Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 302,612 times)

NickisSmart

Define "understand the whole series." That being said, he can probably manage the visual side of things. But what is the series actually about as a whole? Tonally each film is completely different. If I were him I'd pick the film to be the same flavor as the first or second film. Forget the series as a whole because you're not going to encapsulate all of it in a single film. Alien was Gothic Horror. Aliens was Action/Suspense. Just go with those concepts. Throw in some uglies. Some guns. Some dystopian retro-futuristic settings...

gabgrave

I'll be glad if Blomkamp knows that he doesn't 'understand' the series. Because that means he'll be actively looking for ways to expand his knowledge of the universe, and explore new options. Rather than picking any single one theme and running along with it, it would be better if he picked those parts that were good, and mixed them into his own style, to come up with something unique.

NetworkATTH

In what world would anyone take the brainless Dark Horse comics into serious consideration to be acknowledged in film, is my opinion.

predxeno

Paul WS Anderson for one. :-\

SpeedyMaxx

Sure, but he's a hack no one takes seriously either.

NetworkATTH

There is one good thing from that film, and that's the animation.

I wouldn't mind he borrow choreography ideas from AvP. I mean, the Queen itself, despite the design being badly watered down, does have some brilliant movements. I think you can take the more smooth movements of the Queen in that film, and keep going with that.

The movements fit the idea of the Queen better than those in Aliens, despite, Aliens having the better design. If you get what I'm saying. If you could mesh the two, it'd be brilliant.

Example of what I'm talking about

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

The Aliens in that movie loved using their tail. Damn.

SiL

The Queen in Aliens moved like a 14 foot tall awkwardly-shaped monster designed to sit on its arse all its life would walk: awkward as f**k.

The AvP Queen was a T-Rex in a rubber suit.

OpenMaw

Quote from: SiL on Mar 08, 2015, 09:23:58 AM
The Queen in Aliens moved like a 14 foot tall awkwardly-shaped monster designed to sit on its arse all its life would walk: awkward as f**k.

The shot of the AVP Queen running through the temple, and the wide shot of it after it comes out of the ice are just... Ugh. The animation is all wrong.

Magegg

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 08, 2015, 03:21:42 PM

The shot of the AVP Queen running through the temple, and the wide shot of it after it comes out of the ice are just... Ugh. The animation is all wrong.
Yes, yes, this f**king yes :D I'm glad to see I'm not the only one, that queen running didn't move like xeno at all!

NickisSmart

If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the original queen. No post production effects. Just clever camera work and object manipulation.

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: NetworkATTH on Mar 08, 2015, 04:32:49 AM
In what world would anyone take the brainless Dark Horse comics into serious consideration to be acknowledged in film, is my opinion.

Now that I think of it a bit more, I believe A:R also took a LOT of direction from the Aliens comics as well, even the novelization (which is based on the script) references the comics as a valid source in its plot.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Magegg on Mar 08, 2015, 03:33:16 PM
Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 08, 2015, 03:21:42 PM

Yes, yes, this f**king yes :D I'm glad to see I'm not the only one, that queen running didn't move like xeno at all!

She moves like Zilla

NetworkATTH

Literally, you're right. Figuritavely, that's not that great, especially in computer animation. I think there's more you can do with its character than just that. It's a cinematic icon for being a disgusting femme fatale, not a giant bug. Well, it's a bit of both. It's design had a figurative corsette on it. I get what you're saying though, I prefer, as much as it pains me to admit it, the fluid style of the way the Queen in AvP moved in certain scenes.

The Tyrannosaurus Rex running and its overall design are terrible. It should run, awkwardly, I think there's a middle ground where it's not totally awkward and disconnects you from the film.

SiL

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 08, 2015, 04:57:48 PM
Now that I think of it a bit more, I believe A:R also took a LOT of direction from the Aliens comics as well, even the novelization (which is based on the script) references the comics as a valid source in its plot.
When?

Quote from: NetworkATTH on Mar 08, 2015, 07:39:09 PM
Figuritavely, that's not that great, especially in computer animation. I think there's more you can do with its character than just that. It's a cinematic icon for being a disgusting femme fatale, not a giant bug.
I'd rather she actually have character, and characteristics, than be cookie-cutter. That's what AvP gave us: she's just every other big monster post-CGI. The Queen in Aliens is a unique, horrible, convincing pile of nasty (some dodgy shots aside). That's why she's memorable.

She shouldn't move quickly, or run with any sort of agility. Those sorts of imperfections in it make it more convincing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed