You think the new DH series has the potential to be a huge success?

Started by happypred, Jan 09, 2014, 03:35:43 AM

Author
You think the new DH series has the potential to be a huge success? (Read 2,812 times)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jan 13, 2014, 10:03:50 PM
Those comics were written by Paul Tobin, right? Wonder what he'll come up with Prometheus! :laugh:

Tobin wrote the comic adaptation. David Lapham wrote the sequel comic featuring the Four-Armed Predator.

Ultramorph

That's a relief! Not that I have many doubts still coming down from the high of those awesome covers revealed today!

RakaiThwei

The covers were awesome, I'll give them that. Plus this new series doesn't trample on the old one either.. That's the good part about that now I suppose. Though I wonder... is this going to be the start of an on-going title series or.. what? I mean now you got a crossover announced which is kind of crazy in a way and now I'm left to wonder if they're going to go full run with a monthly title.

Ultramorph

From what I've read in the different articles, an ongoing isn't nailed down just yet, but they are building up characters that will live and potentially star in other series. It all depends on sales, really, and I think that's why they're working so hard to build hype six months in advance.

shadowedge

What do you guys think the sales figures will be? I'm guessing that they are going to try and replace the Star Wars line with Aliens and Predator, so they will really to market these. I'd be happy if they sell around $25,000 a month, but it may be closer to 18000-20000 if you look at past sales.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jan 14, 2014, 03:18:50 AM
From what I've read in the different articles, an ongoing isn't nailed down just yet, but they are building up characters that will live and potentially star in other series. It all depends on sales, really, and I think that's why they're working so hard to build hype six months in advance.

If I may say something.. I am apprehensive about an on-going monthly series. Don't get me wrong, I love Alien, I love Predator, I love Aliens vs Predator but some films... I didn't like, namely PREDATORS. And I personally wouldn't want to see any Black Super Predators in the comics but since they are part of the franchise, it's only a matter of time before we see new BSPs in the comics. I hate the idea of having to put up with them but as a Predator fan, I have to grit my teeth and bare it.

Also, I am not too keen on writers changing things about the Predators. Sure, new comics are great but I hope that they don't change the culture and everything by introducing a Predator King (which echoes of the dreaded 1994 PREDATORS script) or do something too drastic which I would think doesn't suit the Predator mythology.

The only good thing or silver lining I can see out of this is that these new comics are a different continuity/canon from the old comics. I can still enjoy the old comics and they are likely still canon (unless Fox says something) in the franchise but no longer being updated. I guess that's all I have to say regarding that.

Forgive my apprehensiveness. Still though, cool that new comics are coming out.

Quote from: shadowedge on Jan 14, 2014, 03:26:25 AM
What do you guys think the sales figures will be? I'm guessing that they are going to try and replace the Star Wars line with Aliens and Predator, so they will really to market these. I'd be happy if they sell around $25,000 a month, but it may be closer to 18000-20000 if you look at past sales.

They do have other projects other than just Alien and Predator to replace Star Wars. They have Mass Effect and they are working on a new superhero title.. As for the sales... Hard to say.. I'm gonna say somewhere between 10,000 to 16,000.

Corporal Hicks

I don't think we'll be getting an on-going but it sounds as if they're trying to setup for another golden age of comics where we don't wait years between series.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 14, 2014, 08:02:03 AM
I don't think we'll be getting an on-going but it sounds as if they're trying to setup for another golden age of comics where we don't wait years between series.

It was such a shame that the old continuity had to be on hiatus for years. A part of me wants to say that it's because Dark Horse was too focused on maintaining their Star Wars titles but I'm guessing I would be wrong and biased in saying something like that. I only say this because after 1997, they were pumping out nothing but Star Wars for many years and that was the only title which I saw on comic book shelves which were being put out by Dark Horse. I'm sure they were still putting out Hellboy and the Hellboy spin-off titles but still, we didn't get anything AvP related until 2003 to 2010.

happypred

I believe the recent AvP comics have been

AvP Xenogenesis 1999
AvP Annual 1999
AvP Thrill of the Hunt 2004
AvP Civilised Beasts 2008
AvP TWW 2009

There's also these two shorts: one set in Iraq and one with two astronauts talking as they salvage a ship (one of them banged the other guy's wife)

very meagre offerings for a 15 year period

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Quote from: happypred on Jan 14, 2014, 03:47:23 PM
I believe the recent AvP comics have been

AvP Xenogenesis 1999
AvP Annual 1999
AvP Thrill of the Hunt 2004
AvP Civilised Beasts 2008
AvP TWW 2009

There's also these two shorts: one set in Iraq and one with two astronauts talking as they salvage a ship (one of them banged the other guy's wife)

very meagre offerings for a 15 year period

Now, with the reboot looking to be confirmed as four 4- issue minis, plus the Predator vs Dredd vs Aliens thing, which could be anywhere from 1 to 4 issues, we're looking at 17-20 issues in 2014. I don't think Dark Horse has had that level of A /v/P output since 1993 or 1994. This is pretty much a return to the golden age just in terms of number of issues coming out.

Not to mention 3 new novels, even though they aren't coming from Dark Horse.

happypred

I only mentioned AvP comics. If we were to include solo A/P comics, there'd be the solo Xenogenesis comics, the solo 2009 comics and the Predators comics. I don't think there were solo A/P comics from 2000 to 2008, only Thrill of the Hunt (connected to AvP 2004) and Civilised Beasts (released a few months after Requiem)

Ultramorph

Yeah, I just thought that your point was a good place to jump off with something I had noticed.  ;D

happypred

The Predators comics were really disappointing, four armed Goro predator...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed