So what exactly do Colonial Marines do?

Started by MrSpaceJockey, Feb 02, 2014, 02:35:54 AM

Author
So what exactly do Colonial Marines do? (Read 7,276 times)

Xenomrph

Quote from: Eva on Feb 04, 2014, 03:01:49 PM
To me, the whole setup of Camerons plot included the notion that we've still not discovered nor made contact to intelligent species out there. That's why Ripley's report is met with massive disbelief at the inquiry, that's why the lady remarks that they've never found anything like what Ripley talks about in 2-300 surveyed worlds. Same with the marines when Ripley tells them of her encounter in the hangar bay - they are highly suspicious and don't look like they could be remotely bothered to read her fantasy report.

Why would everybody be so dismissive of Ripley claiming to have encountered an intelligent alien species, if other intelligent alien species have been encountered already and have become part of 'everyday life', it seems? Doesn't make sense to me.
There is another alternative, distasteful as it may be: perhaps Arcturians aren't an intelligent extraterrestrial species.

Local Trouble

Yeah, they could be like sheep.

Layorz

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 05, 2014, 05:52:57 AM
Yeah, they could be like sheep.

Thems fighting words

Local Trouble

Are you a Kiwi?

Layorz

Yep

Local Trouble

Male or female: does it matter when it's mutton?

Eva

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 05, 2014, 05:22:01 AM
There is another alternative, distasteful as it may be: perhaps Arcturians aren't an intelligent extraterrestrial species.
Spoiler

Spoiler
[close]
[close]

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Eva on Feb 04, 2014, 03:01:49 PMThat's why Ripley's report is met with massive disbelief at the inquiry, that's why the lady remarks that they've never found anything like what Ripley talks about in 2-300 surveyed worlds. Same with the marines when Ripley tells them of her encounter in the hangar bay - they are highly suspicious and don't look like they could be remotely bothered to read her fantasy report..... Why would everybody be so dismissive of Ripley claiming to have encountered an intelligent alien species, if other intelligent alien species have been encountered already and have become part of 'everyday life', it seems? Doesn't make sense to me.

Ripley isn't just remarking on how they found intelligent life, she's claiming that they found an ancient spaceship that had alien eggs on board that infected a crew member and resulted in a monster that wiped out everyone on the ship bar herself in less than a day. It's not such a stretch to imagine that skepticism would be paramount, even if her audience wasn't a kangaroo court loaded with company stiffs or a bunch of meat-headed rogues with a collective IQ of 35.

HuDaFuK

The thing that always cracks me up about the Marines is they'd be utterly useless in combat against other people. Those Smartgunners, just standing around with their guns tied to their hips, wouldn't last five seconds out in the open like that.

Xenomrph

The USCM Tech Manual covers that - there's easy ways to fire the smartgun while prone, or from behind cover.

But yeah, the smartgun as depicted in 'Aliens' is pretty much straight up coasting on the Rule of Cool. :P

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 07, 2014, 10:16:09 AMThe USCM Tech Manual covers that - there's easy ways to fire the smartgun while prone, or from behind cover.
It does, but it doesn't really explain explain how you're meant to move from cover to cover quickly when you've got a huge, unwieldy gun strapped to you... Or move through a house. Or fit in a foxhole.

Xenomrph

Check my edit to my post. :P

Kimarhi

Smartgun would work if the smartgunners had a MW juggernaut like setup, otherwise as soon as they were caught in an ambush lol nope.

But technology is making weapons smaller, not bigger.  By that time even with tracking capabilities the weapon is likely to be half that size.

But '80s.

Local Trouble

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 07, 2014, 10:20:57 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 07, 2014, 10:16:09 AMThe USCM Tech Manual covers that - there's easy ways to fire the smartgun while prone, or from behind cover.
It does, but it doesn't really explain explain how you're meant to move from cover to cover quickly when you've got a huge, unwieldy gun strapped to you... Or move through a house. Or fit in a foxhole.

Maybe smartguns are only used for bug hunts.

MrSpaceJockey

Bughunts aren't actual hunts for bugs.  Hudson was basically asking if there was going to be an actual stand up fight or some bullshit wild goose chase.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed