Fresh second viewing impressions

Started by Salt The Fries, Dec 24, 2012, 07:59:50 PM

Author
Fresh second viewing impressions (Read 13,027 times)

Primordial

Quote from: Eva on Dec 28, 2012, 11:59:57 PM
It makes sense that if Weyland wanted to find out how the black goo reacts and potentially changes a human being on a molecular level, he would choose one of the scientists as the test subject. In a best case scenario, Holloway would be able to give a scientific POV account of what's going on (when he discovers that he's infected - he wouldn't know that he was infected by David) and Weyland would be able to determine whether the black goo in itself can fulfill his personal ambition of more life or not.

Of course, nothing of this comes to pass - it becomes a worst case scenario and when Weyland is informed that a living engineer resides inside the structure, the infection angle becomes 'Plan B' and all his interest is directed towards confronting the engineer for answers.
Nice point of view. It makes a lot of sense that Holloway was chosen.

I don't think David thinks or feels in terms of 'revenge'. I just think his ways of reasoning appears very cynical seen from the outside.
Imo, David shares some traits of his narcissistic 'father' Weyland.
Before giving the glass to Charlie, David seems annoyed by him when he is told that it's good he can't be disappointed. David answers 'Well, it's wonderful actually" but he intercept the ball Holloway throws in a irrated manner. His words don't match his act.

Even if anyway he was going to infect Shaw's boyfriend, it looks like he is willing to punish him (a commun trait of a narcissistic person). His quote 'Doesn't everyone want their parent dead ?' is very enigmatic also.

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Dec 29, 2012, 12:24:57 PM
David doesn't need approval for anything unless it comes from Weyland himself
I agree, he is clearly lying when he says 'Want ? Not a concept I'm familiar with'.

SM

SM

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Dec 29, 2012, 12:24:57 PM
Quote from: SM on Dec 28, 2012, 11:12:42 PMDavid's directive from Weyland was "Try harder".  I'm not sure he would've contaminated Charlie without Charlie's tacet approval.

David doesn't need approval for anything unless it comes from Weyland himself: opening the temple door despite Shaw's protestations, wandering off and exploring on his own despite Vickers' protestations, sedating Shaw despite Shaw's protestations. IMO the "what would you be willing to do" scene is meant to hint at a devious, possibly deranged but ultimately vengeful mind; a completely different kind of robot mind that we are used to in the Alien universe.

More of a Blade Runner type robot mind?

Bit of a difference between acting on his own initiative (very likely driven by Weyland) and doing something that will likely cause harm to someone.  Opening doors or exploring on his own aren't likely to cause harm.  Charlie ingesting black goop on the other hand...

Eva

Eva

Quote from: PrimitifAlien on Dec 29, 2012, 05:20:13 PM
I don't think David thinks or feels in terms of 'revenge'. I just think his ways of reasoning appears very cynical seen from the outside.
Imo, David shares some traits of his narcissistic 'father' Weyland.
Before giving the glass to Charlie, David seems annoyed by him when he is told that it's good he can't be disappointed. David answers 'Well, it's wonderful actually" but he intercept the ball Holloway throws in a irrated manner. His words don't match his act.

Even if anyway he was going to infect Shaw's boyfriend, it looks like he is willing to punish him (a commun trait of a narcissistic person). His quote 'Doesn't everyone want their parent dead ?' is very enigmatic also.

While whatever 'wants' or 'desires' David experiences on a personal level probably doesn't mimic those of a man, I think it's pretty evident that they aren't zero or non-existing. When we first meet David in the film, he's re-watching Lawrence Of Arabia over and over, speaking some of his lines to himself. Clearly David is identifying with Lawrence on some level, not just in physical appearance by applying hair dye to himself.

So who was Lawrence..? Well, he was a man that nobody seemed to hold in any form of regard, nobody seemed to see any potential in him. A misfit used by his superiors to whatever purpose they could devise for him. Then something happened to Lawrence out there in the desert; he found a higher purpose for him being there, a purpose not aligned with that of those who sent him there.

Imo, this is key to the character of David. He quotes the film again: 'In the desert there's nothing and no man needs nothing', meaning that even though you believe there's no greater meaning to be found about our existence, that won't stop people from looking for it. It's in our nature to search for a meaning with our lives... or perhaps create one for ourselves. So, has David reached a level of self awareness where he's looking for some meaning with his own existence, despite the fact that his creators inform him that he was created just because they could? My guess is yes, he has.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: Effectz on Dec 29, 2012, 06:35:46 AM
I watched it in Blu Ray with a friend,It looked absolutely amazing,didn't defeat the fact about all the loopholes the movie had.

From Collider.com guy called Jason Murphy,he summed it up pretty well.

The worst thing about the film was the script. Oh, and the plethora of mistakes & stupid contrivances. An awful mess of a film that had more holes than chicken wire

Is there a list of plot holes anywhere? I didn't see any that destroyed the film - if any at all. But they come up in criticism of the movie a lot.

SM

SM

"Plot hole" is a lazy catch-all used these days often by people who don't know what a plot hole actually is.

That's not to say Prometheus doesn't have them.  Fifield getting lost struck me as one.

whiterabbit

Quote from: SM on Jan 01, 2013, 03:18:26 AM
"Plot hole" is a lazy catch-all used these days often by people who don't know what a plot hole actually is.

That's not to say Prometheus doesn't have them.  Fifield getting lost struck me as one.
He cracked under pressure and probably was suffering from hyper sleep fatigue which botched his memory.

SM

SM

I can forgive a lot.  But not that much.  They had a 3D map on the ship and were able to give Janek their co-ordinates.  For all the talk of storm interference, we never actually see in in regards to the map.  Janek could've guided them back to the entrance and they could've waited it out there.

The greenhorn lieutenant in Aliens could read a 2D map okay.  His interpretation was a bit off, but that's by the by.

SiL

SiL

Fifield was the one leading people in the first place. He had the pup information on his wrist.

It's a plot hole.

Blacklabel

Spaihts script has him freaking out and losing the map.

"insert rant on why didnt ridley put that scene in the film"

sigh.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: SM on Jan 01, 2013, 04:30:21 AM
I can forgive a lot.  But not that much.  They had a 3D map on the ship and were able to give Janek their co-ordinates.  For all the talk of storm interference, we never actually see in in regards to the map.  Janek could've guided them back to the entrance and they could've waited it out there.

The greenhorn lieutenant in Aliens could read a 2D map okay.  His interpretation was a bit off, but that's by the by.

Yeah but I think by the time they actually realize that they are lost, its too late. Making the map worthless.

That's how I remember it at least. They just go babbling off thinking they are heading back to the ship.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Blacklabel on Jan 01, 2013, 04:43:34 AM
Spaihts script has him freaking out and losing the map.

"insert rant on why didnt ridley put that scene in the film"

sigh.
They could've just thrown a single damn line of dialogue to lampshade the problem and be done with it.

SM

SM

QuoteYeah but I think by the time they actually realize that they are lost, its too late. Making the map worthless.

They wanted out of the structure - the map could've lead them to the exit, where they can wait for the storm to stop.

Instead they wander around and ultimately die.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: SM on Jan 01, 2013, 05:23:09 AM
QuoteYeah but I think by the time they actually realize that they are lost, its too late. Making the map worthless.

They wanted out of the structure - the map could've lead them to the exit, where they can wait for the storm to stop.

Instead they wander around and ultimately die.

This is true, that didn't really bother me that much, worse that they end up camping in the very spot that freaked them out in the first place...    :D

Darth Vile

Quote from: SiL on Jan 01, 2013, 04:32:45 AM
Fifield was the one leading people in the first place. He had the pup information on his wrist.

It's a plot hole.
That isn't a plot hole. Fifield was following the pups on a devise we never got to see in the film. The pups had come to a halt. For all we know it was akin to a sat nav with no clear exits or entry points indicated. Them getting lost is certainly a convenience, perhaps even lazy writing... but it's not a plot hole.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Darth Vile on Jan 01, 2013, 08:30:47 AM
Fifield was following the pups on a devise we never got to see in the film. The pups had come to a halt. For all we know it was akin to a sat nav with no clear exits or entry points indicated.
It is a plot hole when you establish "This guy is directly connected with the mapping software" and then later, with no explanation, "This guy is lost". There should have been something, anything, to bridge those two facts -- as I said, a simple line of dialogue would have done it. But we don't have that. We have a guy with mapping software getting lost for no clear reason.

We can come up with reasons on our own till the cow comes home, however plausible; but the film itself doesn't actually give us anything solid to fill the gap with.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed