Xenomorph Queen

Started by Kalawaki, Feb 20, 2013, 03:10:19 AM

Author
Xenomorph Queen (Read 5,348 times)

SiL

SiL

She was designed as something that was supposed to spend its time sitting on its ass pooping out eggs. Which isn't conducive to strong legs.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: SiL on Feb 24, 2013, 01:59:47 AM
She was designed as something that was supposed to spend its time sitting on its ass pooping out eggs. Which isn't conducive to strong legs.

How dare you destroy the illusion that her sole function is to act as a video game boss fight. >:(

Terx2

Terx2

Quote from: The Runner on Feb 23, 2013, 10:56:36 PM
Quote from: Ash 937 on Feb 23, 2013, 09:56:44 PM
A:CM proves that the Queen in Aliens was a juvenile because it was significantly smaller than the one in Aliens.  I like how A:CM opens up the canon to a debate about just how big queens can get.  Maybe we will see an even larger one when Gearbox releases DLC or gives us a sequel to A:CM.

How tall was the queen in A:CM?

Hard to say. Maybe twenty to twenty five feet? :-\

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Flipping switches does not a boss fight make.

SiL

SiL

It can.

Just not when your boss has a tendency to get stuck attacking an empty crate for three minutes after you've run out of it.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

I can't think of many where it's really been done and done well. I like to personally end the big-bad myself, though. Buttons feel so indirect. The best example of "push button to beat" boss I can think of that did it well was in Resident Evil : Code Veronica, when you had to use a cargo delivery system to knock a Tyrant out of the back of a plane... But even there you had to use ammunition to weaken it down, and had to wait for the thing to charge. It was intense. Resources weren't all that plentiful. At the very least the player should feel like they're being given something special to do the job with. (Super Metroid, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Dead Space, Resident Evil 2 are all examples of doing that kind of thing well... etc.)

I mean, when the showdown comes, it better be an Earth shattering experience. If it doesn't get my blood flowing, ... If you can casually beat the main boss. That's a sign of failure. Especially when it amounts to push button, push button, oh buh-bye your highness.

Aceburster

Aceburster

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 24, 2013, 12:19:00 PM
I can't think of many where it's really been done and done well. I like to personally end the big-bad myself, though. Buttons feel so indirect. The best example of "push button to beat" boss I can think of that did it well was in Resident Evil : Code Veronica, when you had to use a cargo delivery system to knock a Tyrant out of the back of a plane... But even there you had to use ammunition to weaken it down, and had to wait for the thing to charge. It was intense. Resources weren't all that plentiful. At the very least the player should feel like they're being given something special to do the job with. (Super Metroid, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Dead Space, Resident Evil 2 are all examples of doing that kind of thing well... etc.)

I mean, when the showdown comes, it better be an Earth shattering experience. If it doesn't get my blood flowing, ... If you can casually beat the main boss. That's a sign of failure. Especially when it amounts to push button, push button, oh buh-bye your highness.

Totally agree man. They coulda had a firefight where you have to whittle the queen down while shes wrecking ifinite spawn marine helpers, hit her with a crane loaded with girders, smash an APC into her, have her chase you down into a magma pit and cook her and then finally when she pops back out on fire and all hope is lost... someone launches a volley of missiles at her from a dropship, or even better, YOU get to do it.

( just realized thats every boss fight from resident evil lol)

but how can you follow up one of the most memorable climaxes to a movie with something so fail and halfhearted. Hicks coulda atleast detonated himself and blew her out the back...

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Aceburster on Feb 24, 2013, 12:33:30 PM
Hicks coulda atleast detonated himself and blew her out the back...

"Yo, she-bitch, let me tell you a story!"

SiL

SiL

Alien Resurrection, from memory, has you running around the Betty until you finally corner the Newborn in the cargo lock and blow it out into space ... by pressing a button. You could shoot it, but the most you'd do, I think, was knock it over.

The game sets up something that may actually prove tricky -- running from one side of the track to the other to get to the buttons, getting them in sequence, etc. -- but the Queen is such a limp enemy in that encounter that pushing buttons becomes all you do.

Why they didn't go full Aliens and make it a Powerloader fight is beyond me.

Elicas

Elicas

Quote from: SiL on Feb 24, 2013, 12:51:24 PM

Well, the powerloader fight that is in the game was shit anyway. Would that wildly inaccurate flailing of a boxing match really made the ending any better?

SiL

SiL

At least you'd feel like you were doing something.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I'm glad they didn't.  I'd rather see a militarized, fully armored and weaponized version of the powerloader deployed with the marines in future games.

Elicas

Elicas

Quote from: RC on Feb 24, 2013, 11:11:40 PM

I'm glad they didn't.  I'd rather see a militarized, fully armored and weaponized version of the powerloader deployed with the marines in future games.

I'd rather they stepped away from the powerloader, and maybe had some sort of proper exo-suit like how the Marauder suit is described in the Starship Troopers book.

Terx2

Terx2

Quote from: RC on Feb 24, 2013, 11:11:40 PM

They did have a powerloader with a flamethrower attatchment in the demo. Wonder why they didn't put it in the final game?

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Berserkers, man... From the 'Tribes' comic. Concept's easily translatable into a computer game.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed