The Space Jockey's Ship size - who really thinks the egg chamber is separate?

Started by Esoteric_Voyage, Jan 15, 2013, 10:51:53 AM

Author
The Space Jockey's Ship size - who really thinks the egg chamber is separate? (Read 10,154 times)

Valaquen

Part of the ship. Giger talked about it years ago, saying that the idea of the eggs being there was like termites embedded in the cellar of a house. And if you think the size and shape of the hold don't match up - it's surrealist art, dude :P

Xenomorphine

Supposedly part of the ship, but I was a part of a group from years ago, which tried to write a script revolving around the events of Hadley's Hope and there were calculations done along the same lines SM posted (I forget if it was someone in the group or on the News Group, at the time): The measurements don't add up.

That, combined with the original idea for the script, of it having docked onto a pre-existing silo of a much more ancient civilisation (which would then foreshadow the events which would occur to the Nostromo's crew), always seemed more interesting to explore for me.

Either that or the derelict not being a ship, but just a visible part of a large facility - which 'Prometheus' has now remove all fictional possibility of.

So, I'd like to think the cavern is different, both because of the measurements and because that was the original story's foreshadowing intent, but it really could be either possibility. 'Prometheus' did show that the Engineers like to store containers on the ground in a building, apparently ready for loading into ships in a different manner, after all, so, it could still be so.

MrSpaceJockey

APC measurements of the interior and  exterior don't match up either though.

SM

Nothing much does.  The Nostromo interiors and exterios don't fit properly.

The Derelict is one of the things that can fit because we never see all of the exterior.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Jan 20, 2013, 09:02:29 PM
APC measurements of the interior and  exterior don't match up either though.

The APC doesn't have the issue of people seeming to enter it at more or less 'ground level' to the apparent hull, yet clearly descend a heck of a lot further beneath it. :)

SM

The obvious answer is there is a lot more of the Derelict buried.

So no issue.

LarsVader

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jan 20, 2013, 08:59:53 PM
Either that or the derelict not being a ship, but just a visible part of a large facility - which 'Prometheus' has now remove all fictional possibility of.
The Juggernaut and the Derelict don't match up either.

I personally think it's still as ambiguous as before.
But I like to see this more from the production perspective then trying to find an in-universe explanation for everything.

SM

Yeah the Derelict and Juggernaut are similar but ultimately different designs.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: SM on Jan 20, 2013, 10:33:46 PM
The obvious answer is there is a lot more of the Derelict buried.

So no issue.

I used to think that a possibility, but what we see lifting off in the latest film doesn't seem to show anything extra in the basic design.

I'm also not sure the curve of the chamber matches up to how the prongs are, either. Where Kane ventures looks like a curved M-shape. At least, the side the camera faces does.

SM

From what we see of the Derelict and Juggernaut, the differences are obvious, both internally and externally.

And since we know Kane is on the ship, that part of the ship is below ground level.

Sorted.

MrSpaceJockey

How did Kane get from the vents to the jockey pilot chair room. never quite got it. If memory serves me right they're just walking along and he climbs up the side if the wall onto the chair platform and suddenly it's an enclosed room?

SM

I don't think it's an enclosed room as such, but yeah, more or less.  In light of Prometheus, it's a little confused now as what previously could've been open hatchways where they entered - now seem to be engine nozzles.

MrSpaceJockey

I never took them as hatches though, so much as air vents, because of the width of the halls (past the ginas) being a small size compared to a space jockey (I was questioning the layout before we heard about engineers)

Though some Prometheus concept art had them as doors.

The way it's shot in film makes it seem like there's some kind of hole in the chair room that leads to the tunnel Kane comes from. Even though we know there isn't, since there's no tunnels on the walls of the egg chamber set (though technically these rooms might not be identical rooms in"movie continuity")  Hope I'm making sense here.

I'm interested to see in ACM if they just make it a round chamber ala Prometheus or a cylindrical(?) one like the original, since only 1 side of a very flat wall was built in the original movie.

SM

QuoteI never took them as hatches though, so much as air vents, because of the width of the halls (past the ginas)

You're right.  I did know that.  Dunno how I forgot.

Quote--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The way it's shot in film makes it seem like there's some kind of hole in the chair room that leads to the tunnel Kane comes from. Even though we know there isn't, since there's no tunnels on the walls of the egg chamber set (though technically these rooms might not be identical rooms in"movie continuity")  Hope I'm making sense here.

I think the entrance to the chamber is simply out of frame, down below the level of the platform.

QuoteI'm interested to see in ACM if they just make it a round chamber ala Prometheus or a cylindrical(?) one like the original, since only 1 side of a very flat wall was built in the original movie.

I'm guessing they'll go with spherical (which matches Giger's orginal artwork), over the horizontal cylinder, but that's only a guess.

LarsVader

Giger originally designed an upwards winding spiral like corridor beneath the chair platform.
The set obviously never got build.
The chamber was clearly designed to be right under the dome that is on top of the middle section, as seen in Gigers painting.

This could mean that the chamber was originally supposed to be on a much higher level then the entry orifices and maybe would have enough space beneath it for the egg chamber.

Don't forget, the Derelict is much bigger then the Juggernaut.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed