Shane Black To Write and Direct Predator Reboot!

Started by 85, Jun 24, 2014, 07:34:28 PM

Author
Shane Black To Write and Direct Predator Reboot! (Read 92,624 times)

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

If they mean "reboot" along the lines of Predators or Terminator: Salvation, where it does its own thing but is still related and maintains the feel of the originals, I could be on board for that. But if we're talking a total reboot like the recent Star Trek films or the new Tomb Raider games, where they throw away pretty much all of what makes a franchise what it is in favor of some romping adventure that appeals to everyone, then I'll be pretty irritated.

Lemonade

Quote from: Tangakkai on Jun 24, 2014, 09:48:09 PM
Let's face it... Predators 3 had a budget of 40 million and made about 190 million... it was a success but not a big one at all. So I doubt the producers will give this new film more than 60 million in budget, they will play it rather save, so I wouldn't expect some huge Michael Bay XSplosions.

But if Shane keeps true to his writing style, it could be a fun and thrilling script, full of action beats making you forget to care if its blockbuster or not.

LMAO. $190 million?! More like $130 million, the same as AvPR. I don't believe they will play it safe at all. The Predator concept has not been utilized to its full potential, and I think for this one they're finally saying "go big or go home". Enough of these moderately sized movies.

Quote from: Spoonman101 on Jun 24, 2014, 09:55:45 PM
Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 24, 2014, 09:29:20 PM
Lol you read comic books, and asked me if I counted the novelization as canon. Well I intern for an Oscar-winning producer, and get to do script coverage and accept/reject scripts. I think that's better than reading comic books.
Here I am excited for this news and I come to see something like this...
With that attitude in this kind of place I wouldn't be surprised that you stayed an intern. Have some respect for the opinions that these people are entitled to.

I'm stoked, it's nice to see someone familiar with the franchise handling it.

Quote from: Ghostface on Jun 24, 2014, 09:08:54 PM
f**k yeah I'm in
Ahahahahana! I lol'd so hard when I saw this

No, I am ruthless. I will get "there". Fret not, fret not.

MrSpaceJockey

Will it take place on Christmas for no reason whatsoever that is the ultimate question.

Lemonade

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 24, 2014, 09:53:08 PM
Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 24, 2014, 09:44:30 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 24, 2014, 09:42:45 PM
I kind of hope it's a smaller movie, to be honest. :P

There are 5 other movies you can watch if that's what you'd like. Let the guys who want to see a true blockbuster Predator film have theirs

That's all fine and good, I guess, but the bigger a studio-financed franchise movie like this gets the more muddied the creator's vision is likely to become, and I don't really think that's what a Predator film needs.

At their best, Predator films are fairly small action romps with some fun cheese, awesome creature suits, and memorable action, one-liners, and character interactions, not giant science fiction mega-blockbusters. That's why I think they're so loved, and Shane Black definitely had it in him to take those tropes, put his own spin on them, and make something new and exciting in the series.

But that's just me.

Very presumptuous.

So you want the same thing forever and ever, and I don't. Cool.

And they're not so loved, lol. Look at their box office, and look at Lethal Weapon. Again, there is untapped potential. The first movie is loved, sure.

OpenMaw

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jun 24, 2014, 09:45:22 PM
Put it on Earth... Set it in the DESERT... None of that Super Predator bullshit. Remember the core elements which made the original what it is now, and carry them over to this assumed reboot-- if this project will be a reboot.

I get the implication as to why people think the desert would be a good setting. Allusions to the wars, the predators drawn to "heat and conflict," the idea of following modern 21st Century Elite operators against a predator. However, i'm honestly not sure that a desert setting would be nearly as a visually interesting as the Jungles were. They were really smart to mix and match between vistas and claustrophobic areas of the jungle in the first film. Which allowed for the greater tension.

Open deserts and sand dunes and such wouldn't exactly provide the Predator with a good stalking ground. Unless you set it in a village, predominantly in the mountain ranges (which is essentially forested and rocky, so you lose the "desert" motive) or on a military base.

Master

I just read about it and f**k YEAH I'M HAPPY! I wasn't aware something so good can happen to me this evening. I hope it stays in continuity, but want it to be standalone. Another film in my all time favorite franchise! Yeah! ;D

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 24, 2014, 10:01:13 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 24, 2014, 09:53:08 PM
Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 24, 2014, 09:44:30 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 24, 2014, 09:42:45 PM
I kind of hope it's a smaller movie, to be honest. :P

There are 5 other movies you can watch if that's what you'd like. Let the guys who want to see a true blockbuster Predator film have theirs

That's all fine and good, I guess, but the bigger a studio-financed franchise movie like this gets the more muddied the creator's vision is likely to become, and I don't really think that's what a Predator film needs.

At their best, Predator films are fairly small action romps with some fun cheese, awesome creature suits, and memorable action, one-liners, and character interactions, not giant science fiction mega-blockbusters. That's why I think they're so loved, and Shane Black definitely had it in him to take those tropes, put his own spin on them, and make something new and exciting in the series.

But that's just me.

Very presumptuous.

So you want the same thing forever and ever, and I don't. Cool.

And they're not so loved, lol. Look at their box office, and look at Lethal Weapon. Again, there is untapped potential.

No, I don't want the same thing. I said that I want Black to put his own spin on it. I just don't necessarily think that bigger=better in this case, and I don't want to see it become something it's not at the expense of the film's overall quality.

But hey, it's early days. For all we know the movie might not even happen. No point bickering about something so far off when we have nothing to base our opinions on.

Lemonade

Terminator 2 would like a word.

Nightmare Asylum

Great as T2 was, I preferred the first one.

Spoonman101

Hahahaha are you guys seriously comparing Terminator to Predator?

Inverse Effect

Inverse Effect

Dumb idea. What's next? Reboot of Alien? Predators was a great direction for the series and a worthy third movie in the Predator movie series. But a reboot? why not expand on Predators? The movie ended well enough to open itself up for a direct sequel. Especially with the idea of Danny Glover & Arnold being thrown into the mix.

But you know what f**k it lol. It will end up being a PG-13.

Ultramorph

This is pretty exciting! I jut hope this turns out better than Iron Man 3. I look forward to hearing more as this develops .

On a funny note, Chris Sebela, the guy writing the new AvP comic series, was pooh-poohing this on Twitter, wanting "original ideas." A fine criticism to be sure, but a tad silly given that he's writing the umpteenth entry in the same series.  :laugh:

Crazy Rich

The mere sound of "Predator Reboot" already has me cringing. I know it's too early, but that's two words I have never wanted to see put together.

Lemonade

Terminator 2 box office would like a word.

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Bigger is rarely better when it comes to films. Some films nail it but alot don't. The predator franchise doesn't need money thrown at it. It needs real talent, like Shane Black, to take it on a inject life back into it. If they pump a shed load of money into the scale will become too big. Predator films should work in settings that are pretty self contained. They don't warrant a huge budget.

Also stop bring up T2. Two completely different franchises at two completely different points

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed