In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,427,037 times)

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: BANE on Mar 04, 2014, 02:25:08 AM
I'm still pretty happy with Russia.

You haven't had to go to the bathroom in Sochi, where the toilet is installed upside down and then the door locks shut behind you and you can't get out without busting the door down.

(this actually happened too)

First Blood

First Blood

:laugh: :laugh:

In Russia toilet flushes you.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: KirklandSignature on Mar 03, 2014, 10:11:40 PM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Mar 03, 2014, 07:52:38 PM
Shit guys, it's all about money. Put simply Russia has been robbing the former soviet territories into the ground. If the state of Ukraine were to join the EU, as roughly half of the populace does, Russia stands to lose not only a significant amount of capital but also several major naval ports. Actually, more than money, it is likely all about naval power. Which would tie in with their attitude about the recent conflicts in Syria and Georgia. The next big reason is that Russia does not want European powers to get right up side it's borders. Russia has essentially used Ukraine and all of it's border-states as meat shields from western aggression for nearly a century. There is also the fact that Ukraine might still have things, unknown to us, that Russia wants. From weapons to vodka.

Oh and yea, Putin is a Dick.

So should the US and NATO put boots on the ground in Crimea? I too agree the Soviets interest in the region is definitely naval power related.
Yea, Russia recently signed a 25 year naval agreement with the former Ukraine president. This entire show of force is to protect that interest first and foremost. People may not think much about it but being a landlocked power sucks. :P

The west doesn't have a vital interest to warrant boots on the ground at the moment and Putin knows it. This is a traditional show of force. However Ukraine is a divided country and perhaps Putin thinks the recent upheaval is the perfect time to regain total control over the Ukraine via military might. It's the perfect opportunity to be honest. It's been a while since we had a cold war standoff.

However does anyone think Putin would risk a hot war with the west by taking it too far? Remember he is a relic form the cold war days and is most definitely not getting any younger.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

He was also KGB which is their intelligence arm.  He might be a relic, but I'm sure he's not stupid. 

Topazora

Topazora

He might risk a hot war, but it's hard to say.  Most of the countries are so economically intertwined, its because of this, China has not made any aggressive moves towards the West or Eastern countries (like Taiwan or maybe even Japan) that the West supports. Even Russia has economic ties with the U.S. Federal Reserve- which would be why the U.S. would not be so willing to get into any conflict with Russia- as they own part of us.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

That's the most terrifying thing; Putin is one smart, fully trained and experienced mutherf**ker.  :laugh: He knows how to stack the deck old world style. Still as of now it's just an incursion; there hasn't been an actual invasion.

We shouldn't blow it out of proportion at the moment but maybe Russia is afraid of being left behind in the 21st century. Thus their willingness to go to war in this case.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Pro-Russian troops shoot warning shots at un-armed Ukrainian soldiers marching forward demanding their jobs back at an air base and the Russians warned if they marched closer they would be shot.

http://t.news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/ukraine-crisis-pro-russia-troops-fire-warning-shots-at-ukraine-base-1

A bold move I think, as far as going in un-armed goes.

Also in the article the two Ukrainian warships remain in Ukrainian hands after a Russian ultimatum did not pass (supposedly Russians were going to storm the ships in one hour if they did not surrender), and the Russian "exercise" forces north of the border have been ordered by Putin back to their permanent bases.

Eva

Eva

What the Ukrainians need to do, is to step down and not provoke. Putin's motive of placing troops in Ukraine to safeguard the Russian populace there, only retains what shred of credibility it has, if those Russians are actually under threat from Ukrainians. So far, they haven't been - not in the slightest. Putin can't make a first offensive move without probable cause.

Put the pressure on him economically. When Russian business interest start to take hits, criticism of Putin will emerge within Russia and more importantly, within Putin's own inner circle as well.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

I talked about something along those lines (the Russian Roulette analogy and those other posts), and it's starting to show a bit (Russian stock market tumbling), but I couldn't help but wonder in bed if I screwed up something I said somehow.  :laugh:

*looks*

Okay I did good despite a serious lack of sleep.

But yea, if Ukrainian soldiers are willing to just to march up completely un-armed in protest for their jobs, as opposed to just shooting for their jobs, then Putin's "hostile ultranationalist" reasoning has further been proven hollow. As I mentioned before, Putin was counting on a vengeful and rebellious anti-Russian Ukraine to make his goals more reasonable, problem for Putin is Ukraine hasn't given him the satisfaction yet. Putin isn't rich enough to keep "doubling his bets" as it'll just put more strain on Russia's economy.

This will certainly hurt how many Russians want to vote for him in the future.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/10674812/Vladimir-Putin-orders-troops-near-Ukraine-border-to-return-to-bases.html

Well there are now reports that Putin is ordering some troops to stand down and return to base. Supposedly all that shit on the Russia/Ukraine border was just a military exercise.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

A Canadian Forces ship damaged by an engine bay fire is being towed to Hawaii.

http://t.news.ca.msn.com/world/hmcs-protecteur-under-tow-about-400-km-from-hawaii

Aspie

Aspie

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Crimea breaks ties with Ukraine.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/we-control-everything-crimea-breaks-ties-with-ukraine/article17266761/

Didn't see that coming. My thoughts are with the people of Ukraine and despite these dark times I hope that soon peace can be found.

KirklandSignature

KirklandSignature

Sort of makes one think that the Soviet Union wants it's former SSR's back. This would mean the dissolution in the early 1990's was a facade to appease or fool the US into thinking the Cold War was finished when behind the scenes, the soviets never left the countries.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Poor Ukraine; things are really going to hell in a handcart over there. And I thought Egypt was in a bad spot.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed