Ridley Scott confirms progress with Prometheus 2

Started by ShadowPred, Oct 27, 2013, 05:03:04 AM

Author
Ridley Scott confirms progress with Prometheus 2 (Read 56,624 times)

predxeno

predxeno

QuoteHe didn't leave it in Fox's hands.  It was always in Fox's hands via Brandywine.  It was effectively in Giler and Hill's hands creatively.  Riddles was a hired hand.

Fair enough, but it's a rather moot point anyway.

QuoteWith Prometheus, he as director - a director with enough clout to not be bossed around by Fox - can pick and choose what he wants for the story and isn't beholden to other installments.  Especially tangential ones like AvP.  He referenced Aliens - while kinda creating some continuity errors there too, but what are you going to do?

Ridley Scott may not be beholden to the AVP films, but any film he makes in the series effectively is.  It doesn't matter how much clout Scott has, it does NOT give him the right to add unicorns or Barbie dolls to the story if it doesn't line up with previously established continuity.  Also, I think people are giving him too much credit; it appears that all films by major directors are now directed at the general audience rather than the hardcore fans of each genre, like they're supposed to be. 

I learned the lesson the hard way with James Cameron's Avatar, much of the attention seems focused on enhancing the special effects and creating a pretty environment for an alien planet rather than on actual plot.  The main character, James Sully, was also an idiot (stated implicitly by his behavior and actions, and stated explicitly by various characters); which was hardly someone a fan of diehard sci-fi could related to.  In my experience, fans like someone they can relate to while James Sully seemed like someone designed to appeal to the casual audience.  After Avatar, I learned what I needed to know and then predicted that Prometheus wouldn't live up to the hype of being a true Alien prequel, which is essentially true however you cast the die since it's more involved in telling its own story rather than keeping in line with any sort of continuity that should be maintained when taking a step into an already established franchise. 

No one cares about film integrity anymore, just look at the Star Wars films; George Lucas himself wanted to stop at the 2 trilogies but Disney is forcing him to make a 3rd and it doesn't just stop there, I hear Star Wars is going to become the new Avengers series for Disney with a new film coming out each year.  The Avengers films were great to watch by themselves but I hardly see them as anything that really makes a dent in moviemaking history that the first 2 Star Wars trilogies did.  This new Star Wars trilogy and its standalone movies are going to be fun (nah, most likely they'll suck, we'll be REALLY lucky if they prove the exception to the rule), but in the end I doubt it'll compare to the original classics (though that might not say much to begin with regarding all the hate aimed at the prequel trilogy).

QuoteYou'd be a tad naive if you thought those problems 'snuck past Fox's nose'.  They've never cared as to what continuity problems come up with new material for 25 years - why start now?  Especially with a big expensive film and one of the key people involved in the franchises initial success back on board.

You make a point there... unfortunately.

Xenomrph

QuoteHe referenced Aliens - while kinda creating some continuity errors there too
Could you elaborate on this?

predxeno

^I'm actually wondering about this as well.

Rong

Quote from: predxeno on Oct 31, 2013, 02:12:16 AM

No one cares about film integrity anymore, just look at the Star Wars films; George Lucas himself wanted to stop at the 2 trilogies but Disney is forcing him to make a 3rd and it doesn't just stop there, I hear Star Wars is going to become the new Avengers series for Disney with a new film coming out each year.  The Avengers films were great to watch by themselves but I hardly see them as anything that really makes a dent in moviemaking history that the first 2 Star Wars trilogies did.  This new Star Wars trilogy and its standalone movies are going to be fun (nah, most likely they'll suck, we'll be REALLY lucky if they prove the exception to the rule), but in the end I doubt it'll compare to the original classics (though that might not say much to begin with regarding all the hate aimed at the prequel trilogy).

Are you for f**king real?

hahahah

the bloke sold the rights and he already had them planned before the sale

SM

QuoteIt doesn't matter how much clout Scott has, it does NOT give him the right to add unicorns or Barbie dolls to the story if it doesn't line up with previously established continuity.

Um, yes it does.  What makes you think otherwise?

QuoteAlso, I think people are giving him too much credit; it appears that all films by major directors are now directed at the general audience rather than the hardcore fans of each genre, like they're supposed to be. 

You can't be that naive, surely?

QuoteNo one cares about film integrity anymore, just look at the Star Wars films; George Lucas himself wanted to stop at the 2 trilogies but Disney is forcing him to make a 3rd and it doesn't just stop there, I hear Star Wars is going to become the new Avengers series for Disney with a new film coming out each year.  The Avengers films were great to watch by themselves but I hardly see them as anything that really makes a dent in moviemaking history that the first 2 Star Wars trilogies did.  This new Star Wars trilogy and its standalone movies are going to be fun (nah, most likely they'll suck, we'll be REALLY lucky if they prove the exception to the rule), but in the end I doubt it'll compare to the original classics (though that might not say much to begin with regarding all the hate aimed at the prequel trilogy).

Or maybe you are...

Disney is forcing Lucas to do anything.  They own Star Wars and it cost them a lot of money and they want a return on their investment.  Lucas doesn't have much to do with them now.

predxeno

Quote from: Rong on Oct 31, 2013, 02:37:20 AM
Are you for f**king real?

hahahah

the bloke sold the rights and he already had them planned before the sale

Hmm, first time I'm hearing about this, then again I've been way behind on Star Wars stuff.  Last I heard, he said he was content with two trilogies and that's why he wasn't making a third.

Quote from: SM on Oct 31, 2013, 02:41:35 AM
QuoteIt doesn't matter how much clout Scott has, it does NOT give him the right to add unicorns or Barbie dolls to the story if it doesn't line up with previously established continuity.

Ok, let's put away the Star Wars stuff and keep things focused on Prometheus for now.  Ridley Scott started the series for sure, but I hardly think that gives him permission to do whatever he wants with it; I'm sure you're not suggesting he has the right to say... derail the entire franchise on purpose just for shit and giggles?

Rong

I think from ridleys perspective he gives 2 shits for the other films, only the ones he makes, and he has a healthy dose of respect for 'Aliens" and for good reason.

If the others get in the way of the story he wants to tell, he has all the rights to disregard the other films in my opinion, no point getting ocd over what is essentially a piece of fiction.

RobThom

Quote from: SM on Oct 31, 2013, 02:41:35 AM

I love ya SM but you need to expand the one liners.
:)

I agree, Cameron broke the continuity cherry when he added the queen and cocooning became just glue instead of eggs.

predxeno

Quote from: Rong on Oct 31, 2013, 02:47:23 AM
I think from ridleys perspective he gives 2 shits for the other films, only the ones he makes, and he has a healthy dose of respect for 'Aliens" and for good reason.

If the others get in the way of the story he wants to tell, he has all the rights to disregard the other films in my opinion, no point getting ocd over what is essentially a piece of fiction.

I guess this is the greatest truth I need to accept, perhaps what ALL fans need to accept as I'm not the only one obsessing over these technical details.  It's just so infuriating when someone just goes off and breaks continuity, I feel that Ridley Scott did to the Alien franchise what many people feel Gearbox did to Aliens: Colonial Marines.

RobThom

Quote from: Rong on Oct 31, 2013, 02:47:23 AM..., no point getting ocd over what is essentially a piece of fiction.

Interesting.

Would we be discussing this without OCD over a piece of fiction?

SM

QuoteOk, let's put away the Star Wars stuff and keep things focused on Prometheus for now.  Ridley Scott started the series for sure, but I hardly think that gives him permission to do whatever he wants with it; I'm sure you're not suggesting he has the right to say... derail the entire franchise on purpose just for shit and giggles?

Fox pays him enough to not derail the entire franchise just for shits and giggles.  He has final cut, but if Fox starts seeing footage of Shaw fighting a mutant My Little Pony, of course they're going to step in.  That's not going to happen though.  And didn't.

Xenomrph

Quote from: RobThom on Oct 31, 2013, 03:00:10 AM

Quote from: Rong on Oct 31, 2013, 02:47:23 AM..., no point getting ocd over what is essentially a piece of fiction.

Interesting.

What do you mean?

Rong is right, by the way.

(god it felt weird typing that sentence :P )

RobThom

Quote from: Xenomrph on Oct 31, 2013, 03:06:33 AM

Interesting.

What do you mean?

I'm not sure how I could be more obvious?

There wouldn't be franchises and websites and discussions focused on fictional worlds without "OCD" about it?

(Explaining things seems even more obtuse.)

predxeno

Quote from: SM on Oct 31, 2013, 03:05:28 AM
QuoteOk, let's put away the Star Wars stuff and keep things focused on Prometheus for now.  Ridley Scott started the series for sure, but I hardly think that gives him permission to do whatever he wants with it; I'm sure you're not suggesting he has the right to say... derail the entire franchise on purpose just for shit and giggles?

Fox pays him enough to not derail the entire franchise just for shits and giggles.  He has final cut, but if Fox starts seeing footage of Shaw fighting a mutant My Little Pony, of course they're going to step in.  That's not going to happen though.  And didn't.

I realize I have rather... radical beliefs, all I ask is for people to respect yet not understand these beliefs the same way I respect yet not understand how AVPR is supposedly the worse film in the franchise and how A:CM somehow destroys all continuity with Hicks' forced, yet canon, revival.

Rong

Quote from: RobThom on Oct 31, 2013, 03:09:39 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Oct 31, 2013, 03:06:33 AM

Interesting.

What do you mean?

I'm not sure how I could be more obvious?

There wouldn't be franchises and websites and discussions focused on fictional worlds without "OCD" about it?

(Explaining things seems even more obtuse.)

They are called fan sites not bitch out sites

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed