What made you happy today?

Started by Rick Grimes, Feb 08, 2013, 03:09:06 PM

Author
What made you happy today? (Read 599,598 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Valaquen on Jul 24, 2018, 11:04:13 PM
After a long, long respite I dove back into writing my book and sent out some samples to a couple of trusted folk. It's blooming grrrreat to have something (semi)readable before your eyes after hunching my back for so long.

Great news, I've been wondering how the "Future Noir" of Alien was coming along!

Have you got a publisher in mind and have you procured an interview with the "Guv'nor" yet?

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 25, 2018, 09:32:27 PM
Have you got a publisher in mind and have you procured an interview with the "Guv'nor" yet?

I've spoken very tentatively to someone, and will get in touch with them again soon with... something. I can only be vague  :laugh:

I doubt Ridley would waste his time on me. I don't know how to get in touch with folk of his stature either. That's beyond me completely  :-[ If I had Corporal Hicks, a net, and some stogies, however...

xeno_alpha_07

xeno_alpha_07

Quote from: Valaquen on Jul 25, 2018, 06:06:45 PM
It's called Strange Shapes: The Making of Alien. Very self-explanatory!  :laugh: I won stuff for writing fiction back at university. Maybe that's an idea for the future  8)

Yes! can't wait for this  ;D 8)  Good to see you back as well mate.  I was wondering where you had got to.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: Valaquen on Jul 25, 2018, 06:06:45 PM
Quote from: Darwinsgirl on Jul 25, 2018, 05:31:20 PM

Glad its coming together to your satisfaction often we're our own worst critics. ;)

May I inquire is it fiction or non-fiction?   I don't need to know genre or subject. I enjoy your blog so much. I know your good at writing non-fiction. 8)

And your articles flow well so I would think you would write fiction well too.

Maybe one day your book will grace my shelves. ;D

It's called Strange Shapes: The Making of Alien. Very self-explanatory!  :laugh: I won stuff for writing fiction back at university. Maybe that's an idea for the future  8)

Signed copy please

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Valaquen on Jul 25, 2018, 10:11:43 PM
I doubt Ridley would waste his time on me. I don't know how to get in touch with folk of his stature either. That's beyond me completely  :-[ If I had Corporal Hicks, a net, and some stogies, however...

I'm sure he'd be more than happy to grant you a little time when he learns what your book is about. He made time for several interviews with Paul Sammon while he was writing Future Noir. An exclusive interview or even just a foreword would certainly help raise the profile and commercial potential of the book if nothing else. Also an opportunity to get to the bottom of the "box alien" myth and tie up other loose ends.

Best bet might be to talk to Charles de Lauzirika, he'd probably be all over this kind of book anyway. Or otherwise through Scott's company, Scott Free Productions which would probably take a while to yield results. Corporal Hicks was also hobnobbing with the old man last year, maybe he has some contacts as well?  :laugh:

426Buddy

426Buddy

Glad youre still working on the book Valaquen. I occasionally return to Strange Shapes hoping to get my fix  :laugh:. I know you've been busy with the book and other things so I havent been surprised that there isnt anything new. Still I keep checking just in case ;)

Huggs

Huggs

Went into the big town today. On the way home I decided to get some gas. I was on a long downhill section of this two lane highway. Both lanes were blocked by trucks. The one in my lane was an 18 wheeler, empty load, flat bed style non-boxed. The kind that'll take your head clean off if you hit it at speed. Both lanes were blocked nearly to the guard rails.

The gas station was only about 100 yards past these guys. So I pulled in and did what I had to do. But when I went to leave, I had to apply some brake to slow down alittle. Well, my brake pedal went all the way forward and the car didn't want to stop.

My brakes had gone out. Totally. If they had gone out 20 seconds or 2 pumps earlier, I'd have only gained speed and would've hit one of those trucks doing probably 65mph+. Adios amigo. But the brakes go out once I'm safe and sound in a parking lot doing 1mph from dead stop? The Lord was with me today. Made it back to my family. Being safe and alive is reason enough to be happy.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Jesus. I was sat here reading thinking - this better end well. I'm glad to hear you're okay, man!

Went to London Film and Comic Con at the weekend to add William Hope and Barbara Coles to my poster.

I also picked up a quad for Alien DC and a one-sheet for The Predator. I brought an Engineer (Chair Suit) figure and I became part of the problem and got a little vinyl Alien from Titan's Nostromo collection. I've named him Alfred. He'll be one of our mascot's from now on.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Did you manage to ask Coles where the name Mary came from? :laugh:

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 30, 2018, 04:22:13 AMMy brakes had gone out. Totally. If they had gone out 20 seconds or 2 pumps earlier, I'd have only gained speed and would've hit one of those trucks doing probably 65mph+. Adios amigo. But the brakes go out once I'm safe and sound in a parking lot doing 1mph from dead stop? The Lord was with me today. Made it back to my family. Being safe and alive is reason enough to be happy.

Yeah, as Hicks says, really glad that didn't go any worse than it did.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 30, 2018, 08:56:29 AM
Did you manage to ask Coles where the name Mary came from? :laugh:

Nah. Did my usual and was unable to really say something to her. Shame because I managed to at least chat a little to Bill Hope. Really wanted to invite her onto the podcast too so was pretty f**ked off with myself. I just can't talk to them at these events.

PredBabe

PredBabe

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 30, 2018, 04:22:13 AM
Went into the big town today. On the way home I decided to get some gas. I was on a long downhill section of this two lane highway. Both lanes were blocked by trucks. The one in my lane was an 18 wheeler, empty load, flat bed style non-boxed. The kind that'll take your head clean off if you hit it at speed. Both lanes were blocked nearly to the guard rails.

The gas station was only about 100 yards past these guys. So I pulled in and did what I had to do. But when I went to leave, I had to apply some brake to slow down alittle. Well, my brake pedal went all the way forward and the car didn't want to stop.

My brakes had gone out. Totally. If they had gone out 20 seconds or 2 pumps earlier, I'd have only gained speed and would've hit one of those trucks doing probably 65mph+. Adios amigo. But the brakes go out once I'm safe and sound in a parking lot doing 1mph from dead stop? The Lord was with me today. Made it back to my family. Being safe and alive is reason enough to be happy.

Damn, glad you're alright! And very true, being alive is enough of a reason, it's easy to forget and take that for granted sometimes.

Well to add to the topic of the thread, my future sister in law asked me to be a bridesmaid in her wedding so I thought that was exciting. I'll get to find out why everyone hates being a bridesmaid so much!

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Glad you're ok, dude!

Quote from: PredBabe on Jul 30, 2018, 12:27:11 PM
Well to add to the topic of the thread, my future sister in law asked me to be a bridesmaid in her wedding so I thought that was exciting. I'll get to find out why everyone hates being a bridesmaid so much!

I think it depends on whether you're dealing with a Bridezilla or not  :laugh:

MudButt

MudButt

No longer have to go to court tomorrow as a witness since the lady plead guilty so I won't lose hours this pay period thankfully. The current company I work for has shitty vacation/sick day policies so taking time off isn't an option for now.

I take my test this Saturday for the Sheriff's Department to be a Deputy Sheriff in the Jails/Courts. Hope it works out so I can get out of this place!

PredBabe

PredBabe

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Jul 31, 2018, 06:03:21 PM

Glad you're ok, dude!

Quote from: PredBabe on Jul 30, 2018, 12:27:11 PM

I think it depends on whether you're dealing with a Bridezilla or not  :laugh:

Bridezilla might meet her match!  :D

Fortunately I think she'll be kind of easygoing for the wedding... unless she starts to freak right before her big day. I like the color she picked for the bridesmaid dresses at least. Forest green!

Quote from: MudButt on Jul 31, 2018, 07:01:29 PM
No longer have to go to court tomorrow as a witness since the lady plead guilty so I won't lose hours this pay period thankfully. The current company I work for has shitty vacation/sick day policies so taking time off isn't an option for now.

I take my test this Saturday for the Sheriff's Department to be a Deputy Sheriff in the Jails/Courts. Hope it works out so I can get out of this place!

Good luck!

MudButt

MudButt

Appreciate it!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed