In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,418,032 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SM on Jul 07, 2014, 11:32:05 PM
QuoteHm, that's disconcerting. Does the music still have that sort of, "night time" feel, to it?

Depends what you mean by "night time" feel.

Well, one of the reasons I love WYWH so much is because it's the sort of album you can listen to on a long drive on the highway at nighttime (which is true for most of PF's work) or even while one is in a contemplative state. Does that make sense?

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Blacklabel on Jul 07, 2014, 11:33:22 PM
Best review ever of The Wall via All music. http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-wall-mw0000195292

QuoteRoger Waters constructed The Wall, a narcissistic, double-album rock opera about an emotionally crippled rock star who spits on an audience member daring to cheer during an acoustic song. Given its origins, it's little wonder that The Wall paints such an unsympathetic portrait of the rock star, cleverly named "Pink," who blames everyone -- particularly women -- for his neuroses. Such lyrical and thematic shortcomings may have been forgivable if the album had a killer batch of songs, but Waters took his operatic inclinations to heart, constructing the album as a series of fragments that are held together by larger numbers like "Comfortably Numb" and "Hey You." Generally, the fully developed songs are among the finest of Pink Floyd's later work, but The Wall is primarily a triumph of production: its seamless surface, blending melodic fragments and sound effects, makes the musical shortcomings and questionable lyrics easy to ignore. But if The Wall is examined in depth, it falls apart, since it doesn't offer enough great songs to support its ambition, and its self-serving message and shiny production seem like relics of the late-'70s Me Generation
And yet they still gave it a 9/10! :o ;D

Quote from: Blacklabel on Jul 07, 2014, 11:33:22 PM
Roger Waters masta race.
"Just rubbish ... nonsense from beginning to end." - Roger Waters, giving his opinion of The Division Bell
Truth ;D

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Allmusic used to have the rating as a 2/5 or 1/5, if i remember well... A floyd fan must have changed the rating long after the reviewer left.  :D

"Just rubbish ... nonsense from beginning to end." - Roger Waters, giving his opinion of The Division Bell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pros_and_Cons_of_Hitch_Hiking#Chart_positions
Dat butthurt! haha.

But then they reunited.. and it felt so good!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUYzQaCCt2o#ws

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Blacklabel on Jul 07, 2014, 11:51:10 PM
Allmusic used to have the rating as a 2/5, if i remember well... A floyd fan must have changed the rating long after the reviewer left.  :D
Nope  ;D

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

...........nnneeerrrrddddssss

SM

SM

Quote"Just rubbish ... nonsense from beginning to end." - Roger Waters, giving his opinion of The Division Bell

Dave's thoughts weren't a million miles away when it came to The Final Cut.

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 07, 2014, 11:36:21 PM
Quote from: SM on Jul 07, 2014, 11:32:05 PM
QuoteHm, that's disconcerting. Does the music still have that sort of, "night time" feel, to it?

Depends what you mean by "night time" feel.

Well, one of the reasons I love WYWH so much is because it's the sort of album you can listen to on a long drive on the highway at nighttime (which is true for most of PF's work) or even while one is in a contemplative state. Does that make sense?

Nothing after Animals has those long meandering instrumental pieces that you can get lost in.  There's odd bits here and there on subsequent albums, but if you're talking about the long meandering instrumentals, then Live At Pompeii, or the first album of Ummagumma.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

That sucks. Guess I'll give some of the newer stuff a listen on YouTube before spending any money.

SM

SM

The classic period of Meddle/ Dark Side/ WYWH/ Animals/ The Wall, was just that.  They couldn't maintain it once Rog fully took over and gave Rick the arse, and they couldn't recapture it when Dave took the reins.  But how many bands could?  None of the Beatles ever made anything on their own that could eclipse their work together.

The post-Wall stuff isn't bad - it's just not as good as some of the best albums ever made.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

"Something Something Dark of the moon" still their best album as far as i'm concerned.

Meanwhile.. THIS HAPPENED.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/gary-oldman-defends-mel-gibson-alec-baldwin-in-new-interview-20140624

Quote"Well, if I called Nancy Pelosi a c**t — and I'll go one better, a f**king useless c**t — I can't really say that," said Oldman. "But Bill Maher and Jon Stewart can, and nobody's going to stop them from working because of it. Bill Maher could call someone a fag and get away with it. He said to Seth MacFarlane this year, 'I thought you were going to do the Oscars again. Instead they got a lesbian.' He can say something like that. Is that more or less offensive than Alec Baldwin saying to someone in the street, 'You fag'? I don't get it."

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

lol music critics

WinterActual

Ghostface

Ghostface

How much did you pledge?

DoomRulz

Hubbs

Hubbs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28102403

Super Deutschland!! we're gonna win the World Cup! (maybe)

WinterActual

WinterActual

Quote from: Ghostface on Jul 09, 2014, 10:51:28 AM
How much did you pledge?

Why should I?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed