Alien 5 won't be titled Alien 5, won't tread on Prometheus 2

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Mar 21, 2015, 02:48:51 PM

Author
Alien 5 won't be titled Alien 5, won't tread on Prometheus 2 (Read 76,616 times)

Born Of Cold Light

One good thing that might come out of this is an adult Newt, who has alot of potential.  She could go either way in terms of personality; a kind soul who dedicates her life to helping people, especially children, or a deeply scarred, morbid individual who traverses the galaxy simultaneously chasing and running from her demons.

p1nk81cd

QuoteI can say that it will do well commercially because fans are going to go see this movie, even fans that are already trashing this movie. We're suckers for this sort of shit. And it's true.

Damn right! I'm gonna see it and I hate it, stupid fan obligation! WTH is wrong with us?!

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Mar 22, 2015, 02:57:25 AM
One good thing that might come out of this is an adult Newt, who has alot of potential.  She could go either way in terms of personality; a kind soul who dedicates her life to helping people, especially children, or a deeply scarred, morbid individual who traverses the galaxy simultaneously chasing and running from her demons.

Now that I like the sound of  :)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: The Other Mr. Runner on Mar 22, 2015, 03:01:26 AM
Damn right! I'm gonna see it and I hate it, stupid fan obligation! WTH is wrong with us?!

I did the same thing with PREDATORS.. Chances are I'm probably gonna do the same thing with this movie. Of course, I'm at a point where I just do not really care too much anymore. But then again, I don't care much about the Alien franchise as I do with Predator.. Soooooooo... Yeah. But I understand why people are so frustrated. I mean I liked Alien 3.. Resurrection? Eeeeh.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Mar 22, 2015, 03:06:06 AM
Quote from: The Other Mr. Runner on Mar 22, 2015, 03:01:26 AM

I did the same thing with PREDATORS.. Chances are I'm probably gonna do the same thing with this movie. Of course, I'm at a point where I just do not really care too much anymore. But then again, I don't care much about the Alien franchise as I do with Predator.. Soooooooo... Yeah. But I understand why people are so frustrated. I mean I liked Alien 3.. Resurrection? Eeeeh.

In the cases of AVP:R and PREDS, there was at least some curiosity; I wasn't psyched about them but I still wanted to watch them at one point.

When it comes to A5, I'm just hopelessly bored and pissed off, both at the same time. I'm not one hit curious about what this movie has to offer or what the story will be about, because to me it just seems like a terrible fanfic scenario sponsored by FOX.

Nightmare Asylum

I don't get why people are clinging to the "Aliens-fanboy" thing when Blomkamp keeps referring to it as "Scott's world" and stated that after seeing Alien in a theater setting it might have surpassed Aliens for him. Not being fond of the direction Alien 3 went in does not automatically make one an Aliens-fanboy that only acknowledges Alien by association.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Mar 22, 2015, 04:09:26 AM
When it comes to A5, I'm just hopelessly bored and pissed off, both at the same time. I'm not one hit curious about what this movie has to offer or what the story will be about, because to me it just seems like a terrible fanfic scenario sponsored by FOX.

I completely understand your disappointment and frustration. I really do, because what you are feeling is how I went through with PREDATORS. I mean right now, I am at a point where.. I just don't care anymore. I mean that's not entirely true because I do care in someway but more like.. I see the franchises as broken now and see no point in getting hyped up.

Then again, practically almost EVERY franchise that came out in the 1970s and 1980s seems to be going through some sort of massive change. All of them are.. I mean Terminator Genesys is completely tossing the Terminator timeline by over-writing it while taking place during the first movie. Point is... everything is changing. Personally, I don't like it. And now Alien is changing too.

I liked Alien 3. I liked Alien 3 even more when I saw the Assembly cut and I made the Assembly Cut my preferred version. And then there is a Workprint version which is said to be even better. Resurrection, I could do without and I ignore as it's set in the far, far future.

From how I see things, and I point to the multiverse/alternate timeline thread which I remember you seeming to warm up to... there maybe a multiverse or alternate timeline going on.

But I have to ask.. Why did you like Alien 3 and what are your thoughts on Resurrection?

NickisSmart

I'm disappointed. I wanted me some references to Engineers.

Bio Mech Hunter

Bio Mech Hunter

Aw, come on. This was bound to happen if Blomkamp wanted to explore the space jockeys engineers more in depth - still upset with Ridley and the direction he took them in.

Anyway, I'm more concerned about this:

http://www.aliensversuspredator.net/news/weyland-yutani-using-mind-controlled-xenomorphs-in-alien-5

Close Encounters

Quote from: The Other Mr. Runner on Mar 22, 2015, 01:52:21 AM
He won't trod on Prometheus' toes-- but he'll piss in the faces of fans of AlienĀ³ and Resurrection all with a grin on his twaty little face? God, I wanna punch this director in the dickhead.

f**k him. f**k him with a rusty chib, sew buttons to his eye lids and rub a badger's rancid, hoaching arse in his face. The dirty little bastard claims he isn't getting rid of 3&4, but the next time we hear from him, he appears to be doing exactly that?!

Who let this one note f**k get a hold of Alien---F_U_C_K YOU FOX!

Well, the people who loved Alien/Aliens and hated Alien 3 already paid their dues when it comes to face-pissing. I guess Fox figures that it's time everyone else did.

Personally, I found A:R to be a pretty decent flick as long as you turn your brain off and just let yourself enjoy it for what it is. The action is fun, some of the characters are enjoyable to watch. It's basically a high-budget Sci-fi Channel movie. Which is fine. I enjoy those kind of movies.

A3, I just can't be so kind to. Even forgiving the fact that they killed half the characters from the last movie within minutes(and in the most lazy way possible, I might add), it's a film with no one to root for, nobody to care about, and very little to take away after you're done watching it. And that damned egg never ceases to bother the living hell out of me. The film's basic premise is the epitome of lazy writing. "There's an egg on the Sulaco just because. We'll kill off Newt/Hicks because of 'dark tone' and they bother us. Here's a bunch of generic prisoner/monks for the new Alien to kill. And Ripley should die because Sigourney is tired of playing her.' Fincher's directing is the one thing that saved the whole film from being a complete mess, and even he disowns the film.

I honestly think both movies are better as dreams. All plotholes and bad writing can be forgiven in dreams. In no way do I want Blomkamp to actually acknowledge this possibility. Featuring a living Ripley/Newt/Hicks 30 years after Aliens would be all I'd need. Alien 3 would take on a whole new meaning for me. It would be a true nightmare for Ripley/Newt/Hicks, something they wake up still wondering if it was real, still wondering if an egg really DID get on the Sulaco.

Course, I fully expect to be called an 'Aliens fanboy' for holding this opinion. Which is fine, since it's mostly true. I just get tired of people acting as if that's a bad thing.

Jarac

I just find it ironic of the die-hard Alien 3/Resurrection fans saying thay the movie sucks because of "butt-hurt Aliens fanboys" and are being butt-hurt fanboys themselves.

OmegaZilla

Quote from: NickisSmart on Mar 22, 2015, 05:22:26 AM
I'm disappointed. I wanted me some references to Engineers.
You'll probably get them -- it's Scott's World...

stroggificated

Quote from: Close Encounters on Mar 22, 2015, 07:58:05 AM
it's a film with no one to root for, nobody to care about, and very little to take away after you're done watching it.

I was kinda down when Clemens and 85 have been killed.
Clemens could have been the new Hicks and 85 never met his family again, because he was stupid.
I mean, certainly the protagonist in the new alien game won't be killed by WY, so why would they kill 85?  ;D

Nightmare Asylum

Son Of Kane

Quote from: Jarac on Mar 22, 2015, 09:29:28 AM
I just find it ironic of the die-hard Alien 3/Resurrection fans saying thay the movie sucks because of "butt-hurt Aliens fanboys" and are being butt-hurt fanboys themselves.

This

BringbackJonesy!

I see some here are referring to Blomkamp's upcoming sequel to ALIENS as being mere 'fan fiction'.  Fair enough, but it's a meaningless kind of put-down as ALIEN 3 and ALIEN RESURRECTION can equally be looked on as being just that too.  In fact, the same can be said of *every* sequel (and prequel) that came about after the success of what was initially conceived as a 'stand-alone' movie storyline - so for instance, ALIENS itself can be looked on as just being a speculative 'fan fiction' follow-up to ALIEN too.

I'd argue that certain sequels and prequels can be said to have more 'official' credence about them if they were made by the *exact same* writers and director's as the original hit, but everything else is basically 'Expanded Universe'/'fan fiction' type stuff in a certain sense.

Me?, I loved a lot of Cameron's 'fan fiction' follow-up to what Ridley's team originally gave us.  And while I'd have been happy to see a Cameron follow-up to ALIEN which *didn't* feel the need to feature Sigourney's surviving character from the original story, he gave me a movie I liked at the end of the day.  Personally, I can't say the same for ALIEN 3 and ALIEN RESURRECTION came next...so I'm all for this new concept of Blomkamp's. 

While I'd love if he had the audacity to specifically hint at ALIEN 3 and ALIEN RESURRECTION as being 'cryo-nightmare's' onscreen, I very much doubt if he will do so (or even be allowed to)...but if he somehow implies this is an 'alternative universe' type thing onscreen, then I will be disappointed.  Yes, I could just look on the other 2 movies as being the ones from an 'alternative universe' to ALIEN and ALIENS, and that Blomkamp's version is what *actually* happened next...but I'd rather he didn't make *any* kind of reference to them whatsoever.  That way, fans can just choose the particular 'fan fiction' they choose to prefer, be it Blomkamp's movie storyline or Fincher's movie storyline.

I'm just still taking it in the fact that Sigourney has agreed to something which seems to totally exclude a direct follow-up to her 'Ripley 8 clone' character whatsoever.  But let's face it, she *already* backtracked from 'killing off' her best known onscreen role once, and probably realises this is a last chance to revive the glory days somewhat...in a way that a direct sequel 'fan fiction' to ALIEN RESURRECTION never would!   ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed