In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,427,579 times)

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 24, 2014, 11:25:56 AM
http://www.cracked.com/blog/3-ways-checking-your-privilege-never-fixed-anything/

Wow, that was one extraordinarily awkward, but must of all disingenuous article (blog post). Great find Doom!

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

So...you disagree with it. That's cool.

Sabby

Sabby

It's Cracked. They aren't that great at social commentary.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 24, 2014, 04:00:14 PM
So...you disagree with it. That's cool.

Of course I do. It is deceptive, dishonest and disingenuous.

BANE

BANE

Check your privilege mate.

Spoonman101

Spoonman101

Quote from: AliceApocalypse on Jun 24, 2014, 01:45:57 PM
Cool or creepy?

http://news.yahoo.com/woman-machine-robots-look-creepily-human-091317930--finance.html I bought one of those as a souvenir in Japan, it's on my balcony and I have no idea what to do with it...

QuoteIshiguro noted proudly how Japanese Internet company Softbank Corp. recently showed a robot named Pepper, which looks a little like C-3PO in "Star Wars," and will sell for less than 200,000 yen ($2,000).
Pepper's arrival means robots are increasingly becoming part of everyday life in Japan.
"Robots are now becoming affordable — no different from owning a laptop," said Ishiguro.

Creepy  :-X

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jun 24, 2014, 05:01:02 PM
How, exactly?

Gate

Gate

The "check your privilege" thing was a jokingly good concept but the way its thrown about has just become annoying.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Personally, I believe "check your privilege" to be as effective as "We all know..."

SiL

SiL

"Check your privilege" is a fine idea, but an asinine thing to actually tell someone during a conversation.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I would agree with that.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: SiL on Jun 24, 2014, 10:45:35 PM
Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jun 24, 2014, 05:01:02 PM
How, exactly?

To me this is pretty much the content of this seemingly benign article about the caustic use of the phrase "check your privilige" goes deeper than just that since this blogger chose to write a whole article about the phrase, ending up commenting on the use of the word privilege all together:

Political Correctness is bad and might be the main reason behind all our modern day socio-economic problems - it's standing in the way of true progress.....
Yeah, yeah, there are privileged, less priviliged, unprivileged and yada-yada schmiviliged people out there, but we shall also agree on that there is no difference in being privileged and unprivileged, so let's not bring it up altogether mm-ok, 'cause it'll just turn any discussion sour.....
Some People (note: 'some' sounds better than less privileged or unprivileged, and doesn't make it sound like there is a big problem here) should just suck it up and show endless patience, support and empathy to People In General (privileged people or people who identify/agree/empathize with the privileged and the ruling norm) - they should never let real-life experiences, history etc. get in the way when discussing things, because that makes one cynical, judgey and unreasonable.....
But when People In General (...) vent their dirty laundry, judge, assume and belittle Some People, not truly wanting to listen to or understand Some People, different rules apply. Naturally. If you don't approve, you're cynical, judgey and unreasonable, but most of all suffering from Political Correctness. So just let people be, man, and take those social studies and shove them up somewhere the sun doesn't shine.....
All people are different - unique individuals, no arguing about that So Let's just make sure all discussions end at that when talking about uncomfortable stuff like this, ok?.....

In other words, if you happen to be a person who is born pretty privileged (or identifies/agrees/empathizes) it is a-ok to make assumptions, be cynical and be vocal, telling people how they should feel, react and think because that is every (privileged) individual's birthright, and anyone who disagrees is a politically correct asshole. But if a less privileged or unprivileged person (or someone who identifies/agrees/empathizes) questions or disagrees, or even dares to mention privilege, it is a no-go no-starter. It is considered destructive and disruptive and the killer of any healthy discussion  of this nature and matter.

All of this delivered in a very respectable, "witty" and seemingly reasonable tone and manner. He could've just said that the phrase Check Your Privilige is not the right way to start or lead a discussion when talking about issues where privilege is of importance, but instead he elaborated and ended up in very different camp.

Quote from: SiL on Jun 25, 2014, 11:52:37 AM
"Check your privilege" is a fine idea, but an asinine thing to actually tell someone during a conversation.

This.

The writer didn't have to write a full article about this, getting all tangled up and sounding like a dick. The one-sentence paragraph in your post there would've been enough (spot on).

BANE

BANE

What are you even on about?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed