In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,417,964 times)

Hubbs

Hubbs

Quote from: Eva on Oct 25, 2014, 10:49:44 AM
The really frightening thing is how the current economic crisis is making nationalist parties across Europe stronger, parties with nothing to offer but populist, hateful propaganda and absolutely no realistic solutions to solve anything. Then again, the ruling social democratic and conservative parties have no one else to thank (and blame) for this development than themselves. :-\

As you say, no one to blame but themselves. Constant lying and avoiding of issues has caused people to look to UKIP. Cameron promised a cut on immigration under his leadership and its risen! The UK infrastructure is falling apart because it cannot handle the increase in people yet no one seems to want to admit that...until its too late and we lose the NHS or something. You can't judge the UK from wandering around Westminster which is all nice and pretty for the tourists.

The reason why the EU isn't working anymore (for certain countries) is because its grown bigger including many poorer countries which the larger countries (mainly the UK, France and Germany) have to subsidise and bail out. And the reason most other EU countries don't understand why the UK is having problems and moaning is because the free movement of people (EU law), is basically the free movement of people...into the UK...and nowhere else. Basically the UK is being crapped on and abused by everybody and the EU simply looks the other way. Its basically the attitude of...I'm alright Jack, most Euro countries don't care because they are OK, Barroso doesn't care because nothing is affecting him or his country.

This is virtually EU bullying...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29769726

Aspie

Aspie

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iran/11187496/Iran-hangs-woman-despite-international-campaign.html

QuoteAmnesty International denounced "another bloody stain" on Iran's human rights record on Saturday when a 26-year-old woman was executed for allegedly killing a man who she said was intent on rape.

Shasvre

Shasvre

I just signed a protest list against that. :-\

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: Eva on Oct 25, 2014, 10:14:26 AM
How many jobs would it cost the UK to leave the EU? 2 million? 3 million?

How do you figure that? Genuine question, not being sarky or anything.

The EU bills are insane on a number of levels. Britain's just the tip of the iceberg - Greece and Italy have to pay bills of £70m and £270m, two countries that've been hovering around being stone broke since 2008, whereas France and Germany receive money (the most money, actually). GERMANY. One of the strongest economies on the planet.
Germany being subsidised by Greece. I can't begin to understand this.

And accounting for 19 years of financial change over just five weeks (after which multi-million monthly fines are imposed) makes the whole thing insulting as well as nuts. Given that anti-EU sentiment has been brewing around Europe (and probably nowhere stronger than in Britain, the country given by far the biggest bill), this is the worst possible timing, and executed in the worst possible manner. It's the best ammunition UKIP could possibly ask for.

On the other hand, it might force the hands of the major parties, and come up with strategies to lower the country's EU connection, which could steal some voters back from UKIP.

Eva

Eva

Roughly half of The UKs trade is with other EU nations. It doesn't take a professor in economics to figure out what happens to British exports, if they decide to leave the EU and thereby direct access to the EU markets (+400 million consumers).

I believe that any chances that UK politicians can negotiate a deal with other EU leaders, granting them same-level access to EU markets as before without being a contributing member (the 'Swiss/Norwegian model'), is absolutely zero. That's simply the political reality. Instead, UK based companies will start migrating to other EU nations to keep their direct access to these markets and workplaces, tax payments and economic growth will follow these companies out of the UK. And the other EU nations will gladly accept them.

Besides, UKs financial woes started long before the 2008 crisis. Long before the Polish took over the plumbing industry and became an easy scapegoat for a lack of economic and political reforms.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Yall should just join-Merica. 

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Why go to America when there are Americans that want to go to Canada's more sound economy and it's free health care?

And we're nice folk too, speaking of which...

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/residents-of-alberta-city-come-together-to-clean-up-vandalized-mosque/ar-BBaYdgF?ocid=ASUDHP

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: Eva on Oct 25, 2014, 05:59:47 PMI believe that any chances that UK politicians can negotiate a deal with other EU leaders, granting them same-level access to EU markets as before without being a contributing member (the 'Swiss/Norwegian model'), is absolutely zero. That's simply the political reality. Instead, UK based companies will start migrating to other EU nations to keep their direct access to these markets and workplaces, tax payments and economic growth will follow these companies out of the UK. And the other EU nations will gladly accept them.

So it's an all-out or all-in scenario?

Spoiler
(I really should know all this myself)
[close]

tavianini19

tavianini19

Oh my god. There was a fatal shooting really close to my job yesterday. It was like a quarter mile a way. Holy f**k.

http://www.news10.net/story/news/local/arden-lariviera/2014/10/24/police-responding-to-report-of-officer-down-in-arden-area/17837335/

Ok so apparently a man went on a rampage with an AR-15 rifle, killing two cops, injuring another two, and putting a civilian in critical condition.

SM

SM

US seems to have stepped up public shootings to show they're still number 1 after that thing in Canada.

tavianini19

tavianini19

Yeah. Didn't expect one here in the hometown, but then again, nobody does.

Vickers

Vickers

Quote from: SM on Oct 25, 2014, 09:10:53 PM
US seems to have stepped up public shootings to show they're still number 1 after that thing in Canada.

:laugh:

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

do yall even third world bro?

Rong

Rong

Come on now kimmy we all know that doesn't count

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Vertigo on Oct 25, 2014, 07:32:37 PM
So it's an all-out or all-in scenario?

Spoiler
(I really should know all this myself)
[close]

I don't think you can present it like that. What I'm saying is, that if Cameron is preparing the British population on a possible referendum on the issue (if he's re-elected) under the guise that they can negotiate a much better deal for Britain with Merkel, Sarkozy etc., then the man is an even bigger fool than I originally thought. The other European leaders will not get a mandate from their respective parliaments to just give Britain a free pass. Not a chance in Hell. The EU would collapse if they did, because then everybody wants to re-negotiate their terms.

With that promise of a referendum, he might have put things in motion he can't possibly control. He doesn't really want a referendum and he certainly doesn't want Britain to part from the EU. And yet it seems he is painting himself into a corner, making very anti-EU comments like the ones a few days ago, ultimately paving the way for the real anti-EU lobby that really wants Britain to leave, like UKIP.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed