In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,418,095 times)

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 08, 2014, 10:10:51 PM
I have gotten to the point I want to go Samuel L Jackson on Cal when he uses wut.
wut. I don't understand the reference.

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Cal427eb on Sep 08, 2014, 10:13:13 PM
I have gotten to the point I want to go Samuel L Jackson on Cal when he uses wut.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtXF2j5JAds#

Cvalda

Cvalda

Sweet, simple, ignorant Cal.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: Cvalda on Sep 08, 2014, 10:20:47 PM
Sweet, simple, ignorant Cal.
Or perhaps I was just feigning my ignorance?

First Blood

First Blood

Lies.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Oh...

Quote from: Cal427eb on Sep 16, 2013, 12:00:44 AM
Alien
End of Evangelion
Pulp Fiction
Return of the King
(Just above Fellowship and the Two Towers)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Sep 13, 2013, 12:46:51 AM
-The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (I know, three movies...)
-Alien
-The End of Evangelion
Oh, hi.

Blacklabel

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Cal427eb on Sep 08, 2014, 10:21:27 PM
Or perhaps I was just feigning my ignorance?
You can't feign what you naturally are.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Quote from: Eva on Sep 07, 2014, 04:45:18 PM
Jack the Ripper's true identity finally revealed

It appears that a UK businessman and a DNA scientist have finally unmasked the notorious Whitechapel serial killer, with a bit of clever detective work and modern forensic science. If this holds up to scrutiny, expect a hailstorm of new movies/tv-series/documentaries to bring the grisly murders into the spotlight again.

Its kinda weird that no one has ever done DNA testing on that blood stained item of clothing before...have they? Seems pretty obvious no.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: Hubbs on Sep 09, 2014, 05:10:19 AM
Quote from: Eva on Sep 07, 2014, 04:45:18 PM
Jack the Ripper's true identity finally revealed

It appears that a UK businessman and a DNA scientist have finally unmasked the notorious Whitechapel serial killer, with a bit of clever detective work and modern forensic science. If this holds up to scrutiny, expect a hailstorm of new movies/tv-series/documentaries to bring the grisly murders into the spotlight again.

Its kinda weird that no one has ever done DNA testing on that blood stained item of clothing before...have they? Seems pretty obvious no.

Might seem strange, but it says right there in the article that it was pretty much dismissed as evidence when it was brought to everyone's attention years ago.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

Regarding our man Jack -
QuoteThis is so misleading that it is frankly a lie.

First of all, "Scientists" haven't solved anything except determined the results of a DNA test—matching a still-living descendent of the sister of a mental patient with a 126-year-old semen stain on the shawl of a single woman thought to be killed by the Ripper.
•The idea that they could have a "100% match" is highly tenuous at best; siblingship is a tricky thing to discover through DNA to begin with, and vastly more so when you take into account that they're testing the descendent of a sibling. There's a reason that whenever possible, geneticists prefer to test a parent as well as a sibling, given how many DNA loci are recombined to form a sibling's DNA. They also "matched" the shawl's owner's bloodstain to her "three-times great-granddaughter," proving again a "100% match."
•The DNA evidence has not been independently verified by any authorities.
•The shawl itself, the one and only piece of physical evidence, has not been independently verified. It "is thought" to have been part of the case.
•The lead detective on the case is not a detective. He is a self-proclaimed "armchair detective" and history nut.
•He is selling a book about this. It doesn't take an "armchair detective" to realize that a book about looking for Jack the Ripper's identity is not going to turn a profit without showing "conclusive proof" that they've found the killer.
•His only other proof is the fact that Kosminski was recorded as a suspect in the 1800s by the police, who were notedly anti-Semetic (Kosminski was a Polish Jew).
•This "study," if it can even be called that when the information was clearly biased, was reported in the Daily Mail and the Mirror, not exactly shining bastions of journalism. Look for it to be discredited very soon. I'm betting Cracked's "B.S. News Stories that Fooled Your Facebook Friends" gets there within a week.
•The apparently brilliant scientist that has pioneered this new DNA matching technology, Dr. Jari Louhelainen, is hardly a standout in his field. He is not decorated, has received no awards or fellowships that I've been able to find, and is a professor at a college that has turned out only one notable alumnus in the scientific field, ever (and she is an astrophysicist).
•Even if the shawl and its two spots of purported DNA were not obviously of over-inflated importance (and if they could be verified), that is far from saying the mystery of Jack the Ripper is solved. All that would be in today's courtroom is a single piece of circumstantial evidence for ONE of five serial murders.

IN SUMMATION.
1.The newspaper that reported this is a tabloid.
2.The "detective" is an amateur with a book to sell.
3.The "scientist" is a lecturer at a new university in England that focuses on sports.
4.The "evidence" is over-hyped and far from conclusive.
5.The "evidence" only points to Kosminski for ONE murder out of five.

This is not research. This is sensationalism. The mystery of Jack the Ripper is far from solved.

http://daphneontherun.tumblr.com/post/96921889428/historical-nonfiction-micdotcom-whoa
(yeah yeah tumblr blahblah)

Eva

Eva

Yeah, there's a reliable source of criticisms if I ever saw one. 'What do some fancy pants Ph.D in molecular epidemiology and expert in the field of medical genetics know about dna matching anyway that I don't, right?' :D

Aspie

Aspie

Quote from: Gilfryd on Sep 09, 2014, 06:27:57 PM
Regarding our man Jack -
QuoteThis is so misleading that it is frankly a lie.

First of all, "Scientists" haven't solved anything except determined the results of a DNA test—matching a still-living descendent of the sister of a mental patient with a 126-year-old semen stain on the shawl of a single woman thought to be killed by the Ripper.
•The idea that they could have a "100% match" is highly tenuous at best; siblingship is a tricky thing to discover through DNA to begin with, and vastly more so when you take into account that they're testing the descendent of a sibling. There's a reason that whenever possible, geneticists prefer to test a parent as well as a sibling, given how many DNA loci are recombined to form a sibling's DNA. They also "matched" the shawl's owner's bloodstain to her "three-times great-granddaughter," proving again a "100% match."
•The DNA evidence has not been independently verified by any authorities.
•The shawl itself, the one and only piece of physical evidence, has not been independently verified. It "is thought" to have been part of the case.
•The lead detective on the case is not a detective. He is a self-proclaimed "armchair detective" and history nut.
•He is selling a book about this. It doesn't take an "armchair detective" to realize that a book about looking for Jack the Ripper's identity is not going to turn a profit without showing "conclusive proof" that they've found the killer.
•His only other proof is the fact that Kosminski was recorded as a suspect in the 1800s by the police, who were notedly anti-Semetic (Kosminski was a Polish Jew).
•This "study," if it can even be called that when the information was clearly biased, was reported in the Daily Mail and the Mirror, not exactly shining bastions of journalism. Look for it to be discredited very soon. I'm betting Cracked's "B.S. News Stories that Fooled Your Facebook Friends" gets there within a week.
•The apparently brilliant scientist that has pioneered this new DNA matching technology, Dr. Jari Louhelainen, is hardly a standout in his field. He is not decorated, has received no awards or fellowships that I've been able to find, and is a professor at a college that has turned out only one notable alumnus in the scientific field, ever (and she is an astrophysicist).
•Even if the shawl and its two spots of purported DNA were not obviously of over-inflated importance (and if they could be verified), that is far from saying the mystery of Jack the Ripper is solved. All that would be in today's courtroom is a single piece of circumstantial evidence for ONE of five serial murders.

IN SUMMATION.
1.The newspaper that reported this is a tabloid.
2.The "detective" is an amateur with a book to sell.
3.The "scientist" is a lecturer at a new university in England that focuses on sports.
4.The "evidence" is over-hyped and far from conclusive.
5.The "evidence" only points to Kosminski for ONE murder out of five.

This is not research. This is sensationalism. The mystery of Jack the Ripper is far from solved.

http://daphneontherun.tumblr.com/post/96921889428/historical-nonfiction-micdotcom-whoa
(yeah yeah tumblr blahblah)

pretty much yeah

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Good.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed