Shane Black To Write and Direct Predator Reboot!

Started by 85, Jun 24, 2014, 07:34:28 PM

Author
Shane Black To Write and Direct Predator Reboot! (Read 92,627 times)

DoomRulz

Quote from: Magegg on Jun 27, 2014, 04:09:31 PM
Something reboots have in common is that the movie is gonna be kind of similar to the original one, taking many cues for the plot.

But take Predators, for example. Someone likes to call it a reboot, but it's actually a completely different movie. It is just another Predator movie, not a reboot.

Who the heck said Predators was a reboot? I thought it was just a spin-off of sorts.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 27, 2014, 05:57:19 PM
Who the heck said Predators was a reboot? I thought it was just a spin-off of sorts.

PREDATORS could be to the Predator franchise what Halloween: H20 is to the Halloween franchise. There are interviews with Rodriguez suggesting such in relation to Predator 2 to AvP-R, but for whatever reason... People seem to disregard them.

DoomRulz

I've never seen Halloween H2O so I don't know what you mean. In any event, I don't see Predators as a reboot.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 27, 2014, 06:08:37 PM
I've never seen Halloween H2O so I don't know what you mean. In any event, I don't see Predators as a reboot.

Halloween H20 was a direct sequel to Halloween, and Halloween II while disregarding the events of Halloween IV to Halloween VI. Ironically enough, Halloween IV to VI are considered the original timeline where as Halloween H20 to Halloween Resurrection are considered an alternate timeline, both timelines considered canon when there has been no official statement from the studio or rights holder saying one or the other is not, or both are.

PREDATORS seems to only acknowledge the first movie, though some fans claim it takes place after the second while ignoring the AvP. Some, including myself say that it ignores the second movie to AvP-R. Either way no one has found a middle ground to where the movie fits. In any event, I don't see why Predator 2 to AvP-R can't be considered as the original timeline where as PREDATORS could be considered an alternate timeline rather than sequels being declared by the fandom as "non-canon".

T Dog

I said that Predators is essentially a reboot. Can't believe people have actually been arguing over terminology for this long.

Get over it.....you sound like these guys.

Sully

This pedantic reboot definition has ran its course.  More than half of the thread is devoted to it.

It's a sequel.

RakaiThwei

I think we've established by now that it's not a reboot, but a sequel. The question of where this announced sequel fits in the in-universe chronology is up for discussion. Nothing more, nothing less.

hfeldhaus

I just want to see Dutch in the film, maybe briefing someone about his experience

RakaiThwei

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Jun 27, 2014, 06:22:49 PM
I just want to see Dutch in the film, maybe briefing someone about his experience

I wouldn't mind seeing that as a cameo role.

Magegg

Reboot means the previous continuity is debunked. That's what it is called "re boot". Everything begins again, perhaps in very different ways.

Predators was not a reboot, it acknowledged the previous movies. It was sorts of a sequel, as it is factually set after Predator and Predator 2. And in commercial terms, a purposed relaunch of the franchise, although it didn't last.
I can simply call it "another Predator movie"; there's really no distinction between Predators and the previous movies, as they share the same basic creature, dynamics and mythology with very little differences (even if the Super Predators were introducers), they are nonetheless set in the same universe and continuity, there's no way to tell apart so it's loyal to the universe of the previous movies.

A reboot would mean none of the previous events would have happened in the movies, or at least they're not referred. But also a reboot is most usually very different (in tone, plot, maybe even mythology) and follows a different route. It is also supposed to kickstart a new continuity/series, not be just a single movie. If it's just a solo movie, it could be called more likely a remake, but it should follow the basic plot of the original movie.

Prometheus is maybe a prequel, and it's also a spin-off movie of the Alien franchise, that is purposed to be a sorts of relaunch of that universe.

T Dog

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Jun 27, 2014, 06:22:49 PM

I imagine he'll be in it in some capacity.
The film makers will want to do fan service (which in the case of Arnie is fine by me) and Ahnaaald will want to get in on this nostalgia action as much as he is with the rest of his film history.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Magegg on Jun 27, 2014, 06:28:07 PM
Predators was not a reboot, it acknowledged the previous movies.

It only acknowledged the first movie. No mention of the second movie or the AvP movies were made.

T Dog

God just stop.

Magegg

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jun 27, 2014, 06:33:06 PMIt only acknowledged the first movie. No mention of the second movie or the AvP movies were made.
If it only recognizes the first movie, it's still not a reboot. And as for the AvP movies, I couldn't care less.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Magegg on Jun 27, 2014, 06:35:43 PM
If it only recognizes the first movie, it's still not a reboot.

I never said it was a reboot in the first place.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed