Alien - River of Pain Details

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 07, 2014, 03:09:43 PM

Author
Alien - River of Pain Details (Read 8,312 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: AIFF on Oct 20, 2014, 01:49:37 PM"But part of me feels they'll throw in something daft that will spoil the whole thing"

Hmmmm.......Retconn?  ::)

Retcons are fine, so long as they make sense and are logical. Most of the recent ones have been stupid. (Hicks meeting a man wearing bandages in exactly the same places, Ripley crying like a baby and begging to have her memory wiped, someone sticking the harpoon gun back under the Narcissus door after leaving the Marion...)

Do something that makes sense and I'll be fine with it. Do something that stretches credulity to the breaking point and I won't. Part of me worries they'll go for the latter.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

I agree with being a bit wary of possible retcons. I understand why the Marines have been added: in addition to being popular with a lot of fans, putting them in the book gives the colonists slightly more of a fighting chance, increasing the tension (this is a 360-or-so page book, after all). My only worry is that it will drag River of Pain into the same mistakes that ruined Sea of Sorrows for me. Namely, the middle portion being dominated by generic, military type tertiary characters meeting their grisly ends.

I remain optimistic, though, because that newest summary says more about the Derelict than it does about Colonial Marines, and the exploration of the Derelict is what I'm most looking forward to in this book, assuming it happens.

SM

SM

QuoteNo mention of them in Aliens.

Was there a need for them to be mentioned though?  If they're essentially just glorified law enforcement?

There's always going to be continuity glitches (started reading Sea of Sorrows and already spotted a few before page 40) .  This one doesn't bother on the surface of it.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Oct 20, 2014, 10:46:29 PM
QuoteNo mention of them in Aliens.

Was there a need for them to be mentioned though?  If they're essentially just glorified law enforcement?

I'd like to think our motley bunch would have spared at least a "what happened to our bro's?" Or talked some smack about them. That is, of course, the problem with revising "history". It's only small but it still niggles me.

I'm still looking forward to the rest of it though. Really can't wait to see the derelict explored some more or the colony fall.

AIFF

AIFF

I hope they don't do something stupid to apease the A3 haters...ie Newts toothbrush somehow making it's way on an escape shuttle which would mean a dna sample and another stupid cloning somewhere down the line  >:(

DemonicD13

DemonicD13

I really don't like the idea of the marines being in it. If Hadley's Hope needed protection wouldn't that job have fallen to the colonial marshals?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed