Theology

Started by Sabby, Sep 01, 2013, 02:51:02 AM

Author
Theology (Read 214,142 times)

Sabby

Sabby

It feels so good to make my 1,000th post saying this.

This f**king thread indeed.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 23, 2014, 03:45:17 AM
Jesus loves you Cal.
That's one more than I thought. Thanks mom and Jesus.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Aspie counts as three.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Yayyyyyyyyy!

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

...man, I totally missed the party...

maledoro

maledoro

The party is just getting started.

Sabby

Sabby

It aint a party until someone who believes in devine genocide questions your morality.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Sabby on Mar 23, 2014, 01:56:34 PMIt aint a party until someone who believes in devine genocide questions your morality.
Oh, well, in that case, it had already started yesterday.

Bjørn Half-hand

Bjørn Half-hand

A church goer has a very sick son so she gets the people of her church to pray for him. He eventually gets better. They credit god for healing the sick boy, through the power of prayer. Now remembering that the boys mother is a devout believer, she gets prayer help from her church group (whom are all good, devout, Christians). Only after much worshipping, thanking, begging and praying will god heal the boy.

Why?

Why will god only help his follwers after they have worshipped him, loved him and begged for help? Surely he would know their suffering as he's omnipotent. So he sees a sick child (a good little Christian boy at that), knows the situation, but will only heal him after he's been suitably placated with adoration, love, worship and prayer.

With his unlimited power he could have healed the sick boy at any time, or even stopped him getting sick, he could wipe out all disease in the world if it struck his fancy, yet he will only step into help after being showered with adoration from the little mortals he created.

Am I the only one who thinks that doesn't sound like a loving god? A god that loves unconditionally?

Sabby

Sabby

God is like any other story character from mythology, things get really weird when you try to pin down their properties. The version of God that mother and her Church believes in is still incredibly nebulous, as I severely doubt any of them spare more then a few minutes to consider His properties.

But for someone who actually asks the questions you are now, they see how fragmented, half formed and contradictory this God appears to be. Trying to make sense of it is going to give you very interesting results.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: Bjørn Half-hand on Mar 23, 2014, 04:23:39 PM
A church goer has a very sick son so she gets the people of her church to pray for him. He eventually gets better. They credit god for healing the sick boy, through the power of prayer. Now remembering that the boys mother is a devout believer, she gets prayer help from her church group (whom are all good, devout, Christians). Only after much worshipping, thanking, begging and praying will god heal the boy.

Why?

Why will god only help his follwers after they have worshipped him, loved him and begged for help? Surely he would know their suffering as he's omnipotent. So he sees a sick child (a good little Christian boy at that), knows the situation, but will only heal him after he's been suitably placated with adoration, love, worship and prayer.

With his unlimited power he could have healed the sick boy at any time, or even stopped him getting sick, he could wipe out all disease in the world if it struck his fancy, yet he will only step into help after being showered with adoration from the little mortals he created.

Am I the only one who thinks that doesn't sound like a loving god? A god that loves unconditionally?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K5PGWZ0DWI#ws

Sabby

Sabby

I haven't seen Zeitgeist... I do hear about it a lot from Skepticism blogs, and for the most part, people seem to really take issue with it.

I have seen one of the sequels, however, since my brother is a spiritualist who likes to push his woo on people, but that one was more about the monetary system then religion.

maledoro

maledoro

Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin

Quote from: maledoro on Mar 23, 2014, 02:36:33 AM
Quote from: Dovahkiin on Mar 22, 2014, 11:27:58 PMIf an Atheist observes Christians and calls them sheep or idiots based on their beliefs, they're a judgmental self-righteous prick who needs to get the f**k off their high horse and accept the fact that some people have faith no matter what.
And if the observed are sheep?

Just because people have a certain belief system doesn't make them sheep. Anyone who thinks that is a cock in my book.

My post was to point out the flaws on both sides, so people, just f**king chill. You're all so sensitive.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed