Alien Resurrection: 1997 Theatrical Cut or 2003 Special Edition

Started by LastSurvivor92, Mar 20, 2014, 11:44:58 AM

Alien Resurrection: Which was the more superior cut of the film? The 1997 Theatrical Cut or 2003 Special Edition

1997 Theatrical Cut
24 (57.1%)
2003 Special Edition
18 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author
Alien Resurrection: 1997 Theatrical Cut or 2003 Special Edition (Read 36,171 times)

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: SM on Mar 20, 2014, 10:32:24 PM
The extended chapel scene is Weaver's best work in the film - and possibly any Alien film.

The rest of the stuff is take it or leave it (I do particularly like "Since when were you in Goddamn charge?" "Since you were born without balls!" and Noni slipping into this odd almost Canadian sounding accent).  Both endings work for different reasons.

Good point SM I agree with you. That Chapel scene along with that Medical Examination scene with the Newt Sketch card were pretty critical pieces of film they should of left on the cutting floor. I don't know why they took those out. Dumb decision.

Local Trouble

SM

They weren't criticial to the plot, but Weaver just gave such a great performance I'm a bit baffled that it got cut.

Local Trouble

The fact SM likes anything about this movie is one of the great mysteries of the cosmos.  I hope Neil deGrasse Tyson mentions it.

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: SM on Mar 20, 2014, 11:43:03 PM
They weren't criticial to the plot, but Weaver just gave such a great performance I'm a bit baffled that it got cut.

She really did though! She did a suprisingly good job at playing a Ripley we never knew before and I like that a ton! I like the fact that Ripley is darker, more cunning and stronger. She isnt the same xeno fighting warrior but she now connects with the xenos and has their dna which I find super interesting.

In a sense I still feel there needs to be some way to conclusively wrap up the Alien series. I feel like there's a small emptiness to the end of Resurrection. Here's Ripley a character that has traveled through years of time and space. Through death, war, heartbreak and confusion. And after being cloned after 200 years a character that has spent centuries in an everliving nightmare. Were gonna end with Ripley getting back to Earth and never truly find out what happens to these 4 characters, the Aliens and the story they live with. Overall I would just love to see the Alien franchise conclusively tied up so that the audience feels they have journeyed with you through 5 movies or more (if there would ever be a sequel) would totally be satisfied that there would be some kind of resolution, some good that came out of the fact that she died and then she was cloned and came back with a certain amount of knowledge and insight and was able to make it all worth our while as an audience to have traveled with it.

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 20, 2014, 11:45:27 PM
The fact SM likes anything about this movie is one of the great mysteries of the cosmos.  I hope Neil deGrasse Tyson mentions it.

Sagan might've been able to tell you.  Tyson isn't up to the task.

SiL

Sagan knew what SM saw in it. And why kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

But he took these secrets to the grave.

Local Trouble

What does SiL usually say when asked his opinion of it?

SiL

SiL says Sagan is the name of his dog and he's not good at English.

HuDaFuK

Special Edition, although I feel much less strongly about this than I do my preferential cuts for the other films in the series.

The longer version doesn't really add much, and the new opening's pretty stupid, but as others have mentioned, some brilliant acting from Weaver was snipped from the theatrical version and it's nice to see it back.

The Necronoir

I'm going with the SE, simply on the virtue of the character building scenes already mentioned involving Ripley 8. I'm conflicted though, because the new intro, the added dude-bro scenes, and to a lesser extent the ending are serious a detraction. If you could put those few character scenes into the TE you'd have the best version of an largely superfluous entry in the series.

Local Trouble

You forgot Ron Perlman.

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 21, 2014, 06:35:12 PM
You forgot Ron Perlman.

For sure! Ron Perlman is one of the most redeeming characters in Resurrection. He was one of the better characters for sure that made the film funny and interesting.

Local Trouble

SM

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed