In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,418,242 times)

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Even in Africa itself the scale of Ebola can't even compare at all to the scale of a real pandemic called AIDS. Globally in 2010 1.8 million people died from AIDS, down from the 2.5 million that died in 2005. Ebola on the other hand there and has never been more than 1,000 cases per year from 1979 to 2013, and that's cases.

SM

SM

I've read that Ebola 'burns out' pretty quickly once symptoms show up.  If there's an outbreak in some remote village, anyone who contracts it is more often than not, dead - and so is the disease itself - by the time help arrives.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Was thinking that before, was thinking if an African with Ebola came to the U.K, and in the case he died, the virus would more likely die with him than spread.

Was looking at this chart meanwhile.

Can think of ways the chart can be improved perhaps, but it paints enough of a picture that you get the idea.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Stop pissing all over Hubbs's paranoid racist conspiracy virus fantasies! >:(

Vickers

Vickers

Quote from: Cvalda on Aug 04, 2014, 03:00:24 AM
And then just to the left of that article...
Cops: Teen Girl Raped in Front of Huge Crowd at Keith Urban Show
http://gawker.com/cops-teen-girl-raped-in-front-of-huge-crowd-at-keith-u-1613889133

QuoteA teen girl was raped on the lawn at a Keith Urban show in Mansfield, Massachusetts this weekend in front of multiple witnesses, according to police. After fleeing the scene, suspect Sean Murphy, 18, was arrested and charged with rape.

According to CNN, the victim was 17 years old. Murphy allegedly led her away from her friends and began having sex with her while a crowd gathered to videotape it with their phones.

That's disgusting. Ugh.

And this kind of behaviour happens more often than you would think. A friend who is a teacher abroad said that a group of guys in the school she works at gathered around in one of the school restrooms as a guy was having sex with a female classmate. While the sex may have been consented to, I'm sure she wasn't expecting it to turn into a show with the guy's friends gathering around. A photo was uploaded to Facebook where nothing graphic was shown but you could still get the general idea and see the faces of the pigs involved (in the restroom mirror). At the time I was told about this, nothing was done from Facebook's side to remove the reported photo.

SM

SM

Quote from: Cvalda on Aug 04, 2014, 07:42:43 AM

Like facts will make any difference.

Hubbs

Hubbs

I still don't quite understand how its racist, its racist to check all Africans coming off a plane from an Ebola infected area?? that would include anyone else too of course you realise. Would it help if we checked all the planes not coming from Africa? would that make it all better for you? just so it looks better and not too racist -_-

http://rt.com/uk/176980-ebola-virus-threat-uk/

The reason for all this is because we have such a high rate of people from Africa coming in all the time.

SM

SM

Quoteits racist to check all Africans coming off a plane from an Ebola infected area??

If you're just singling out Africans from an Ebola affected area - yes it's racist.

Another article asking how much of a threat it is in the 'west'.  Short version - not overly.  Poverty and lack of resources make it more dangerous in places like west Africa.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Quote from: SM on Aug 04, 2014, 08:41:48 AM
Quoteits racist to check all Africans coming off a plane from an Ebola infected area??

If you're just singling out Africans from an Ebola affected area - yes it's racist.

Another article asking how much of a threat it is in the 'west'.  Short version - not overly.  Poverty and lack of resources make it more dangerous in places like west Africa.

Errm but on a flight from say...Ghana, most of the people on board will probably be Ghanaian African. Its not really the same as an international flight from say...New York which will have people from all over, not always of course but generally.

Plus...
Quote from: Hubbs on Aug 04, 2014, 08:26:48 AM

I still don't quite understand how its racist, its racist to check all Africans coming off a plane from an Ebola infected area?? that would include anyone else too of course you realise. Would it help if we checked all the planes not coming from Africa? would that make it all better for you? just so it looks better and not too racist -_-

http://rt.com/uk/176980-ebola-virus-threat-uk/

The reason for all this is because we have such a high rate of people from Africa coming in all the time.

Anyone one the plane including crew.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Oh man the guys not racist. He just made a snap judgement on the situation. However what if this was a more serious threat? I bet a lot of you would also make the same snap judgement. This is a serious matter. Ebola has no cure or effective treatment and it does pose a significant threat to public health if it were to become transmissible by other means. Isn't this the first time scientist believe the ebola virus spread through the air?

Cvalda

Cvalda

No. It's not hard to google these things for yourself, you know.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

I suppose I don't trust google's random internet opinions as much as you do. :P

SM

SM

QuoteErrm but on a flight from say...Ghana, most of the people on board will probably be Ghanaian African.

The current outbreak is confined to Sierra Leone, Liberia, Nigeria and Guinea - so no problem with anyone coming from Ghana.

And even if someone was coming from Nigeria, for example - unless they've been in an affected area, no need to screen them.  Screening everyone from every flight is ludicrously unrealistic.

QuoteEbola has no cure or effective treatment and it does pose a significant threat to public health if it were to become transmissible by other means.

Eh?  Over a third of people who get it, survive.

Someone else allergic to facts....

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: whiterabbit on Aug 04, 2014, 09:08:58 AM
Yet you seem to trust stuff posted on an Alien vs Predator message board :laugh:

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: SM on Aug 04, 2014, 09:11:01 AM
Eh?  Over a third of people who get it, survive.

1/3 huh. That's good odds.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

I suppose the WHO is just one source but it appears to be worse than that.

QuoteEVD outbreaks have a case fatality rate of up to 90%.

Vaccine and treatment

No licensed vaccine for EVD is available. Several vaccines are being tested, but none are available for clinical use.

Severely ill patients require intensive supportive care. Patients are frequently dehydrated and require oral rehydration with solutions containing electrolytes or intravenous fluids.

No specific treatment is available. New drug therapies are being evaluated.
Quote from: Cvalda on Aug 04, 2014, 09:26:33 AM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Aug 04, 2014, 09:08:58 AM
Yet you seem to trust stuff posted on an Alien vs Predator message board :laugh:
Well why wouldn't I?  :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed