In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,416,660 times)

Topazora

Topazora

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 08, 2014, 11:10:21 PM
Quote from: Topazora on Mar 08, 2014, 10:56:31 PM
Yeah, I saw it, and it really does hit you emotionally.  That's what scares me, is when people start making judgments and start taking actions based on emotion without knowing all the facts.
Like I said, I don't know how Seaworld is treating their animals or how the animals are effected the aquariums.  My problem with Blackfish is that its very one sided and that Seaworld does nothing for the welfare of animals.
Sea World refused to participate in the film, so not exactly the filmmaker's fault it's one sided.

I don't blame them, this was going to be an anti-Seaworld piece in the first place.  Like I said, I don't think Blackfish is all lies and slander, but Seaworld is not just some evil corporation either.

Eh... I'm just a "you know, both sides make some pretty good points" type of a person.

Cvalda

Cvalda

They make a lot of money by exploiting the imprisonment and forced performance of intelligent mammals and refuse to admit there's anything maybe wrong with it -- I dunno, I think that's kind of evil.

Aspie

Aspie

ooooo, this is a fascinating discussion.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 09, 2014, 12:15:36 AM
They make a lot of money by exploiting the imprisonment and forced performance of intelligent mammals and refuse to admit there's anything maybe wrong with it -- I dunno, I think that's kind of evil.
So what's the evil part -- the money, or the imprisonment, or that it's mammals, or does it have to be all of those things? Is imprisoning and exploiting an intelligent bird less evil because it's not a mammal, or what?

Cvalda

Cvalda

Any one of the things is pretty bad, but the making money off it part is the worst. And I'd feel just as self-righteously morally outraged if it were an intelligent bird.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 09, 2014, 12:15:36 AM

Humanity in a nutshell.

"Maybe, kinda evil." On a pincushion.

Xenodog

Xenodog

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 09, 2014, 12:29:04 AM
Any one of the things is pretty bad, but the making money off it part is the worst. And I'd feel just as self-righteously morally outraged if it were an intelligent bird.

I would say the imprisonment itself...

SiL

SiL

Okay, so if I had a show-quality dog that I trained and took to dog shows and won money from, I'd be an evil bastard even though the dog's well-looked after, well fed, and has better medical care than most people get?

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Xenodog on Mar 09, 2014, 12:33:42 AM
I would say the imprisonment itself...
Most of these whales were bred in captivity, so they're unfortunately probably not equipped to survive out in the sea. At least continuing to care for them is something. But you're right, it's appalling to begin with.

Quote from: SiL on Mar 09, 2014, 12:34:59 AM
Okay, so if I had a show-quality dog that I trained and took to dog shows and won money from, I'd be an evil bastard even though the dog's well-looked after, well fed, and has better medical care than most people get?
1. Dogs are domesticated animals. Living as human captives is what they've been bred for over thousands of years.
2. No, it wouldn't make you evil. But it'd make you kind of tacky and laughable.

Xenodog

Xenodog

Quote from: SiL on Mar 09, 2014, 12:34:59 AM
Define 'show-quality' SiL, because that's a debate of it's own.
Do you mean an inbred, crippled, hyaena-dog that struggles to breath, has skin riddled with infection and can't give birth without a C-section and yet is deemed Best in Show?

And yeah, good point Cvalda.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 09, 2014, 12:37:55 AM
2. No, it wouldn't make you evil. But it'd make you kind of tacky and laughable.
Why tacky and laughable?

Quote from: Xenodog on Mar 09, 2014, 12:41:28 AM
Define 'show-quality' SiL, because that's a debate of it's own.
Healthy purebred dog, generally.

QuoteDo you mean an inbred, crippled, hyaena-dog that struggles to breath, has skin riddled with infection and can't give birth without a C-section and yet is deemed Best in Show?
Obviously not.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: SiL on Mar 09, 2014, 12:46:53 AM
Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 09, 2014, 12:37:55 AM
Why tacky and laughable?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rARKAStGRy8#ws

Xenodog

Xenodog

Steer away from terms like 'purebred' and 'show quality' then.
Take a look a Crufts and the a fore mentioned description is what those terms sadly now mean.

Vickers

Vickers

Not all zoos are bad but a lot of them are just money making machines.

Sea World and places that keep sea mammals in captivity may offer some education - but it's nothing that can't be taught through film and books. Dolphins and killer whales doing tricks for food is not educational. And it's a disgusting form of entertainment. More often than not they're not even helping those creatures.

As for dog shows - never understood the point of them. It's basically a pageant for animals. And humans get to feel better about themselves for having the "better" dog.

SiL

SiL

Video not available.

Although from the preview image it looks like you're going for the "The sort of people who do this are nutjobs" argument.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed