In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,417,758 times)

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 21, 2014, 03:45:56 AM
The trouble is that we're raised to believe that money is everything and if you aren't making a high amount, and you're somehow lacking in material wealth, then what's the point?
Yes, because paleontological courses and actual digs cost nothing and are super cheap and require no funding.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 21, 2014, 03:45:56 AM
Not everything is about money, dude. If you enjoy it, then go for it. The trouble is that we're raised to believe that money is everything and if you aren't making a high amount, and you're somehow lacking in material wealth, then what's the point? It's disgusting. China is a ripe country for paleontology.

niggas got to eat

Sabby

Sabby

Money isn't everything, but it's close to it. Hard to get anywhere in the modern world without money being involved.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

What really got me was this part:

QuoteBut others wondered about the resources given to a major with such little demand. "This is really too wasteful," one blogger said. Another asked if studying paleontology meant "researching Godzilla."
+
And one recounted a friend's response to his childhood dream of becoming a paleontologist, "Paleontology? What do you expect from squatting in the wild and digging all day long? Get some dinosaur bones and use them to make soup?"

Seriously, there's still ignorance about paleontology out there. Even my father, when I got into my teens, would ask me with great shock, "You're still interested in dinosaurs?" Paleontology is a rich science that stretches far beyond just dinosaurs. We can learn a lot Earth and our own future by studying ancient life, namely, how does the planet keep changing and how can we adapt to that neverending change.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I don' think anybody is arguing its importance, but I can understand students not wanting to do it because there are more lucrative careers.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

If the student makes the decision himself/herself, that's one thing. But when other people are actively discouraging it just because they see no value in it, that's problematic IMO.

Vertigo

Vertigo

England's out of the World Cup. Why isn't this thread just full of people breaking down into tears and wondering what's the point of living in this barren post-apocalyptic emotional desert?

(Well, from the English people.)

SM

SM

Probably because they expected it.  There's a long proud tradition of Poms generally being mediocre at sports they invented.

We all expected Australia to go nowhere against Chile, Netherlands and Spain - and we didn't.  But we're pretty happy that they were actually competitive.

Ghostface

Ghostface

We gave it good. As the lowest Fifa ranked team in the world cup I think we did ourselves proud.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Here's the thing - England is not a team filled with bad players. Practically all of them play for top clubs. And back in the '00s, we had one of the greatest offence combinations on the planet with Owen/Beckham. Yet somehow, when it comes down to it, as a team they just can't make their game hang together.

This is the true cruelty of England in international football: there's good reason to hope, but in true Game of Thrones fashion, they brutally kerbstomp our dreams at every opportunity.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 21, 2014, 04:25:36 AM
If the student makes the decision himself/herself, that's one thing. But when other people are actively discouraging it just because they see no Novalue in it, that's problematic IMO.
OH NOES, THE FOSSILS!!11!

WinterActual

WinterActual

Quote from: Sabby on Jun 19, 2014, 10:40:42 PM
It's annoying, yeah, but when you goad them on purpose for attention, you lose any right to complain.
No, I don't need your attention. And it doesn't makes sense to attract negative attention if that was the whole point in a first place (to get attention). Are there people who seek negative reactions towards them on purpose? I didn't know that.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 20, 2014, 11:58:49 PM
spreadeaglebeagle once told me he was against the death penalty but that he wanted to eviscerate murderers with his teeth.

What?  ???

I put him on my dangerous liberal most likely to convert to conservative list.

What?  ???

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

this was like six months ago on some death penalty issue

you got all riled up

Cvalda

Cvalda

And he's trying to rile you up again, Beagle. Ignore him :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed