In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,418,790 times)

Terx2

Terx2

Quote from: maledoro on Sep 10, 2013, 12:29:51 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2013/sep/10/david-attenborough-human-evolution-stopped

Human evolution has stopped! Why am I not surprised. I guess it's lucky that we aren't devolving...

DC

DC

Maybe that's a good thing. Now we just need to focus on evolving mentally.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

We have, that's why we have the technology we do. The problem is that our biology, however, hasn't evolved to make proper use of it. That's why the world is in the shape it's in.

DC

DC

We think too much and feel too little, in the wise words of Charles Chaplin.

BANE

BANE

Quote from: Terx2 on Sep 10, 2013, 12:42:43 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2013/sep/10/david-attenborough-human-evolution-stopped

Human evolution has stopped! Why am I not surprised. I guess it's lucky that we aren't devolving...
He didn't actually say that in the article, so the link title is misleading.

DC

DC

Quote from: BANE on Sep 10, 2013, 03:04:59 PM

After re-reading it I agree with you on this.

Effectz

Effectz

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIsnbUxAPhs

Shocking how they treat the father.

Hes going on AVFM News Radio at 9pm tonight,read the description.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: Effectz on Sep 10, 2013, 04:44:21 PM

f**king idiots.

Xeno Killer 2179

Xeno Killer 2179

Meh. Sometimes when I hear people say "humans are a plague on Earth", I think they've forgotten that the damage we've done doesn't even come close to some of the natural disasters that have threatened life on Earth or the very planet itself (which simply redirects evolution most of the time). Mammals were born from mass extinction. Even the first prokaryotes died so oxygen suckers could live.

Someone commented in the article and said that as long as a species is around, it will continue to evolve. Humans aren't like any other species on Earth, so why should we assume that we must evolve solely by what our environment molds us into? Maybe the ultimate goal of evolution is to create a species intelligent enough to steer it's own course wherever it wants.

As for overpopulation, technology will have to keep improving to support these mega population projections, otherwise they'll just plateau. Having way too many people on the planet does worry me about the quality of life in the future. What will happen when science finds a way to extend human life?

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: DC on Sep 10, 2013, 02:23:06 PMWe think too much and feel too little, in the wise words of Charles Chaplin.
Unless you're a redneck.

Eva

Eva

Some of his arguments are really out there, when viewed in a larger context. The article almost makes it sound like that he thinks of our ability to counter natural selection, as a disadvantage to the human race.

As for evolution, I've read that most biologists and genetic researchers today agree that we have pretty much peaked as a species from a biological standpoint. Our 'modern' brains are not that different than the brain of a human who lived 10.000 years ago.

Terx2

Terx2

Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 10, 2013, 02:11:41 PM
We have, that's why we have the technology we do. The problem is that our biology, however, hasn't evolved to make proper use of it. That's why the world is in the shape it's in.

We have technology but we don't use it to its full potential. If we did at least half of our problems would be solved.

Quote from: Xeno Killer 2179 on Sep 10, 2013, 08:14:53 PM

Meh. Sometimes when I hear people say "humans are a plague on Earth", I think they've forgotten that the damage we've done doesn't even come close to some of the natural disasters that have threatened life on Earth or the very planet itself (which simply redirects evolution most of the time). Mammals were born from mass extinction. Even the first prokaryotes died so oxygen suckers could live.

Someone commented in the article and said that as long as a species is around, it will continue to evolve. Humans aren't like any other species on Earth, so why should we assume that we must evolve solely by what our environment molds us into? Maybe the ultimate goal of evolution is to create a species intelligent enough to steer it's own course wherever it wants.

As for overpopulation, technology will have to keep improving to support these mega population projections, otherwise they'll just plateau. Having way too many people on the planet does worry me about the quality of life in the future. What will happen when science finds a way to extend human life?

Thats the thing. Its thanks to our technology we can live longer and save the ones who would otherwise perish during birth or help us give life to the next generation. Repair limbs and replace organs and such. But overpopulation is an issue. Feeding everyone would get a lot harder. Plus extending human life. I personally wouldn't take it unless there was no other way I would get to see my grandchildren. Besides the rich would mostly take it for themselves like my dad said to me "The rich fear two things. Death and becoming poor." if they can prevent one of the these they will still retain power amongst the rest of us.

Quote from: DC on Sep 10, 2013, 03:50:25 PM
Quote from: BANE on Sep 10, 2013, 03:04:59 PM

After re-reading it I agree with you on this.

Well the title might need a bit of work but the message it sends is still there.

Quote from: Eva on Sep 10, 2013, 10:31:31 PM

Some of his arguments are really out there, when viewed in a larger context. The article almost makes it sound like that he thinks of our ability to counter natural selection, as a disadvantage to the human race.

As for evolution, I've read that most biologists and genetic researchers today agree that we have pretty much peaked as a species from a biological standpoint. Our 'modern' brains are not that different than the brain of a human who lived 10.000 years ago.

Well there is three ways this can play out. One we accept we can't evolve further. Two we force evolution somehow. Three we divert to more alterions of ourselves. It would take time for an entire species to evolve so two might not be possible. The thing is we do overcome natural selection. Viruses, Plagues and Diseases kill a lot of us but its thanks to our technology and scientists we either cure it or vactinate people to protect them from it easily. If it wasn't for the smart of us we would have died off long ago. If we don't learn more about our universe, our planet and ourselves we'll never expand.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Effectz on Sep 10, 2013, 04:44:21 PM

This is f**king disgusting. Congratulations feminism, you have resulted in alienating yet another child from her father. I feel so badly for this man, you have no idea. That fat bitch deserves to be slapped upside the head.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

http://t.news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/kerry-set-for-difficult-and-complicated-talks-on-syria-chemical-weapons-plan?tmx=1

QuoteThe looming meeting between Kerry and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov came two days after President Barack Obama addressed the country, announcing that he would put off a military strike and work with Russia, China and American allies to force Syria to give up its chemical weapons.

I like that idea. Rather than just outright striking (preferably), force Syria to give up it's chemical weapons while working with Russia. It's something.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

While I like that no strike will occur, I don't agree with forcing Syria to give up its weapons in principle. I disagree with it for the same reasons I don't agree with America telling Iran or North Korea they cannot have nuclear weapons.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed