Model name for the EEV in Alien 3?

Started by HuDaFuK, Jun 04, 2013, 11:03:55 AM

Author
Model name for the EEV in Alien 3? (Read 10,034 times)

Darwinsgirl

The Sulaco EEV took 5 but there could possibly been more than one EEV for the ship?

It doesn't make sense for EEV's to not have the capacity to hold the crew. 

SiL

SiL

There were multiple EEVs for the Sulaco (Not so clear in the film. The book's explicit). There may have been two shuttles on the Nostromo (Although the second, again, is only mentioned in the book).

QuoteIt doesn't make sense for EEV's to not have the capacity to hold the crew.
The Titanic would agree... :-\

Darwinsgirl

Quote from: SiL on Jun 10, 2013, 10:49:24 PM
There were multiple EEVs for the Sulaco (Not so clear in the film. The book's explicit). There may have been two shuttles on the Nostromo (Although the second, again, is only mentioned in the book).

QuoteIt doesn't make sense for EEV's to not have the capacity to hold the crew.
The Titanic would agree... :-\

Especially when the crew is so small in comparison to the crew of the Titanic. ;)  (not including passengers)

Local Trouble

I'm guessing that the Nostromo probably wasn't designed to be scuttled under such dire circumstances.  That is, without two working shuttles and outside of said shuttles' normal operating range.

SM

SM

If dire circumstances means a reduced crew, then it's designed precisely to be scuttled in those circumstances. :)

As for the EEVs, you can see 5 or 6 when the main one launches in the film.

Local Trouble

I'm assuming that it wasn't designed to be scuttled several weeks from rescue, but rather a relatively short shuttle-ride away from a safe port.

SM

SM

I don't think there is a "relatively short" shuttle ride away when you're talking about these sort of things.  The Nostromo, once leaving Thedus doesn't come within cooee of any other system until it reaches Sol.  It spends the entire time in interstellar space.  If the Narcissus doesn't have a FTL drive it's going to take a very long time to get anywhere.

And while it may seem strange that the Nostromo doesn't have a dedicated lifeboat, it's interesting to note that in over 50 years of humans going into space, we've never designed any space vehicle that has a dedicated lifeboat.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I'm talking about within the Sol or some other inhabited system.  The Nostromo's detonation sure looked violent and scary, but Ripley couldn't have been very far away from it at the time either.  I imagine, under normal circumstances, they'd probably scuttle it a few thousand klicks away from anything or anyone just to be safe, but that's nothing in astronomical terms.

I don't really care either way if the Narcissus has an FTL drive.  I haven't done the math, though, so I don't know how far it could have possibly traveled in 57 years without one.

SM

SM

QuoteI'm talking about within the Sol or some other inhabited system.

Well that's do-able - especially with a couple of hypersleep capsules.

Local Trouble

Wait, how many cryotubes does the Narcissus have?  I only remember one.

SiL

SiL

It has two.

SM

SM

Local Trouble

The presence of cryotubes practically confirms that the shuttle has an FTL drive anyway.  Why else would a shuttle need them unless it was designed to operate FTL distances away from its mothership?

SM

SM

Or that it doesn't have a FTL drive and the tubes are needed because it takes so long to fly anywhere and couldn't sustain a woken crew for extended periods.

Local Trouble

True.  Also, Zeta 2 Reticuli is only 39 light years away.  The shuttle wouldn't need an FTL drive to reach Earth in 57 years.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed