In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,426,695 times)

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: Pvt. Himmel on Jan 30, 2017, 11:33:43 PM
Its a Dark day in the history of all you Whoovians!!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/peter-capaldi-stepping-down-as-doctor-who-970263     

Seems like he only started the other day. The ratings have been down a bit, I wonder if that's had something to do with this.

I stopped watching last season, but I don't care who replaces him, it's the writing that bugs me. Might tune back in if/when Steven Moffat goes.

D. Compton Ambrose

D. Compton Ambrose

Trump ban is boon for ISIS recruitment, former jihadists and experts say

"It can play into their propaganda, to make it clear for anyone who could be in doubt, that it's a war on Islam and all Muslims," Abdullah told CNN over a messaging service.

"[Trump's] helped ISIS a lot, he's basically being a tool for them in a way," Abu Obaida, a British former Jabhat al-Nusra fighter in Syria, told CNN via direct message. "On social media right now there's a lot of people quoting Anwar al-Awlaki (the late spokesperson for al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula) and his last speech when he said that America will turn on the Muslims."

"By banning Muslims, lumping them with radical Islamism, Donald Trump provides ammunition and motivation for al Qaeda and ISIS," said Fawaz Gerges, chairman of contemporary Middle East studies at the London School of Economics and author of "ISIS: A History."

"The policy can easily be interpreted, and is being interpreted, as a ban against Muslims," Gerges said. "If you are serious about defeating ISIS, the last thing you want to do is portray the fight as Islam vs. the West."

"This isn't an isolated policy. Moving the embassy to Jerusalem. Calls for bringing back torture. All of these in combination amplify the rhetoric," Watts said. "Not only are we increasing recruitment, but we're making it harder for our partners around the world to fight with us against terrorism."

Color me shocked... ::)

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Wrong thread man, keep the political stuff in the politics thread.

In any case this may be our oldest known ancestor...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/30/health/earliest-human-ancestor-deuterostome-saccorhytus-history-study/index.html

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Vertigo on Jan 31, 2017, 04:56:35 AM
Quote from: Pvt. Himmel on Jan 30, 2017, 11:33:43 PM
Its a Dark day in the history of all you Whoovians!!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/peter-capaldi-stepping-down-as-doctor-who-970263     

Seems like he only started the other day. The ratings have been down a bit, I wonder if that's had something to do with this.

I stopped watching last season, but I don't care who replaces him, it's the writing that bugs me. Might tune back in if/when Steven Moffat goes.

I stopped watching when Capaldi came on, or his second season, I can't quite remember. I just remember getting really bored of the show and haven't picked it up since.

Pvt. Himmel

Pvt. Himmel

Security Guard Kills Grandfather Playing 'Pokemon Go' in Car.

http://www.thewrap.com/pokemon-go-shooting-grandfather-security-guard/

Local Trouble

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

Tom Brady and the New England Patriots pull off the largest comeback in Super Bowl history, including bringing home the QB's 4th SB MVP award. What a game!

Gate

Gate

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Feb 06, 2017, 05:13:27 AM
Tom Brady and the New England Patriots pull off the largest comeback in Super Bowl history, including bringing home the QB's 4th SB MVP award. What a game!

Pvt. Himmel

Pvt. Himmel

Judy Garland Was Sexually Harassed by Munchkins on Set of 'Wizard of Oz,' Ex-Husband Claims!!

Quote"They would make Judy's life miserable on set by putting their hands under her dress ... The men were 40 or more years old," Sid Luft wrote in new, posthumous memoir titled "Judy and I: My Life with Judy Garland."

"They thought they could get away with anything because they were so small," he said.

http://www.thewrap.com/judy-garland-sexually-harassed-by-munchkins-on-set-of-wizard-of-oz-ex-husband-claims/

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

I was always suspicious about how Mayor Munchkin eyed up Dorothy.

Pvt. Himmel

Shinawi

Shinawi

This isn't being mentioned on the news outside of Korea yet. The news broadcasts in South Korea said that the half-brother of the leader of North Korea was assassinated in Malaysia. A witness said that two women stuck a poison at him and fled via taxi. People think that the two women could be North Korean agents. There are rumours that China wanted to make the half-brother as the leader of North Korea if the North Korean government collapses. The half-brother wanted to open up North Korea. Earlier, (I think it was last month if I remember correctly) a high ranking North Korean official defected to South Korea. He said that the North Korean government might crumble soon. (I don't know how soon). People are thinking that something big will happen in North Korea.

Trump and Mattis confirmed the U.S.'s alliance with South Korea. Contrary to what Trump claimed when he was running for president, South Korea already pays a large portion for the U.S. bases in South Korea. South Korea is geographically very important and has a strong military, which South Korea pays 100%.

North Korea fired a ballistic missile recently.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/north-korea-reportedly-test-fires-missile-challenging-us-053724889.html;_ylt=AwrSbgFc9qJYdEoA2FpXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyOHZwdDduBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjMyMzdfMQRzZWMDc2M-
QuoteUN Security Council meeting sought over NKorea missile test

PYONGYANG, North Korea (AP) — The United States, Japan and South Korea have requested urgent diplomatic talks at the United Nations on Monday over North Korea's latest ballistic missile launch, with Seoul condemning what it called "serious military and security threats" and predicting more such tests.

A spokesman for the U.S. Mission to the United Nations said Sunday night that the meeting is expected to take place Monday. The spokesman spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly.

The U.N. Mission for Ukraine, which holds the rotating Security Council presidency, later confirmed that closed consultations on North Korea will take place late Monday afternoon.

The banned missile test is seen as an implicit challenge to U.S. President Donald Trump, who has vowed a tough line on Pyongyang but has yet to release a strategy for dealing with a country whose nuclear ambitions have bedeviled U.S. leaders for decades.

North Korean state media said leader Kim Jong Un was at the site to observe the launch and expressed pleasure at the North's expansion of its strategic strike capabilities.

"These are serious military and security threats," Jeong Joon-hee, spokesman at the Ministry of Unification, told reporters. "Pyongyang has no intention of backing away from its goal to become a country with nuclear weapons."

A report on the launch carried early Monday by the North's Korean Central News Agency said Kim watched from an observation post and gave the order to fire the "Pukguksong-2," which it said was a "Korean style new type strategic weapon system."

It is believed to have flown about 500 kilometers (310 miles) before splashing down into the ocean in international waters.

The report said the test proved "the reliability and security" of a new mobile launching system, the solid fuel that was used and the guidance and control features of the ballistic missile. Solid fuel can give missiles longer range and make detecting them before launch more difficult because they can be readied faster than liquid fuel missiles.

The report also said the test verified control and guidance capabilities and said the missile can be "tipped with a nuclear warhead."

It suggested the launch conducted in a "lofted" style, which puts the missile into a high trajectory rather than a lower one that gives it more range, in order take "the security of the neighboring countries into consideration."

It added Kim "expressed great satisfaction over the possession of another powerful nuclear attack means."

"Now our rocket industry has radically turned into high thrust solid fuel-powered engine from liquid fuel rocket engine and rapidly developed into a development- and creation-oriented industry, not just copying samples," he said. "Thanks to the development of the new strategic weapon system, our People's Army is capable of performing its strategic duties most accurately and rapidly in any space: under waters or on the land."

North Korea had warned it was ready to test its first intercontinental ballistic missile. The U.S. Strategic Command, however, said it detected and tracked what it assessed to be a medium- or intermediate-range missile. The reports of the launch came as Trump was hosting Abe and just days before the North is to mark the birthday of leader Kim Jong Un's late father, Kim Jong Il.

After receiving word of the launch, Trump stood at his south Florida estate with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, who called the move "intolerable."

Appearing with Trump at a news conference at Trump's estate, Abe condemned the missile launch as "absolutely intolerable." He read a brief statement calling on the North to comply fully with relevant U.N. Security Council resolutions. He said Trump had assured him of U.S. support and that Trump's presence showed the president's determination and commitment.

Trump followed Abe with even fewer words, saying in part: "I just want everybody to understand and fully know that the United States of America stands behind Japan, its great ally, 100 percent."

Stephen Miller, Trump's chief policy adviser, said Trump and Abe had displayed "an important show of solidarity" between their nations.

"The message we're sending to the world right now is a message of strength and solidarity; we stand with Japan and we stand with our allies in the region to address the North Korean menace," Miller said during an interview Sunday with ABC's "This Week."

Ropley

Ropley

Quote from: LCpl. D. Grant on Jan 31, 2017, 08:09:37 AM
Trump ban is boon for ISIS recruitment, former jihadists and experts say

"It can play into their propaganda, to make it clear for anyone who could be in doubt, that it's a war on Islam and all Muslims," Abdullah told CNN over a messaging service.

"[Trump's] helped ISIS a lot, he's basically being a tool for them in a way," Abu Obaida, a British former Jabhat al-Nusra fighter in Syria, told CNN via direct message. "On social media right now there's a lot of people quoting Anwar al-Awlaki (the late spokesperson for al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula) and his last speech when he said that America will turn on the Muslims."

"By banning Muslims, lumping them with radical Islamism, Donald Trump provides ammunition and motivation for al Qaeda and ISIS," said Fawaz Gerges, chairman of contemporary Middle East studies at the London School of Economics and author of "ISIS: A History."

"The policy can easily be interpreted, and is being interpreted, as a ban against Muslims," Gerges said. "If you are serious about defeating ISIS, the last thing you want to do is portray the fight as Islam vs. the West."

"This isn't an isolated policy. Moving the embassy to Jerusalem. Calls for bringing back torture. All of these in combination amplify the rhetoric," Watts said. "Not only are we increasing recruitment, but we're making it harder for our partners around the world to fight with us against terrorism."

Color me shocked... ::)

These people hate us cause we are infidels learn about the Islamic faith.

skhellter

skhellter

look who's talking.  :laugh:

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Aye, let's keep the stereotyping down please.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed