"Bad" Film Therapy Circle - Let's talk about the good things...

Started by Requiem28, Jan 11, 2013, 02:31:42 PM

Author
"Bad" Film Therapy Circle - Let's talk about the good things... (Read 1,045 times)

Requiem28

Requiem28

Alright.  Let's admit it.  There's atleast (more than) one movie that each and everyone of us HATES - or just dislikes.

This thread is on a mission to help us all gather a new respect for the film that we've had a bad taste for.  We will learn a new way of looking at these movies.  A way to find the little things we can't help but enjoy; whether it be paying closer attention to detail, watching all films in its franchise to gain better understanding of that film, checking out the director's other projects with similar direction, watching the behind the scenes to see the effort put into the project, simply going in to the movie with zero expectation, etc...

Just to name a few popular disliked movies:

Twilight (franchise)
Superman Returns
Batman & Robin
AVP
AVP-R
Alien: Resurrection
Godzilla (1998)
X-men Origins: Wolverine
Predators
Terminator 3
Terminator Salvation
Jurassic Park 3
Prometheus
Transformers (franchise)
Hulk (2003)
Iron Man 2
Indiana Jones 4
Ghost Rider (1 and 2)
Dare Devil
Spider-Man 3
The Wolfman (2010)

Etc...

Here is where you guys can talk about any movie and discuss some of the things about the movie that, deep down, you have a guilty pleasure for.  You can also help convince others why you think a certain bad movie can be better enjoyed.

This thread is here to help us see these movies with new, more accepting eyes!  So....LET US BEGIN!

* NO SARCASM!

First Blood

Batman & Robin is pure genius.

I wish I could meet the guy who wrote the dialogue for Mr. Freeze. 

Requiem28

Quote from: First Blood on Jan 11, 2013, 02:38:13 PM

Oh yeah.  And no sarcasm  :laugh:

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: First Blood on Jan 11, 2013, 02:38:13 PM

I haven't seen the film, but I heard the "freeze in Hell" joke. That is actually an extremely intelligent and clever reference; in Dante's Inferno the final circle of Hell is actually ice, not fire ;)

About the thread, great idea! I'm going to have to give myself a bit of time to think about it :)

Eva

InB4 Cvalda goes to town with Troll 2... :D

Anyways, I can't help but admit some level of guilty pleasure from watching some early/late 90s Steven Seagal movies, like Above The Law, Out For Justice, the Under Siege movies etc. There must be 117 reasons why they suck and why Seagal should be splitting timber with his face at a sawmill instead of acting, but I can't help get a kick out of watching this level of über-masculinity and a ponytail on display. They are quite hilarious to watch with a group of friends. :)

Peakius Baragonius

I unironically love Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and consider it just about on par with the first three (best movie tetralogy ever btw). After years of waiting for it as a kid, seeing that movie in theaters with all my friends the day after it came out was the best 13th birthday present ever!! It was an Indy-themed party too...ah, nostalgia...

I also think that a lot of Plinkett's criticisms in his review (the only negative review of the film I actually respect)...really don't matter. The point is that Indiana Jones still kicks butt when he's older, and the political situation isn't really as black and white as it was back in the day of the first three movies.

Cal427eb

Quote from: Peakius Baragonius on Jan 11, 2013, 07:04:28 PM
I unironically love Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and consider it just about on par with the first three (best movie tetralogy ever btw). After years of waiting for it as a kid, seeing that movie in theaters with all my friends the day after it came out was the best 13th birthday present ever!! It was an Indy-themed party too...ah, nostalgia...

I also think that a lot of Plinkett's criticisms in his review (the only negative review of the film I actually respect)...really don't matter. The point is that Indiana Jones still kicks butt when he's older, and the political situation isn't really as black and white as it was back in the day of the first three movies.
You had a birthday party too for that movie?!

Ruadh

This is always difficult for me, since if I really love a movie, I tend to not feel guilty about it. I guess Green Lantern and John Carter are ones I really enjoy that a lot of people seemed to not...or not even give a chance. Green Lantern isn't a great movie, but I enjoyed watching it on cable, and same with Carter. I bought both after Christmas.

Cvalda

From that list, I unabashedly love Alien Resurrection (even with its myriad of faults). Batman & Robin is hilariously, deliriously awful, and is very entertaining for that fact, but I still have trouble making it through to the end. It's so relentlessly manic that you get ending fatigue 30 minutes into it.

TJ Doc

In spite of, well, everything that is wrong with Highlander II, I enjoy every demented, legacy destroying scene.

Michael Ironside's finest hour.

Quote from: Eva on Jan 11, 2013, 02:48:13 PM
Anyways, I can't help but admit some level of guilty pleasure from watching some early/late 90s Steven Seagal movies, like Above The Law, Out For Justice, the Under Siege movies etc. There must be 117 reasons why they suck and why Seagal should be splitting timber with his face at a sawmill instead of acting, but I can't help get a kick out of watching this level of über-masculinity and a ponytail on display. They are quite hilarious to watch with a group of friends. :)

For the love of...

Where were you during my Seagal phase? :D

Aspie

In 2012: TDKR, BattleShip, Twilight, Ghost Rider 2, and Dark Shadows.

BANE

The Hobbit.

But for some reason I can't stop watching it.  >:(

Deathbearer

Quote from: Aspie on Jan 11, 2013, 10:06:24 PM
In 2012: TDKR

Only thing good in the movie was when Bane did things. MOTHAf**kIN' BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANE!!

Aspie

Quote from: BANE on Jan 11, 2013, 10:10:39 PM
The Hobbit.

But for some reason I can't stop watching it.  >:(

Because there was a glimpse of what could've been! Alas, it was just a shadow of a soul.  :(

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion

Except for Twilight and Prometheus because I have and most likely will not seen them I enjoy every movie mentioned in this thread.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed