Just Talk.

Started by Amaterasu, Aug 22, 2013, 02:02:12 AM

Author
Just Talk. (Read 622,253 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Majority of members were mostly around your age back then.

Most of us on here now are just a bunch of ol' geezers shouting at clouds.

Kradan

Kradan

:'(

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Kradan on Dec 28, 2021, 07:29:45 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Dec 28, 2021, 07:23:52 PM
Edit ² - Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Aspie the wise?

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/200459c66ff7ddb409b.gif

No, but I would like to

It was a famous dude who belonged to a clique, whose members brought unlimited fun to the threads (pranks, derailments, trolling, etc). I opened my account shortly before they left the site. But I think Kimarhi is the last remaining remnant of their gang.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Dec 28, 2021, 08:19:45 PM

No, but I would like to

It was a famous dude who belonged to a clique, whose members brought unlimited fun to the threads (pranks, derailments, trolling, etc). I opened my account shortly before they left the site. But I think Kimarhi is the last remaining remnant of their gang.

f**k's sake man

You're telling it wrong

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Dec 28, 2021, 09:38:35 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Dec 28, 2021, 08:19:45 PM

No, but I would like to

9 9 6

f**k's sake man

You're telling it wrong

Yeah, that's why I mentioned your name  :laugh:

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Well for starters, if anything I was more active than Kimmy in those circles. It's not a popularity contest, I'm just talking volume of posts/interactions. Omega and NA were welcome fence sitters who regularly drifted between sites during and after the schism.

And indeed, although I believe Fiendishly Inventive TrashQueen BlueMarsalis may have been aware of my scribbles and snarky comments here already, it wasn't until well after The War and founding of UV that we had any real interactions (and it was over there), so clearly she's a surviving element of that era too.

I can also think of another two people who were very active in that clique who still post, although I won't drag them into this (but they're of course, free to comment voluntarily). And another, who could fairly be described as a lynchpin of the group, who no longer posts here but absolutely still lurks.

I'll have to tell Aspie he's being mythologized though, he'll get a good laugh out of it.  :P

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Dec 28, 2021, 09:38:35 PM
But I think Kimarhi is the last remaining remnant of their gang.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

That quote is busted.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Yee.

But out of curiosity what makes you think people from the gang still lurk? I've always believed everyone has gone their own ways and moved on after all these years. Sure I myself came back, albeit for more casual reasoning rather than any sentimentality or whatnot (since that pretty much died with the death of UV), but I just have the gut feeling no one else would even lurk here and have better things to do after all this time.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

It was pointed out to me that there's one account whose "last active" status is updated regularly.

And there's a small handful of people who still irregularly post who were part of that crew, either originally from here or even joining there from elsewhere, but ending up here casually. Meshuggah, for example, came from PrometheusForums but now posts here on occasion.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I never considered myself a member of any clique, but at the time I felt the uncanny boards comprised all of Galaxy's most interesting individuals.  When everyone jumped ship the boards were kind of like the mass effect games without the mass effect crew. 

My forum going with the AvP mythos predates Galaxy by quite a bit of time and even though Galaxy might be the endurance champion of the AvP forums, I still think the best overall forums were the gamegossip ones.  It's just the rise and fall of said forums happened very quickly.  But at its apex GG's AvP forums were my all time favorites with many positive memories. 

My fandom with the franchise has dwindled to almost nothing over the years, and that is more an overall indicator of why I posted so much at uncanny (it wasn't all about AvP over there) and why I post so infrequently over here.

I was gifted the Alien 3 Gibson novelization for Christmas and haven't even opened the book yet.  In the past I would've read it all in a sitting or two.  It is what it is.   

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

@[cancerblack]

Ah.

And by the way if it's not too much trouble could you send Aspie my regards, I even managed to hold on to this souvenir he might still appreciate.

@Kimarhi

I remember one of the last things I did on AvPGalaxy before leaving it behind for UV was attempting to host what I think was the very last annual AvPGalaxy awards in an attempt to try and salvage the situation here but ultimately it was a futile effort, the place just wasn't the same anymore and I was going through some heart ache.

It was similar too when UV went down and I had almost no connections and 100% no closure, but all I could really do was move forward and lived for years without any forums... which actually turned out to have a positive growth effect on me, not that I have any ill-will more so it just is what it is.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Kimarhi on Dec 29, 2021, 05:16:05 AM
But at its apex GG's AvP forums were my all time favorites with many positive memories. 

Same. A good chunk of that is just nostalgia, but it was also a different time where the experience really was better, from a certain point of view, putting that nostalgia aside.

Forums were HUGE at the time, and there were only a handful of lore/space cartography/art depots, - most of the shit we all take for granted now felt like hard-won info at the time because you couldn't just access (almost) every comic or novel with minimal effort/expense. And of course, that EU was much more relevant, because there were significantly fewer movies.

Also shout out to Daemos, wherever that delightfully flaming queen is now.

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Dec 29, 2021, 05:36:01 AM
And by the way if it's not too much trouble could you send Aspie my regard

Yes.png

QuoteI remember one of the last things I did on AvPGalaxy before leaving it behind for UV was attempting to host what I think was the very last annual AvPGalaxy awards in an attempt to try and salvage the situation here but ultimately it was a futile effort

Sounds right.

I had almost no connections and 100% no closure

I found myself there too, but a while later. So it goes.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Dec 29, 2021, 09:25:39 AM
Also shout out to Daemos, wherever that delightfully flaming queen is now.

I enjoyed reading his posts in the caste/cowl debate via the wayback machine.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Reminds me of a noisy classroom with teachers/mods desperately trying to bring in some sort of order

And there was the problem. It might have been fun if you were in that circle - and I honestly enjoyed interacting with them during the early days, playing Halo Reach and etc - but it did hit a point where it was unwelcoming to new people because of what that behavior eventually became.

My forum going with the AvP mythos predates Galaxy by quite a bit of time and even though Galaxy might be the endurance champion of the AvP forums, I still think the best overall forums were the gamegossip ones.  It's just the rise and fall of said forums happened very quickly.  But at its apex GG's AvP forums were my all time favorites with many positive memories.

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Dec 29, 2021, 09:25:39 AM
But at its apex GG's AvP forums were my all time favorites with many positive memories. 

Same. A good chunk of that is just nostalgia, but it was also a different time where the experience really was better, from a certain point of view, putting that nostalgia aside.

Forums were HUGE at the time, and there were only a handful of lore/space cartography/art depots, - most of the shit we all take for granted now felt like hard-won info at the time because you couldn't just access (almost) every comic or novel with minimal effort/expense. And of course, that EU was much more relevant, because there were significantly fewer movies.

I was a member of GG too. But I was a youngster. I waited until I was 12 (as per the rules) before I registered. And AvP News and GG are the nostalgia of my early days within fandom too. But I like that things aren't that hard now. The ease of access to those materials doesn't take away the theory crafting or discussion. And I still find new stuff - I absolutely love reading the Letter pages of the singles and finding out opinions or potential releases from those days.

My fandom with the franchise has dwindled to almost nothing over the years, and that is more an overall indicator of why I posted so much at uncanny (it wasn't all about AvP over there) and why I post so infrequently over here.

None A/P topics are very welcome - There's a reason we have General sections. That was the never the issue with the UV folk.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed