Alien Isolation : Post Mortem

Started by hellrasinbrasin, Nov 16, 2014, 09:15:18 AM

Author
Alien Isolation : Post Mortem (Read 18,636 times)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Engineer on Dec 06, 2014, 06:36:31 PM
Quote from: Gate on Dec 06, 2014, 05:22:42 PM
So it got nominated at the VGA's for Best Action Adventure but couldn't compete with Shadows of Mordor in the end.
It was also nominated for best soundtrack, but lost out to destiny...

Can't say I've listened to Destiny but that's a real shame. The sound design in AI was simply stellar.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

It was. But does soundtrack in terms of that award mean sound design, or just music? Because there wasn't a lot of music in the game (although, again, when it was there it was used expertly).

Gate

Gate

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 09, 2014, 10:02:06 AM
It was. But does soundtrack in terms of that award mean sound design, or just music? Because there wasn't a lot of music in the game (although, again, when it was there it was used expertly).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEXMFRkdjrE#ws

This is all that matters, this f**king music that plays once you try to get back to the Torrens, it just throws a suddenly psychotic alien right at you and makes you want to run. Incidentially, I did this mission with not enough flame fuel (Never making that mistake again).

Corporal Hicks

Oooh. Has the soundtrack been ripped?

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 09, 2014, 09:56:10 AM
So it got nominated at the VGA's for Best Action Adventure but couldn't compete with Shadows of Mordor in the end.

Can't say I've listened to Destiny but that's a real shame. The sound design in AI was simply stellar.
I agree. I thought it was brilliant and innovative how the made a dynamic soundtrack too. Music fades in and out based on alien's awareness/situation. That made for a truly cinematic feel! But I think destiny won more because of reputation; they had Marty o'donnell from the halo series. His reputation is immense! I haven't really played destiny; perhaps it had an outstanding soundtrack too! But I don't think alien stood a chance just because everyone already holds Marty o'donnell in such high esteem.

christian.velguth

Quote from: Son Of Kane on Dec 08, 2014, 12:38:09 PM

Ridiculous, Destiny is utter trash.

Yes, but its soundtrack is fantastic.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 17, 2014, 10:31:35 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 17, 2014, 10:21:23 AMThe  Survivor mode isn't enough to really hold up the game - their needed to be more story-driven extra content or a co-op campaign.

Has it been confirmed that there won't be any story DLC?
According to the description for the Season Pass, all the DLC is "Survivor Mode" DLC.

razeak

razeak

Picking either Alien or Destiny for soundtrack/score is splitting hairs. I think there might have been more dynamic use in Alien though. Both are great.

The Dutch Ghost

In general I found this game one of the better Alien games since AVP2 and Aliens Infestation (silly but it was fun).
But by trying to be so accurate to the first game I really feel it did not really add nothing new context wise to the game other than what I do feel is a little bit of a ham fisted personal quest by Amanda Ripley to find out what happened to her mother. (people who have watched the movie series already know the answer, making the quest feel rather unfulfilled. We know already Amanda will never find Ellen Ripley)

So the focus is more on the journey itself which is in general a very good representation of Alien's tense atmosphere and a nice change to a lot of previous games in which the titular creature basically is cannon fodder.

However I do agree with the other poster who said that this game does not fit within the established canon of the franchise.

Spoiler
1. Amanda Ripley has not only faced the creature multiple times, she has also been in a nest and, she knows from Marlow that there is a crashed alien vessel full of these eggs somewhere in the sector she is in, and she never went to any authorities after she made it back to Earth? (we know she made it back as she died at the age of 66. Burke is a bastard but I seriously doubt he would doubt he would doctor her death certificate. If W-Y's upper staff had it done it would lead to 2.)

2. Weyland-Yutani would now know that there creatures would originate from somewhere in this sector. From altering the Nostromo's flight path to a salvage vessel picking up the black box somewhere in the sector where the ship went missing. People analysing this raw data would start putting pieces together and W-Y would probably order any survey drones they have in the region to start searching for anything anomalous. The Jockey ship would still stick out on Acheron.

Now please don't come up with explanations that W-Y had Amanda Ripley's memories altered because that still would not make sense. She would perhaps not remember the experiences on Sevastopol but W-Y would know sufficient to not let anyone not on their payroll go search for the wrecked alien ship and its contents.
Burke sure as hell would have been found out if he had launched his own personal investigation into the wrecked ship, any transmissions containing certain keywords towards this part of space would have triggered an alarm at the upper offices.

It is ridiculous to think that W-Y would wait more than fifty years to search for the source of the xenomorph population again when they already have some necessary details.
[close]

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: The Dutch Ghost on Jan 11, 2015, 11:55:16 AM1. Amanda Ripley has not only faced the creature multiple times, she has also been in a nest and, she knows from Marlow that there is a crashed alien vessel full of these eggs somewhere in the sector she is in, and she never went to any authorities after she made it back to Earth?

Why would she want to tell anyone? Every person of influence who's found out about them has tried to exploit them, leading to disaster, and despite his extreme methods Marlow was absolutely correct - the only way to defeat the Xenomorph is to leave it well alone.

Quote from: The Dutch Ghost on Jan 11, 2015, 11:55:16 AMWeyland-Yutani would now know that there creatures would originate from somewhere in this sector.

River of Pain confirms they know as much. Knowing the vague area of space is very different from knowing the precise location. Space is vast.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Veering a bit off topic but related to Dutch Ghost's post, how did Weyland-Yutani know to send the Nostromo to LV426? Does Ash's special order confirm that they already knew about the alien? And why didn't they send a dedicated explorer, scientific or military vessel instead?

I'm sure I must be the millionth person to ask this, and having been around the AvP community for a decade and a half, you'd think I'd have picked it up by now.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Vertigo on Jan 11, 2015, 01:26:54 PMVeering a bit off topic but related to Dutch Ghost's post, how did Weyland-Yutani know to send the Nostromo to LV426? Does Ash's special order confirm that they already knew about the alien? And why didn't they send a dedicated explorer, scientific or military vessel instead?

I think the idea is they detected the signal and knew something was likely there, but not exactly what. So they discreetly sent the Nostromo to check it out, with Ash programmed to protect any lifeform they might or might not encounter.

Much cheaper and a lot less red tape if you do it on the sly rather than send in a proper research team.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

I think that no one knew about the beacon until the signal was picked up by the Nostromo, and that special order 937 wasn't in effect until the parasite was discovered and Ash and MOTHER started "collating".

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jan 11, 2015, 01:53:53 PMI think that no one knew about the beacon until the signal was picked up by the Nostromo, and that special order 937 wasn't in effect until the parasite was discovered and Ash and MOTHER started "collating".

Except the film makes it clear Ash was put on the ship especially for the trip.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

I don't think that necessarily means they knew there was an alien beforehand, I'm not saying your 100% wrong as that is something I forgot, but when I think about it now for all we know they could of just replaced a human science officer with a synthetic one just to put a new practice into effect.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed