What made you happy today?

Started by Rick Grimes, Feb 08, 2013, 03:09:06 PM

Author
What made you happy today? (Read 599,726 times)

Huggs

Huggs

It's so warm out tonight that I was able to walk in shorts and a t shirt.

Not bad for December

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Huggs on Dec 09, 2019, 12:34:40 AM

Not bad for December

If you did that up here, your insides would freeze.

Huggs

Huggs

It's unusual for this time of year, but we'll take it.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Dec 09, 2019, 02:04:28 AM
Quote from: Huggs on Dec 09, 2019, 12:34:40 AM

Not bad for December

If you did that up here, your insides would freeze.

My bed gets so warm I have to strip down to the old undies, but the moment I step out the covers it's like being with Lex and co. in the Antarctic.

Quote from: Huggs on Dec 08, 2019, 09:00:41 PM
German Americans do, but I don't know how they do it in the fatherland.

Let me down with your cultural knowledge!

Huggs

Huggs

65 degrees out today, with freezing temperatures and two inches of snow expected tomorrow. Good ol' southern weather.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 09, 2019, 08:19:17 AM

Let me down with your cultural knowledge!

As far as I'm aware, some German Americans celebrate it by leaving their shoes near the fireplace, either with gifts for Saint Nicholas and his animals, or to receive gifts from him. Primarily, I've heard that it's celebrated by filling each other's stockings with small gifts and candy. Some families, like ours, treated it as a night where Santa supposedly came to check on the behavior of the kids before Christmas.

Like others, we keep it simple. Everybody has a stocking and gets a Christmas card, some candy, and a small gift like a book or movie that we asked for and then we have dinner. I almost prefer it to Christmas, as it's not as chaotic. You still have a tree and decorations out,  but nobody is spending a fortune on presents and tons of time on shopping, cooking, cleaning things up, hauling food to other houses, etc. It's got nearly the same feeling as Christmas with only 5% of the stress.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

I have to say, one of the only upshots of not having much in the way of living family, is that christmas is super easy. Buy my dad some chocolate and then roast a leg of lamb, job done. No travel, no decorating, no gifts for relatives I only see once a year. It's chill.

Huggs

Huggs

We've gone from about 20 people to 5. Though not all of that was due to deaths. There's something to be said for a simple Christmas. The debt, the travel, the stress, it just doesn't appeal to me anymore. I'll always love Christmas most, but I have no desire to go back to the old ways again. A quiet and peaceful day with my loved ones is how I like it.

Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

Got my Christmas bonus in. Will help my bank account recover from Christmas shopping.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Nyarlathotep on Dec 13, 2019, 01:14:55 AM
Got my Christmas bonus in. Will help my bank account recover from Christmas shopping.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

New Expanse to watch this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

My buddy's three episodes in and says it's good!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Did you ever get around to watching it?

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Why watch something when you can read something!  ;)

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Been asked to take part in a charity concert next year. Should be fun.

Haven't sung in front of a crowd for years

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 13, 2019, 11:52:05 AMDid you ever get around to watching it?

First three seasons, yeah. Really loved the first two story arcs they did, enjoyed the third but not as much. Hope to make a start on the new season this weekend, if we get the time!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed