The 10-Year-Anniversary of AVP

Started by Scree, Apr 03, 2014, 09:26:43 PM

Author
The 10-Year-Anniversary of AVP (Read 38,805 times)

Scree

Scree

This August it will be ten years since the release of Alien Vs. Predator. Man, time really flies fast.  ;D

Do you think FOX could have something planned for this day? Maybe announcing a new Special Edition? A 3D Blu-Ray? A sequel or reboot? How cool would that be? Of course this is just speculation but I'm kinda excited about this. :)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I doubt they have anything special planned.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

What Kimarhi said.

SM

SM

*parp*

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

You know, I actually considered on making a thread about this but you beat me to it Scree.

I honestly doubt that Fox would have anything planned for one half of the black sheep of the film franchises, but that doesn't mean that fans (no matter if they are in the minority of opinion) can't do anything to celebrate it in their own way.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I think it has more to do with the time released out.  Didn't Alien have to wait till its 25th anniversary to get all its special treatments and the quad release?

SM

SM

Ain't nobody going to be caring about this flick in another 15 years.

I was watching a RE flick yesterday - Retribution I think.  Fairly excrutiating.  Only other RE film I've seen was the first one and that was crap too.  I do like some of Paulie's stuff (AvP was rubbish, but way better than either RE flick.  Gave up on 3 Musketeers about 20 minutes in), but how do these flicks make so much money?

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Maybe.  I have found that the younger generation reflect fondly on the first AvP. 

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Kimarhi on Apr 04, 2014, 12:04:51 AM
Maybe.  I have found that the younger generation reflect fondly on the first AvP.

How younger are we talking?

I first saw the film when I was sixteen.. Ten years later, I still enjoy it.

Arterial Spray

Quote from: SM on Apr 04, 2014, 12:03:51 AM
Ain't nobody going to be caring about this flick in another 15 years.

I was watching a RE flick yesterday - Retribution I think.  Fairly excrutiating.  Only other RE film I've seen was the first one and that was crap too.  I do like some of Paulie's stuff (AvP was rubbish, but way better than either RE flick.  Gave up on 3 Musketeers about 20 minutes in), but how do these flicks make so much money?

Its a little unfair to judge a late episode of a film series in seclusion when they all form a single narative.... not that they are good.

And while the Musketeers film was pretty naff, I actually quite liked that it threw the source material out the window and ploughed into steam punk, it was never going to compete with previous versions if it played it straight.

In answer to your question: They make money because they are cheap to make (Resident evil actually exploited tax loopholes and goverment grants to the point it would have made a profit even if it had utterly flopped) hang themselves on a recognisable name, have action packed trailers and your average cinema goer these days is a heavy TV watcher who has already had taste and their ability to pay attention to what is on the screen (and any awareness of subtext) hammered out of their tiny minds. They don't care if the film is good, they see it because it was advertised and had action scenes, and forget about it in a few months to be freshly excited by the DvD release.

SM

SM

QuoteIts a little unfair to judge a late episode of a film series in seclusion when they all form a single narative.... not that they are good.

I'm judging the first one too.

It's problem - along with Musketeers and Soldier for that matter- is that everything looks so fake.  It's such an obvious movie set, and not a terribly convincing one.

However then you get Event Horizon or AvP or even Death Race, where the sets look infinitely more 'real'.  I don't get the inconsistency of one film looking expensive and another looking so cheap.

QuoteIn answer to your question: They make money because they are cheap to make (Resident evil actually exploited tax loopholes and goverment grants to the point it would have made a profit even if it had utterly flopped) hang themselves on a recognisable name, have action packed trailers and your average cinema goer these days is a heavy TV watcher who has already had taste and their ability to pay attention to what is on the screen (and any awareness of subtext) hammered out of their tiny minds. They don't care if the film is good, they see it because it was advertised and had action scenes, and forget about it in a few months to be freshly excited by the DvD release.

I get how they make money - I don't get how they make so much, even being based off a popular video game.  Each has made more than the previous installment up to the fourth that made nearly $300m and then the fifth nearly $250m.  And yet it seems hard to find someone who'll say a good word about them.

Scree

Scree

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Apr 03, 2014, 10:15:25 PM
You know, I actually considered on making a thread about this but you beat me to it Scree.

I honestly doubt that Fox would have anything planned for one half of the black sheep of the film franchises, but that doesn't mean that fans (no matter if they are in the minority of opinion) can't do anything to celebrate it in their own way.

Hehe sorry, my friend.

Yeah, I guess so. There probably won't be any news on that day regarding anything related to AVP. So I think I'm just gonna have my own little celebration then. Gonna get some beer and popcorn and pop in the DVD. Maybe I'll do a double-feature watching AVP and AVP:R. Yes, that's gonna be sweet.  8)

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Apr 04, 2014, 12:41:17 AM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Apr 04, 2014, 12:04:51 AM

How younger are we talking?

I first saw the film when I was sixteen.. Ten years later, I still enjoy it.

Yeah, add to that I was six when I first saw it, loved it and then ten years later I hate it.

When you see a film has nothing to do with how good it is IMO.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Scree on Apr 04, 2014, 08:18:39 AM
Yeah, I guess so. There probably won't be any news on that day regarding anything related to AVP. So I think I'm just gonna have my own little celebration then. Gonna get some beer and popcorn and pop in the DVD. Maybe I'll do a double-feature watching AVP and AVP:R. Yes, that's gonna be sweet.  8)

By all means, throw in some popcorn in the microwave and pop it.. Put the films on and watch to your hearts content. If you know any like minded people who liked the films (or the first one anyway..), then ask if they want to watch a movie and invite them.

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Apr 04, 2014, 03:33:50 PM
Yeah, add to that I was six when I first saw it, loved it and then ten years later I hate it.

Opinions can change over time, I suppose. But then again, different strokes for different folks.

Vepariga

Vepariga

first one was ok, had some decent ideas.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed