nuked suburban Colorado off the map. If one isn't concerned with quality, the film can be entertaining, in the same way the Sharknado films are entertaining. It would take a lot to unseat Requiem as the worst film either the Alien or Predator franchises have to offer. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen.

windebieste

windebieste

The first 'AvP' is pretty dumb fun.  The first time I saw it, I was just outright disappointed - actually, I was outright disappointed when I first heard the synopsis:  A group of scientists go to Antarctica and find a pyramid full of Aliens being hunted by Predators.  It was just a laughable premise.  Predictably, I suffered sitting through the movie.  Yeah. It was disappointing.

Later I twigged onto what Anderson had actually accomplished, possibly inadvertently, was a movie in the mold of something that ER Burroughs, Arthur C Doyle or H Rider Haggard would have written.  A pulp story of 'Boys Own Adventure' quality where a bunch of explorers visit a remote part of the world and the wild adventures that they have there. 

In this regard I began to appreciate the movie very differently.  It was no longer a Lovecraftian experience - and it was certainly no 'At the Mountains of Madness' which some people claim it to resemble in some ways.  I certainly understand the reference but the tone is more in alignment with something like 'The Lost World' or 'At the Earths Core'.  Wild adventure stories I grew up reading.

For me, this was the movie's saving grace.  It brought home to me what it would be like if ER Burroughs had written a story featuring Aliens and Predators.  It was a fundamental shift in perspective that allowed me to gain some form of recompense from the disappointment and watch the movie with a differently aligned sense of appreciation. 

'AvP' certainly isn't a great movie by a long shot and it sits near the bottom of terms of my ability to appreciate it, but by goodness!  It's the best piece of 1930's pulp action adventure I've seen featuring these antagonists.  I sometimes wonder what the movie would have been like if it was shot as a period adventure piece of that era, contemporary to 'King Kong'.  How much more digestible would it be if the characters were carrying state of the art firepower in the form of carbines and tommy guns, exploring the cold dark confines of that accursed pyramid?  Now that would have been a totally amazing experience.

As for 'AvP-R', it's complete garbage. The only way I can reconcile myself with that movie is that maybe one day Asylum studios will remake it.  At least you can see what kind of nonsense is going on in their movies.

-Windebieste.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 26, 2016, 09:51:41 PMAnd its good because with all its faults Prometheus is still the best film the franchise has seen since alien3.

I'd never say Resurrection is a better movie than Prometheus, but I find it far more entertaining, just because it's more successful at what it's trying to be.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Nostromo on Jul 26, 2016, 07:13:32 PM
Hey Hicks! You think an interview for a future podcast with a Straus bro would be possible? Maybe tell him we want to reminisce and reflect on what happened and to ask about AVP3. Like that poster said, ask him if it's an idea he has on paper, or is it already written, LOL.  ;D

I can quite confidently say that that isn't ever going to happen.  :laugh:

Kaltes

Kaltes

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 27, 2016, 08:01:55 AM
Quote from: Nostromo on Jul 26, 2016, 07:13:32 PM
Hey Hicks! You think an interview for a future podcast with a Straus bro would be possible? Maybe tell him we want to reminisce and reflect on what happened and to ask about AVP3. Like that poster said, ask him if it's an idea he has on paper, or is it already written, LOL.  ;D

I can quite confidently say that that isn't ever going to happen.  :laugh:

You could still ask, never know until you try. Not like they're doing anything. XD

System Apollo

System Apollo

QuoteI was outright disappointed when I first heard the synopsis:  A group of scientists go to Antarctica and find a pyramid full of Aliens being hunted by Predators.

And this was usually followed with a rating that gave the film less than 50% when I saw it online.  :laugh:

Put this in perspective; a film called Coming to America had less of a budget but brought in more revenue than the two AvP films combined.

Let that sink in...

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

Quote from: System Apollo on Jul 27, 2016, 07:13:01 PM
QuoteI was outright disappointed when I first heard the synopsis:  A group of scientists go to Antarctica and find a pyramid full of Aliens being hunted by Predators.

And this was usually followed with a rating that gave the film less than 50% when I saw it online.  :laugh:

Put this in perspective; a film called Coming to America had less of a budget but brought in more revenue than the two AvP films combined.

Let that sink in...

That's a very random & specific comparison...

System Apollo

System Apollo

I should have put it in context. :-[

I was trying to point that it was a mediocre comedy from the 80's and that it's rather disappointing to see it generate more income than our beloved AvP...

I'm starting to regret pointing that out now... :lol:

Nostromo

Nostromo

Quote from: System Apollo on Jul 28, 2016, 12:21:04 AM

It happens lol

g2vd

g2vd

Quote from: System Apollo on Jul 28, 2016, 12:21:04 AM
I was trying to point that it was a mediocre comedy from the 80's and that it's rather disappointing to see it generate more income than our beloved AvP...

Darth Vader finds you're lack of quality taste in movies disturbing.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DXze55Z2GuY

Come on you can't hate a movie that has Vader's voice actor.

System Apollo

System Apollo

Hey!
In Zamumba no one can hear you scream...

Perfect-Organism

That Vader spoof was hilarious!  😆

cyperon

cyperon

Mediocre acting and human characters that are mostly boring aside, I honestly find more enjoyment in AvP:R than Anderson's piece. I think if it had been made in the early or mid 90s, it would be a cult classic. The acting reminds me of what you get out of an Asylum release like Sharknado and the like, but the creature effects in Requiem are something to be appreciated - again, had it been made ten years earlier, I think it would have been more highly regarded.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed