More "Fire and Stone" Previews

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 04, 2014, 03:55:23 PM

Author
More "Fire and Stone" Previews (Read 44,007 times)

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jul 10, 2014, 09:36:16 PM
Quote from: 85 on Jul 10, 2014, 08:52:02 PM
I would hope that it does become the new flagship series, But I would like to see more of an ongoing title more than the 4 issue mini series.

Personally, I wouldn't want an on-going series, especially if they're doing what the New 52 did. I think they told all the stories they wanted to tell back in the 90s, and then there was a major burn out. If anything I think this is just going to be a mini-series and then there will be some more mini-series every now and then.

Quote from: 85 on Jul 10, 2014, 08:52:02 PM
A Predator ongoing focusing on different characters in the universe (Royce and Isabel, Harrigan, Dutch) and see where they went after the movies ended.

If you want to find out what happened to Isabelle and Royce, you might want to check out the official PREDATORS sequel comic. Of course, I wouldn't recommend it. As for Harrigan and Dutch.. well, that's not likely going to happen.

That sequel comic was one of the most confusing things I ever read, A four armed predator out of nowhere...
But I was thinking more of Royce and Isabelle building a small army of the dropped off prey and starting a revolt against the predators.

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jul 11, 2014, 03:30:36 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 11, 2014, 08:30:58 AM
Are people just unfamiliar with the reveal process? Since when has anyone ever just gone "here, this is whats-what" up front??? Exactly. They build, they tease, they slowly release. I imagine within the next 2 months we'll be getting more structured previews and more info.

I'm cool with the idea behind teasing and revealing a little bit, and they've certainly done a good job holding at least my interest. I think what makes some people frustrated is how long the marketing run for "Fire and Stone" has been going on, at least for people like us on sites like this. We had the news of upcoming Prometheus and Predator comics hit last July, and the big io9 reveal was back in October.

Comics, like movies, seem to be trending toward an obnoxious one to two year long cycle of production, hype, more hype, and then a release by which time we're almost sick of the product and quickly move on. The new Godzilla film is a good example of this.

The fact that it has gone on, though, isn't really Dark Horse's fault; the comics were supposed to start coming out in June, until Fox stepped in, nuked it all, and made them start from scratch.

Either way, I'm looking forward to what we get at SDCC.

Fox pushed the comics?

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: 85 on Jul 11, 2014, 09:18:49 PM
Fox pushed the comics?

Dark Horse has to go through an approval process in order to make sure that their stories meet their standards. The reason why they had pushed the comics back was for re-writes because the comics cannot use material from an upcoming movie. While the writing team has looked at the script, they really can't use material from said movie until long after it's released.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

We have October solicitations!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/07/16/dark-horse-comics-solicitations-for-october-2014-aliens-predator-buffy-mgmt-fathers-day-and-more/

QuoteALIEN VS PREDATOR FIRE AND STONE #1 (OF 4)

(W) Christopher Sebela (A) Ariel Olivetti (CA) E.M. Gist
As the mercenary crew of the Perses leave the horror of LV-223 behind them, one passenger reveals a terrible new danger, and the crew soon find themselves in a deadly struggle between predator and prey!
$3.50

PREDATOR FIRE AND STONE #1 (OF 4)

(W) Joshua Williamson (A) Chris Mooneyham (CA) Dan Brown, Lucas Graciano
As the Perses begins her long journey home, a deadly stowaway forces the crew into a savage conflict! While the crew defend themselves against this unseen predator, the hunter itself stalks a much more substantial game!
$3.50

ALIENS FIRE AND STONE #2

(W) Chris Roberson (A) Patric Reynolds (CA) David Palumbo
After crashing their clunky mining ship on a strange planet, a group of human survivors face both xenomorph attacks and friction among themselves-which could spell doom for everyone! The stranded and desperate group has a single chance: one of their scientists, who seeks the key to their freedom.
$3.50

PROMETHEUS FIRE AND STONE #2
(W) Paul Tobin (A) Juan Ferreyra (CA) David Palumbo
After landing on LV-223, a recovery crew uncovers the fate of the Prometheus's doomed mission-and a horror unlike anything known to man!
$3.50

CBR has the release dates:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54105

Aliens vs Predator #1-October 8
Prometheus #2-October 15
Predator #1-October 22
Aliens #2-October 29

October is shaping up to be a very cool month for AvP fans. From what little these have told us about the stories, I think we can already see that they are delivering on their promise of interconnectivity.

The Prometheus #2 cover has me intrigued. That is most definitely an Alien-era suit. Artistic choice or indication of the "temporal niche" the writers have talked about? We'll have to wait and see.  ;D

Seems a little weird that Aliens Vs Predator comes out before Predator. Makes me think the Predator series will be more independent in its own story than Aliens or Prometheus will be.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jul 16, 2014, 03:02:39 PM
QuoteALIEN VS PREDATOR FIRE AND STONE #1 (OF 4)

(W) Christopher Sebela (A) Ariel Olivetti (CA) E.M. Gist
As the mercenary crew of the Perses leave the horror of LV-223 behind them, one passenger reveals a terrible new danger, and the crew soon find themselves in a deadly struggle between predator and prey!
$3.50

PREDATOR FIRE AND STONE #1 (OF 4)

(W) Joshua Williamson (A) Chris Mooneyham (CA) Dan Brown, Lucas Graciano
As the Perses begins her long journey home, a deadly stowaway forces the crew into a savage conflict! While the crew defend themselves against this unseen predator, the hunter itself stalks a much more substantial game!
$3.50

The synopses for AvP and Predator are quite similar...seems like there's going to be a big overlap between the two series (not necessarily a bad thing) 

Ultramorph

Quote from: happypred on Jul 17, 2014, 02:27:35 AM
The synopses for AvP and Predator are quite similar...seems like there's going to be a big overlap between the two series (not necessarily a bad thing)

That does seem to be the case. It'll be cool if they pull it off.

The release order really has me confused, to be honest. The fact that they're releasing AvP and Predator concurrently with Prometheus and Alien, even though the former are clearly sequels to the latter, is odd. It seems like it would ruin the conclusion of the Aliens and Prometheus series. We'll have to wait and see, as usual.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jul 17, 2014, 02:44:18 AMThat does seem to be the case. It'll be cool if they pull it off.

Perhaps chronologically, AvP#1 -> Predator #1 -> AvP#2 -> Predator #2 . . .

That would mean if you only buy AvP #1 and AvP #2, you're kinda missing Predator #1 (sales tactic perhaps?)

OR the Perses journeys home well after the Perses leaves the horrors of LV-223. I have no idea really

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

That's a possibility, too. The writers seems to have a pretty solid plan for how this will all play out, so I'm not too worried about it being a mess.

That idea actually sounds pretty plausible. Galgo and the mercenaries bail after the events of Prometheus #1, then Galgo bails again after AvP #1 and is followed by Ahab, so on and so on.

I'm really looking forward to this.

happypred

happypred

I'm wondering...could Galgo not be what he seems?

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Quote from: happypred on Jul 17, 2014, 01:04:11 PM

As long as it doesn't turn out that his full name is Galgo McClaren, I'm fine with it!  :laugh:

Does someone know what the human thing in the middle is?

SM

SM

Quote from: happypred on Jul 17, 2014, 01:04:11 PM

DH have to avoid conflicting with the next two Prometheus films so therefore avoided naming a robot whose name started with E or F...

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Quote from: 85 on Jul 17, 2014, 09:02:06 PM
Does someone know what the human thing in the middle is?

The general assumption has been that it's one of the characters mutating in response to the black goo. Exactly which character is open to debate. I'm in the camp that it's one of the synthetics, Elden. I say that because the way his face is melting off is very reminiscent of how Ash's skin burned away in Alien.

On that note, in some of the previews we got about two months back, you can see what we can assume is the same character in a later stage of his mutation. Possible spoilers below.

Spoiler

On another note, Patric Reynolds, the artist on the Aliens series, has apparently been sharing Alien pencils on his Tumblr. There's some cool interior shots of an Engineer ship, as well as some more of his very well-drawn xenos.

http://patricjreynolds.tumblr.com/
Spoiler

[close]

Quote from: SM on Jul 17, 2014, 09:38:31 PM
DH have to avoid conflicting with the next two Prometheus films so therefore avoided naming a robot whose name started with E or F...

They actually confirmed at ECCC that there will be an android with an E name: Elden.

SM

SM

Pfft - nothing but a cunning red herring, I'm sure.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Quote from: SM on Jul 17, 2014, 09:52:40 PM
Pfft - nothing but a cunning red herring, I'm sure.

Could be, though they did explain how it ties in with the "Frankenstein and his monster" arc they they're going for with Francis and Eledn. They described him as a "lower-level synthetic being, less advanced than David," or something very close to that.

AND Patric Reyold's artist page on Facebook has some nice character and ship sketches.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Patric-Reynolds-Artist/212322795470260?sk=photos_stream

Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

Also, the Perses.

Spoiler
[close]

Ariel Olivetti's FB page also has some new art, including a new image of the mysterious mutant from AvP:

https://www.facebook.com/ariel.olivetti/photos

Spoiler

Judging by the face on the creature, I am now speculating that it may in fact be a mutated Engineer.

[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed