Dark Horse Fire and Stone (Prometheus/Aliens/AvP/Predator/Omega): All Reviews

Started by happypred, Sep 09, 2014, 07:43:43 AM

Author
Dark Horse Fire and Stone (Prometheus/Aliens/AvP/Predator/Omega): All Reviews (Read 136,119 times)

DarthJoker45

DarthJoker45

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 12, 2015, 04:44:36 AM
But wouldn't that...

Spoiler
Make Elden a cyborg? You know considering by definition a cyborg is a combination of organic and technological parts.
[close]

Spoiler
Yep, that pretty much is the case from what I can tell. I think that the term construct is just another way of saying cyborg.
[close]

Quote from: happypred on Feb 12, 2015, 05:00:19 AM
Terminators have real living flesh...but it's purely for appearance

Spoiler
What I am trying to say is that it is living organs inside of Elden. Meaning in other words, he is actually part living human and machine. It is not like the Terminators who just use the flesh for cosmetic purposes. To make this less confusing, Elden is in essence more in the line of the DC comics character Cyborg. Like that character, he is a living human being and a machine. I hope that clears up some confusion.
[close]

predxeno

Quote from: Nazrel on Feb 12, 2015, 07:52:13 AM
Quote from: predxeno on Feb 12, 2015, 07:45:58 AM
Quote from: Nazrel on Feb 12, 2015, 03:34:04 AM
Omega wasnt bad, i found the end to be very lacking though... and quite pointless

Spoiler
they didnt even make it to the ship, nothing about the deacon.  and then made a big deal about getting the ship and going into the mountain only to have to go back out. It felt cheap.

The ALiens were weird and mutated and there was no explantion about that, i found it a bit silly and stupid the queen got too big fo the ship and essential crushed/fused with it
[close]

Spoiler
I also wondered about the Aliens, they were smaller and they were hurt by acid when Ahab threw it on.  Your point about the ending is pretty much the same as my point; more or less it's like, "Elden's dead and we're still trapped on the planet, but despite the fact that we're back where we were at the beginning of the story, it really is a moral victory for us because 'We're still alive.'"  I get that the story is meant to be more philosophical but I think Fire and Stone is more abstract than concrete compared to its predecessors (even TWW). :-\
[close]

exactly, i felt like we didnt get any real answers from this at all. it didnt feel smooth story wise either

I guess that makes it an official Prometheus story then, huh? ;)

Quarax

Quarax

I think the Aliens...

Spoiler

Were supposed to look like they came from the monkey things in Prometheus: Fire and Stone.

They've even got the green "eyes".

No idea why the acid effects them, though.
[close]

RakaiThwei

Any noteworthy speed, strength, skill feats for Ahab?

Put in spoilers if needed!

Quarax

Quarax

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 13, 2015, 12:01:28 AM

Spoiler

Not really. Besides the stuff in the preview, he kills some Aliens and the Queen pretty quickly, but doesn't do anything noteworthy after that.

[close]

By the way, I wrote a plot summary for Xenopedia: http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Prometheus:_Fire_and_Stone—Omega

RakaiThwei

While you are at it.. Mind updating the Last Hunt section in Ahab's article?

Quarax

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 13, 2015, 12:52:58 AM
While you are at it.. Mind updating the Last Hunt section in Ahab's article?

Sure.

The Cruentus

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 13, 2015, 12:01:28 AM

Read at your own risk  :laugh:
Spoiler
He takes on an Engineer and puts up a good fight but an Engineer outclasses a yautja in sheer physical capabilities, and Ahab is an experienced veteran but still loses, he has to resort to weaponry to get a stalemate and then aid from Galgo to finish it.
Ahab seems to regard Galgo as someone worthy and protects him, he also recognizes Elden as a brother due to his predator mark.
[close]

predxeno

About the...

Spoiler
...Predator mark, I'm glad there is still some homage to the AVP movies (or to the old comics at the very least).  I remember the writer of the story said he didn't want to include AVP movie references because of their unpopularity, but it looks like he didn't let things such as fan upset interfere with telling the best story he could. :)
[close]

RakaiThwei

Sebela said that he didn't count the AvP movies as canon to his story... BUUUUUUUT.. Ariel Olivetti didn't get the memo and actually included the T style blooding mark on Elden. And Sebela didn't seem to go out of his way to correct Olivetti about that either.

The Cruentus

Could just be a reference to the comics though, the marking thing started there, they are simply just using the style done by the AVP film. I can't remember what the original marks looked like now speaking of it.  :laugh:

I will be posting a review of fire and stone soon, I got to reread them all, I have basically been speed reading them. I add some critique now though which is an artist error alert!
Spoiler
facehuggers have 8 digits, four on each side and air sacs, in one of the issues of the Prometheus comic, it shows a facehugger attached to a crew member from the side, and it has five digits and no air sac... :P
[close]

Corporal Hicks

They were a lightning bolt IIRC.

And I wouldn't read much into the markings personally. Nothing particularly concrete.

Ultramorph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 13, 2015, 12:40:19 PM
They were a lightning bolt IIRC.

And I wouldn't read much into the markings personally. Nothing particularly concrete.

The proof that they are distancing themselves from AvP is right in my profile pic, which is taken from a WIP image that Olivetti posted back in October. Notice how the blooding mark is identical to the ones from the AvP movie? It was changed in the final release artwork, so they obviously caught it and deliberately made the change.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Ultramorph on Feb 13, 2015, 08:39:37 PM
The proof that they are distancing themselves from AvP is right in my profile pic, which is taken from a WIP image that Olivetti posted back in October. Notice how the blooding mark is identical to the ones from the AvP movie? It was changed in the final release artwork, so they obviously caught it and deliberately made the change.

Wait.. What?

Pictures now!

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

I was slightly wrong, looking back. The marking remains the same in the published versions, it changes in Omega, though. This is the image that Olivetti posted, back in September, actually, on Facebook. Below is a picture of Scar from AvP. The blooding marks are identical.

Here's how the blooding mark looks in Omega. It's a bit hard to see, but the mark has been changed by the addition of another line above the T shape.
Spoiler
[close]

That all being said, I don't think it means anything, one way or another, like Hicks said.

Back on topic, I enjoyed Omega quite a bit, and will have a full review probably tonight.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed