"What are my chances?" - masterpiece of a scene

Started by Salt The Fries, Mar 10, 2013, 01:52:51 PM

Author
"What are my chances?" - masterpiece of a scene (Read 7,775 times)

Mr. Clemens

Well, I'll grant you that that scene could be interpreted in two ways... but Ripley's later scene with Ash in the infirmary certainly raises red flags before the "two days before we left Thedus" scene does!

RoaryUK

Quote from: SM on Jun 05, 2013, 12:05:04 AM
The minute he opens the hatch, it paints him as the good guy on Dallas and Lambert's side against the all-too-rigid Ripley.

Why would it affect Lambert, she didn't like Ripley anyway and the book suggests she had a thing for Ash!!  ;D

SM

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Jun 05, 2013, 05:34:30 PM
Well, I'll grant you that that scene could be interpreted in two ways... but Ripley's later scene with Ash in the infirmary certainly raises red flags before the "two days before we left Thedus" scene does!

The later scene still leaves us with the feeling that Ash is looking out for Kane while Ripley is overly officious and too rule driven (which she is).

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: SM on Jun 05, 2013, 11:40:05 PM
Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Jun 05, 2013, 05:34:30 PM

The later scene still leaves us with the feeling that Ash is looking out for Kane while Ripley is overly officious and too rule driven (which she is).

It may have left you with that feeling, but my feeling was entirely different. Ash is much too evasive in that scene. We saw in the breakfast scene what a stickler he is for the rules... why break them now? Plus, just the fact that Ripley had armed herself with scissors for the talk told me that, 'she thinks this guy might be dangerous, and we're clearly supposed to, as well'. :)

SM

I'm just talking about face value.  Holm plays it superbly ambiguous that makes you think he might be suss, while he's saying all the right things to get the audience on side, while Ripley is seen as antagonistic.

Mr. Clemens

Oh, I'm definitely not disagreeing with your assessment of the scene. It's one of my faves in the film, actually (especially considering this was sort of Sigourney's debut)... and Ash certainly isn't twirling his moustache and tying people to the railroad tracks.

I guess it's a classic example of the experiences and attitudes that we ourselves bring to a movie, when we watch it for the first time!

LastSurvivor92

I appreciated this scene in the original theatrical cut but why did Ridley include it in the new Director's Cut? I understand some the pacing reasons involved but I thought it was perfect without it already.

SM

Did it get reinserted in the 4K Directors Cut?

Elmazalman

Quote from: SM on Jun 18, 2019, 05:54:50 AM
No, it did not. The edits are identical but the CGI (star fields, spacesuit helmet lights, etc) embellishments have not been reinstated.

If you haven't seen the 4K disc yet, and are still viewing the old 2010 BD - you're missing out on a beautiful restoration.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Elmazalman on Jun 18, 2019, 07:51:09 AMThe edits are identical but the CGI (star fields, spacesuit helmet lights, etc) embellishments have not been reinstated.

I knew about the star fields, but what got tweaked with the helmet lights in the (old) DC?

Elmazalman

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 18, 2019, 08:02:48 AM
Quote from: Elmazalman on Jun 18, 2019, 07:51:09 AMThe edits are identical but the CGI (star fields, spacesuit helmet lights, etc) embellishments have not been reinstated.

I knew about the star fields, but what got tweaked with the helmet lights in the (old) DC?
This only applies to the 2010 DC - not the 2003 original, but there's an added shot of the astronauts helmet lights rounding a rock formation during sunrise.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Interesting. That one had slipped by me. Wasn't aware they'd tweaked the first film for Blu-ray like they did the second.

But then again I'm not sure I've ever actually watched the Director's Cut on Blu.

SM

Quote from: Elmazalman on Jun 18, 2019, 07:51:09 AM
Quote from: SM on Jun 18, 2019, 05:54:50 AM
No, it did not. The edits are identical but the CGI (star fields, spacesuit helmet lights, etc) embellishments have not been reinstated.

If you haven't seen the 4K disc yet, and are still viewing the old 2010 BD - you're missing out on a beautiful restoration.

No doubt.

Don't have a lazy $2-$3k to drop on a new telly and 4K player to watch one movie though.

Elmazalman

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 18, 2019, 10:34:26 AM
Interesting. That one had slipped by me. Wasn't aware they'd tweaked the first film for Blu-ray like they did the second.

But then again I'm not sure I've ever actually watched the Director's Cut on Blu.
The added radio static (2003 DC) heard when Ripley uses the wall com to call Parker and Lambert, has been removed for the 2010 DC.

The Old One

The Old One

The "DC" is a botch job in my opinion, and the 4K version is a botch job of the aforementioned botch job.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed