Aliens Continuity Change

Started by Perfect-Organism, Jul 17, 2014, 07:37:08 PM

Author
Aliens Continuity Change (Read 16,803 times)

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Skulexander on Jul 24, 2014, 06:41:15 AM
Yeah. I never get tired of that movie.

You mean Aliens right?  There's no way to get tired of it IMO.  It's just so well done.  The movie changed the tone of science fiction for decades to come after it.

SM

SM

It sags in the middle a bit.

Darth Rinzler

Darth Rinzler

Quote from: SM on Jul 17, 2014, 08:32:28 PM
Most of us got over this 22 years ago.  Hicks and Newt (and Ripley and Bishop for that matter) are dead.

Fox isn't going to 'decanonise' Alien3 or Resurrection.

If you want to have adventures  along the lines of the comics - you have the comics.

Hicks is alive!

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jul 18, 2014, 02:43:24 AM
We got a "proper sequel", it was called 'Aliens: Colonial Marines' and it even managed to not undo 'Alien3' in the process.

Wizard.

When played back to back with Infestation and S.I. I think ACM very well could be the best story arc in the Aliens and humans only part of the series.

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jul 18, 2014, 03:33:26 AM
Quote from: SM on Jul 18, 2014, 03:22:27 AM
Your definition of "proper" may vary.

Having played the game three times, the last one giving me a headache which lasted for days and keeping in mind of the inconsistencies which were pointed out.. I'd hardly consider it proper, no matter what Fox or anyone says. And this is coming from someone who enjoys a large bulk of the Expanded Universe.. Hish mythos and PREDATORS EU material not withstanding.

You shouldnt be getting headaches, theres not that many inconsistencies, at the most no where near as many as Aliens, or Alien 3, or Prometheus.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

It's exciting to see that Sigourney Weaver wants to do Alien 5.  It seems that this is a bit different than the proposed Alien Continuity Change proposed here but it is still an interesting development.  Perhaps anyone knowing Sigourney Weaver could bring up the idea with her of continuing where James Cameron's film left off.  As a co-producer in this series, she would have a lot of pull.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/jul/25/sigourney-weaver-fifth-instalment-alien-saga

SM

SM

QuoteYou shouldnt be getting headaches, theres not that many inconsistencies, at the most no where near as many as Aliens, or Alien 3, or Prometheus.

The only inconsistencies in A:CM are the premise and every single location that tries to recreate a film on location.  On a couple of levels.

Not many at all...

QuoteAs a co-producer in this series, she would have a lot of pull.

Her co-producer status isn't much more than honourary.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

SM, I'm trying to get through the ACM game now.  On the "raven" level now.  On the downside, there are many inconsistencies, but the feel of the film is often well captured.  Anyone notice that somehow there is only enough space for one dropship suddenly in the Sulaco's dropship bay?  Oh we'll, it is certainly better than the old Aliens Colonial Marines comics.  Wish those never happened...

SM

SM

QuoteAnyone notice that somehow there is only enough space for one dropship suddenly in the Sulaco's dropship bay?

Many people noticed.  Apparently none of them worked for Gearbox.  And that's only the beginning.

QuoteOh we'll, it is certainly better than the old Aliens Colonial Marines comics. 

Storywise, they had much more going for them for at least half the run.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 28, 2014, 11:52:35 PM
Oh we'll, it is certainly better than the old Aliens Colonial Marines comics.  Wish those never happened...

Considering that the Alien/Predator EU is going the way of the New 52.. Either those are now rendered an AU or they simply aren't canon anymore.  :-[

SM

SM

Resurrection already did a pretty good job of that.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

QuoteOh we'll, it is certainly better than the old Aliens Colonial Marines comics. 

Storywise, they had much more going for them for at least half the run.
[/quote]

At the risk of being OT, I agree on this point.  It kind of started off good and then they changed the plan of the comic run from 12 issues to 10.  I don't know the machinations in the background of what happened with the series, but its like they totally changed direction halfway through, creating a story that went nowhere.  I suspect that maybe Dark Horse received new direction from Fox and they had to deep six their ideas.  It's interesting how similar "Royal Jelly" was to the "Black Goo".  Those "Bug Men" were very much along the lines of Fifield from Prometheus...

SM

SM

I don't think Fox was terribly hands on back then.  The CM comics nose dived after they left Bracken's World and it's like they rushed to finish the story off in a manner that was nothing short of dreadful.

Darth Rinzler

Darth Rinzler

Quote from: SM on Jul 28, 2014, 10:04:17 PM
QuoteYou shouldnt be getting headaches, theres not that many inconsistencies, at the most no where near as many as Aliens, or Alien 3, or Prometheus.

The only inconsistencies in A:CM are the premise and every single location that tries to recreate a film on location.  On a couple of levels.

Not many at all...

But your not taking into account the remodeling of some of the sections done by WY.

SM, I'm trying to get through the ACM game now.  On the "raven" level now.  On the downside, there are many inconsistencies, but the feel of the film is often well captured.  Anyone notice that somehow there is only enough space for one dropship suddenly in the Sulaco's dropship bay?  Oh we'll, it is certainly better than the old Aliens Colonial Marines comics.  Wish those never happened...

Might have something to so with a protection procedure.  Just like in the NAVY the humans ships are compartmentalized, since Infestation takes place a little before ACM something may have closed to prevent damage to both dropships when the giant alien went flying into space as a result of explosive damage.

Just a interesting note, in one of the multiplayer maps aboard the Sulaco, one of the computers shows damage to the ship where that alien in infestation was blown out into space.

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jul 29, 2014, 12:50:32 AM
Oh we'll, it is certainly better than the old Aliens Colonial Marines comics.  Wish those never happened...

Considering that the Alien/Predator EU is going the way of the New 52.. Either those are now rendered an AU or they simply aren't canon anymore.  :-[

Going by what the said and sega they are canon and in the same universe =]  If you don't like that remember you pointed out there are unlimited verses were anything can and has happened, or not happened  ; ).

SM

SM

lol

QuoteBut your not taking into account the remodeling of some of the sections done by WY.

Correct.  Because such a notion is ridiculous.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jul 29, 2014, 12:50:32 AM

I don't remember anyone definitively saying anything of the sort.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jul 30, 2014, 04:11:17 AM
I don't remember anyone definitively saying anything of the sort.

Mike Richardson said it over at the RedditAMA, he said and I quote: "Basically, we're starting over."

You sure as hell don't get anymore clear, to the point and blunt as that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed