"Hey, I thought you were dead? Yeah I get that a lot."

Started by LastSurvivor92, Feb 27, 2014, 03:25:04 PM

Author
"Hey, I thought you were dead? Yeah I get that a lot." (Read 23,847 times)

Xenomorphine

Quote from: maledoro on Mar 17, 2014, 01:47:51 PM
I watch Prometheus before Alien because Scott said that it would change the context in which we used to see Alien. It does. As for as the "2012 film before a 1979 film" paradox, I figure that not only did tug crews dress differently than science crews and that tugboats are POS ships compared to science vessels, that during the decades that had passed between the two stories not only had styles changed but that the merger with Yutani may have dragged Weyland down a bit instead of making things better, especially for the working stiffs.

Bit harder to reconcile with the "state of the badass art" Sulaco and Gateway Station technology of 'Aliens', though. :)

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Really? From the outside and inside Aliens  "Gateway" looked incredibly similar to the Prometheus.
The only thing they really lacked was holograms, but we didn't see enough to be sure, and as for the marine techwe know it has ties with W-Y.

SM

Prometheus and Gateway have practically no visual similarities.  Gateway has more in common with Hadley.

You can reconcile Prometheus and Alien with 'flagship vs tug'.  Prometheus vs. "state of the badass art"?  As Xenomorphine said - not so much.

SiL

No-one says Gateway is state of the art, anyway.

As for Hudson's comment, I don't see the issue reconciling it with Prometheus. He's talking about military hardware, not the SS Inflated Ego.

SM

Woulda thunk 3D maps would be handy.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

That's true SiL, Gateway could be really old for all we know.

Got me thinking about how the Betty is older than Ripley in Resurrection and kinda looks like a mini- Prometheus.

3D maps would be hand-y SM but they could also be incredibly expensive.

SM

90 year old technology expensive?

SiL

Quote from: SM on Mar 18, 2014, 12:44:33 AM
Woulda thunk 3D maps would be handy.
Which would be a problem reconciling Hadley's technology, not the 'rines, as the marines don't show their own mapping gear in the movie.

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Mar 18, 2014, 12:46:40 AM
That's true SiL, Gateway could be really old for all we know.
It's not that old -- it's built between Alien and Aliens.

SM

QuoteWhich would be a problem reconciling Hadley's technology, not the 'rines, as the marines don't show their own mapping gear in the movie.

The 2D maps Gorman uses in the APC aside, Hadley not having 3D maps is kinda the same problem.

But so are CRT monitors too, and I don't really care about them either.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Forgive my ignorance but when does it say it was built betwen Alien & Aliens?

SM

Ripley - I don't recognise this place.

ie. Gateway

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: SM on Mar 18, 2014, 12:50:56 AM
QuoteWhich would be a problem reconciling Hadley's technology, not the 'rines, as the marines don't show their own mapping gear in the movie.

The 2D maps Gorman uses in the APC aside, Hadley not having 3D maps is kinda the same problem.

But so are CRT monitors too, and I don't really care about them either.

I think if you really want to reconcile it, the Prometheus was supposed to bring back tech that would make them trillions, it was a big investment and not only did the company head die but the project fell flat on it's face.

As well as the merger with Yutani could've set them back.

Quote from: SM on Mar 18, 2014, 12:52:57 AM
Ripley - I don't recognise this place.

ie. Gateway

Could be memory isn't great and perhaps she:s just never been there before.
If I woke up in Shanghai I wouldn't recognise where I am but that isn't to say it was recently built.

SM

The implication is that Gateway is new as foreshadowing to the revelation of her long hypersleep.

QuoteI think if you really want to reconcile it, the Prometheus was supposed to bring back tech that would make them trillions, it was a big investment and not only did the company head die but the project fell flat on it's face.

As well as the merger with Yutani could've set them back.

It didn't fall flat on its face because they had 3D maps...

SiL

Hadley's Hope is a "shake-n-bake" colony presumably dumped without all the bells and whistles and the APC is military hardware.

There's only ever the need to reconcile when people refuse to take into account:

1) A technology existing doesn't mean it must be ubiquitous. We've had 3D movies since the 20s, we still don't have exclusively 3D films because there are a bunch of other factors to consider. 3D maps were so helpful the guy with the mapping software got lost and the people on the ship watching the 3D map apparently couldn't keep track of them. Hrm.

2) Some things are built to be functional. Space shuttles, space stations, large ships, commercial and military planes have simple UI displays and shitloads of manual, tactile controls because that's what you need when shit goes down, not a touch-pad with floating holographic readings.

CRT screens, though. Geez.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

In the context of the Aliens movie yes, that works perfectly but there's nothing saying it's definitely new from a universal perspective.

I'm not saying that, I'm saying it would account for everything being made cheaper from there onwards.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed