In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,416,612 times)

Hubbs

Hubbs

What do you all think of this Confederate flag business?

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/general-lee-from-dukes-of-hazzard-losing-its-122294326432.html

Myself, I think its all a bit silly and naive frankly. I think many people in the States are ignorant of their own countries history, so are you all banning the ability to talk about the civil war too? where does it end?

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I'm not clear on what exactly the problem is. Are they concerned the very presence of the flag fuels racist sentiments?

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: Gate on Jun 23, 2015, 11:14:41 PM
ISIS is really hurting many of its neighboring countries, but I watched VICE's documentary where a camera crew got inside of Iraq to film that made me understand why some people may be joining them. At least in the middle east, ISIS is attempting to establish a government with okay (but limited) social reformation. And the religious radicals over there are able to eat that shit up when its easy to say your brother was accidentally killed by a NATO drone.
My teacher who is from Syria said no one there likes them,he told me that every time ISIS gets near his family town everyone flees from them he told everyone there is SCARED of ISIS and everyone there know they do not follow the true islam if you tell them that they will behead you(beheading is forbidden in islam) i asked him why people from different countries join ISIS he said they think they are want to become something you know someone with a gun maybe to escape unemployment or the propaganda that brainwashes them. I think that there should be a advert on the TV discouraging Muslims joining ISIS they could do this by blanking them out by using the verses of the quran that goes against ISIS beliefs and use the social media against them.

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jun 23, 2015, 11:58:15 PM
It's mental illness and a fear of being left behind. Sometimes it's easiest to just hurt others. That's ISIS.
Got a point.

Quote from: THE CITY HUNTER on Jun 24, 2015, 01:53:20 PM
Quote from: Gate on Jun 23, 2015, 11:14:41 PM
ISIS is really hurting many of its neighboring countries, but I watched VICE's documentary where a camera crew got inside of Iraq to film that made me understand why some people may be joining them. At least in the middle east, ISIS is attempting to establish a government with okay (but limited) social reformation. And the religious radicals over there are able to eat that shit up when its easy to say your brother was accidentally killed by a NATO drone.
My teacher who is from Syria said no one there likes them,he told me that every time ISIS gets near his family town everyone flees from them he told everyone there is SCARED of ISIS and everyone there know they do not follow the true islam if you tell them that they will behead you(beheading is forbidden in islam) i asked him why people from different countries join ISIS he said they think they are want to become something you know someone with a gun maybe to escape unemployment or the propaganda that brainwashes them. I think that there should be a advert on the TV discouraging Muslims joining ISIS they could do this by blanking them out by using the verses of the quran that goes against ISIS beliefs and use the social media against ISIS.

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jun 23, 2015, 11:58:15 PM
It's mental illness and a fear of being left behind. Sometimes it's easiest to just hurt others. That's ISIS.
Got a point.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 24, 2015, 01:25:34 PM
I'm not clear on what exactly the problem is. Are they concerned the very presence of the flag fuels racist sentiments?

Yes, pretty much, but the recent shootings have fueled the need to remove it even more.

I have since read that most stores in America will not sell anything with the flag on it ::) hence my 'General Lee' link. Does that mean The Dukes of Hazzard is now going to be banned in the US?

I understand what people are saying, but again I think many folk in the US are unaware of their own countries history and this has become a hysteria of sorts. The south weren't the 'baddies' in the civil war.

Look at this sh*t...
http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/warner-bros-bans-dukes-of-hazzard-car-with-confederate-flag-20150624

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Well the south was in favour of keeping slavery so to me at least, they were the baddies.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 24, 2015, 04:25:20 PM
Well the south was in favour of keeping slavery so to me at least, they were the baddies.

Dude everyone had slaves including the North.

http://www.rulen.com/myths/

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

And I never said they didn't.

Gate

Gate

Quote from: Hubbs on Jun 24, 2015, 04:52:44 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 24, 2015, 04:25:20 PM

Dude everyone had slaves including the North.

http://www.rulen.com/myths/
Hahahaha good old Hubbs is buying into Confederate revisionism. That site's full of shit :D :D :D

http://www.rulen.com/ That is this shit? Nothing to do with history.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

From my perspective the south is the baddie.

The confederate flag was invented on one principle: that all men were -not- created equal. It has no damn place in today's world.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jun 24, 2015, 09:58:40 PM
From my perspective the south is the baddie.

The confederate flag was invented on one principle: that all men were -not- created equal. It has no damn place in today's world.

Both sides were just as bad as each other, seeing the south as baddies is just movie spiel. The Civil War wasn't even completely about slavery, and the emancipation proclamation only freed slaves in southern States, not Northern ones or where ever, I believe.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Here we go, this is now becoming totally ridiculous as I knew it would. Apple have removed ALL Civil War games from their app store because of the Confederate flag hysteria.

http://toucharcade.com/2015/06/25/apple-removes-confederate-flag/

http://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/the-confederate-flag-is-garbage-but-apple-shouldnt-ban-1713894357

Police officer sacked for wearing Confederate boxer shorts??!! Really?!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/north-charleston-sgt-shannon-dildine-fired-wearing-confederate/story?id=32038900

BBC tonight has reported the black communities in the south now want the Confederate flag completely banned altogether. That means no one would be allowed to fly it, show it, use it for anything, gone. The PC brigade are actually trying to erase your history America.

How long before movies are banned? TV shows? (they have already banned the Dukes of Hazzard car), books? music covers (lynyrd skynyrd etc...) etc...

This all takes the biscuit, its basically extremism of the left and just as bad as extremism on the right. No good is gonna come of this, many folk in the south will rebel and fly the flag everywhere I'm sure. This in-turn will cause lots of disputes, probable vandalism of peoples property and attacks, and eventually probably more shootings and a huge load of grief on both sides.

What's utterly ridiculous is the fact everyone is trying to ban a flag when they should be trying to ban guns!!. If they put this much effort into trying to ban guns instead of a flag then who knows what could be achieved.

This entire debacle is a very worrying trend in this day and age, the banhammer is getting whipped out far too fast! How will this affect how history is now taught? is history going to twisted and played with? I agree that the flag should come down from government buildings, but it should not be banned outright, people should have the right of choice, nor should companies ban the selling of it. That is not democracy, that is extreme liberalism taking control of peoples lives completely.

Gate

Gate

It will affect how history is being taught in a positive way. We won't have the bullshit revisionism in high schools that tries to disassociate the slave debate and its importance in the south. Maybe you don't realize it but we already have some crap in our textbooks that won't even match up with the same thing taught in California and New York. The South, thanks to the Daughters of the Confederacy, will forever be "remembered" due to the brainwashed youth.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Quote from: Gate on Jun 26, 2015, 05:03:34 AM
It will affect how history is being taught in a positive way. We won't have the bullshit revisionism in high schools that tries to disassociate the slave debate and its importance in the south. Maybe you don't realize it but we already have some crap in our textbooks that won't even match up with the same thing taught in California and New York. The South, thanks to the Daughters of the Confederacy, will forever be "remembered" due to the brainwashed youth.

You know, I do agree with you...to a degree, I'm quite sure there are issues with different views, but the Civil War wasn't quite as clear cut as most think lets be honest.

But...I ask you, banning the car from the Dukes of Hazzard?! withdrawing ALL games that show the Confederate flag?? sacking a police officer because he took a pic of himself wearing Confederate boxer shorts???!!!

Do these things seem sensible/logical to you? seriously, doesn't this look like a dodgy slippery path to you? Not having a go I am being serious, its exactly the same scenario as banning violent videogames or films even.

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

I don't think they realize that it's never really going to go away down here. They'll get it removed from public property and most retailers for sure..but someone's going to keep selling the Confederate flag, and people are going to keep buying it. Hell, sales of Confederate flag merchandise has actually gone up now that they're pulling it from major retailers.

Shit, I was riding home from Atlanta the other day and saw a sign for a club called the Sons of the Confederacy. And people think it's just going to go away cause Walmart and Amazon say so? Don't count on it. I know how the people think here. They'll laugh and buy more Confederate stuff out of spite.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

It shouldn't be banned, freedom of speech and all. However it should in no way be indorsed by any governmental body or institution with any sense of common decency.

Flying it does make you a racist though. That is the problem with the flag. It's all about racism.

edit: didn't this whole confederate flag business only start in the early 90's? What crack pot shoved this relic up the flag pole?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed