In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,416,502 times)

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jul 15, 2013, 05:47:05 AM
Not arguing whether racism is real or not. It is. However I disagree racism existed in this altercation. Trayvon got shot because he beat the shit out of Zimmerman. At the end of the day Zimmerman called 911 and was told to stand down. As far as the evidence shows he did cease his purist. Trayvon upon noticing Zimmerman responded by assaulting him on his own accord. Regardless of the reasons you aren't allowed to seek revenge nor are you allowed to just beat someone up. In this case trayvon had the overwhelming advantage over the weaker Zimmerman. In the eyes of the law it is self-defense.

No one is saying that Trayvon Martin was a saint. Martin's response to Zimmerman's more than provocative and offensive act was not ok, but it doesn't make it ok to shoot and kill him. That's just bullshit! I mean, if Martin looked as dangerous and scary as Zimmerman claims, then Zimmerman must have known that pursuing Martin might end in foul play. Ad to the equation that Zimmerman was armed, i.e. having the upper hand if it had to come to that, and Zimmerman's "self-defense" claim is just ass-backwards. Zimmerman started a fight, got his ass kicked and then shot and killed the person. End of story. Not self-defense.

QuoteBoth 2nd degree murder and manslaughter were wholly unprovable. Zimmerman was not out to murder Trayvon. Even negligent homicide was unprovable. Under the law the best they could go for was felony assault.

It was totally manslaughter -  it's just beyond obvious. It boggles my mind. But then on the other hand Florida boggles my mind.

QuoteStill there is civil court to pursue. Making this a civil rights case is not likely.

I doubt it as well.

I personally don't think that Zimmerman had a racist agenda, but I do believe that he acted on racial stereotypes of young black men. I'm not calling him racist though. I'm just saying that for whatever reason he felt that he had to confront this teenager. And he did it armed.

To me Zimmerman's 'actions' (i.e. crime) has even more to do with GUN CONTROL than it has to do with racism. The outcome of this trial gives a huge advantage to the pro-gun lobby, legitimizing gun owners to take law into their own hands. Not only at home but also on the street. Gives gun owners even more special treatment and entitlements than before.

The verdict of the Zimmerman trial tells us that it is ok to pick a fight with people not of your liking and then shoot them dead if they have the audacity to fight back.

Quote from: Cal427eb on Jul 15, 2013, 06:54:39 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 15, 2013, 05:54:02 AM
I have one thing to say about the Zimmerman case. Here's my status update from Facebook.

QuoteSo the Zimmerman trial is over. Can we all move on with our lives and find something actually worth worrying about? Seriously, this has practically become the O.J. Simpson case of the 2000s.

I'm sorry, but this case really isn't all that important on a global scale. To American citizens, yes, I can sympathize but for the world it seems to freak out the way it did is a bit much.
No, you have a point and I agree with you. Time to move on. This case never should have gotten as much attention as it did in the first place.

I didn't know that this was big news outside of the U.S.

It is big news here in the U.S. and his huge consequences, just like I pointed out in my reply above:

"To me Zimmerman's 'actions' (i.e. crime) has even more to do with GUN CONTROL than it has to do with racism. The outcome of this trial gives a huge advantage to the pro-gun lobby, legitimizing gun owners to take law into their own hands whenever they feel like it. Not only at home but also on the street. Gives gun owners even more special treatment and entitlements than before.

The verdict of the Zimmerman trial tells us that it is ok to pick a fight with people not of your liking and then shoot them dead  if they have the audacity to fight back."

It's deeply disturbing.

Aspie

Aspie

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jul 15, 2013, 03:05:13 AM
Quote from: Aspie on Jul 14, 2013, 04:16:03 PM
Zimmerman wasn't set free because he wasn't black (he himself is a minority), he was decided to be "not guilty" primarily due to the mishandling of the evidence initially, questionable prosecution, and Florida's unfocused Stand Your Ground law. Although race played a huge part in the media, no one can say for sure how much it affected Zimmerman's actions or the result of the trial.

It's very obvious. Take the entire situation but Trayvon Martin being white instead of a person of color, and Zimmerman would've been in really deep, deep doodoo right now. Him (Zimmerman) being a minority, armed, following a white unarmed teenager (Martin) just because he didn't like his appearance, then starts hassling the white teenager - the cornered teenager pushes back and a violent fight erupts between the two, ending with Zimmerman - a minority, shooting and killing Trayvon - a white teenager with his entire life in front of him... The case wouldn't have even reached media, because Zimmerman would've been charged with murder or at least manslaughter.

Florida f****d up here, really bad. THEY turned this into a race thing; their incompetence invited the media to turn this into a silly "race war" spectacle. Thankfully it seems like the Justice Department is going to review this case and verdict since things where not handled the right way here.

QuoteIt's very obvious. Take the entire situation but Trayvon Martin being white instead of a person of color, and Zimmerman would've been in really deep, deep doodoo right now. Him (Zimmerman) being a minority, armed, following a white unarmed teenager (Martin) just because he didn't like his appearance, then starts hassling the white teenager - the cornered teenager pushes back and a violent fight erupts between the two, ending with Zimmerman - a minority, shooting and killing Trayvon - a white teenager with his entire life in front of him... The case wouldn't have even reached media, because Zimmerman would've been charged with murder or at least manslaughter.

But no one, including you, can prove that race was a motivator to Zimmerman, and played a role in his acquittal. I'm not saying that race definitely played no part in this, I'm saying that it is not wise to speculate and feed hypothetical situations based off a case that no one will ever have the full story about. We can't just take past racial disputes and use them to fill in the blanks that the Zimmerman case has.

And Zimmerman was acquitted because:
Quotethe mishandling of the evidence initially, questionable prosecution, and Florida's unfocused Stand Your Ground law.

All of that would've still been there, even if Trayvon was a white kid. And remember, there was a double verdict. George Zimmerman was found "Not Guilty", and Trayvon Martin was found "Guilty" of assaulting Zimmerman. That's how unclear this case was. And with non-clarity , comes reasonable doubt.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Aspie on Jul 15, 2013, 03:57:18 PM
But no one, including you, can prove that race was a motivator to Zimmerman, and played a role in his acquittal. I'm not saying that race definitely played no part in this, I'm saying that it is not wise to speculate and feed hypothetical situations based off a case that no one will ever have the full story about. We can't just take past racial disputes and use them to fill in the blanks that the Zimmerman case has.

Check my last response to Whiterabbit (and Cal427eb). Don't want to quote / repeat myself again.

In short though, the racist burden here lies on the state of Florida and Zimmerman's defense apparatus.

QuoteAll of that would've still been there, even if Trayvon was a white kid. And remember, there was a double verdict. George Zimmerman was found "Not Guilty", and Trayvon Martin was found "Guilty" of assaulting Zimmerman. That's how unclear this case was. And with non-clarity , comes reasonable doubt.

But it was and still is clear. The only thing clouding this case is that Trayvon Martin looked like a scary young black guy who had the audacity to fight back against a self-righteous gun owner attempting to hassle and bully him just because he looked scary (...young and black).

This is proof on how Florida's, and the U.S., overall gun policies, laws and legislature are sick. Being a "legal" gun owner in the U.S. gives you special exempt status, especially when 'enacting' the Second Amendment against Secondhand Citizens.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jul 15, 2013, 03:50:24 PM
Quote from: Cal427eb on Jul 15, 2013, 06:54:39 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 15, 2013, 05:54:02 AM
I have one thing to say about the Zimmerman case. Here's my status update from Facebook.

QuoteSo the Zimmerman trial is over. Can we all move on with our lives and find something actually worth worrying about? Seriously, this has practically become the O.J. Simpson case of the 2000s.

I'm sorry, but this case really isn't all that important on a global scale. To American citizens, yes, I can sympathize but for the world it seems to freak out the way it did is a bit much.
No, you have a point and I agree with you. Time to move on. This case never should have gotten as much attention as it did in the first place.

I didn't know that this was big news outside of the U.S.

It is big news here in the U.S. and his huge consequences, just like I pointed out in my reply above:

"To me Zimmerman's 'actions' (i.e. crime) has even more to do with GUN CONTROL than it has to do with racism. The outcome of this trial gives a huge advantage to the pro-gun lobby, legitimizing gun owners to take law into their own hands whenever they feel like it. Not only at home but also on the street. Gives gun owner even more special treatment and entitlements than before.

The verdict of the Zimmerman trial tells us that it is ok to pick a fight with people not of your liking and then shoot them dead  if they have the audacity to fight back."

It's deeply disturbing.

Yeah, quite a few of my friends here in Canada went nuts when the verdict was announced. Their passion is admirable but based on their respective reactions, you'd think this was the only bit of news out there.

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

There hasn't been much coverage of it over here in the UK, from what I've seen anyway, Twitter was going berserk last night though

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

To take away from the Zimmerman story, here's something lighthearted and funny we can all enjoy. A simple case of kids being kids.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/14/san-diego-students-sick_n_3594391.html?utm_hp_ref=weird-news

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

That is ridiculously brilliant!!

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 15, 2013, 05:27:46 PM
To take away from the Zimmerman story, here's something lighthearted and funny we can all enjoy. A simple case of kids being kids.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/14/san-diego-students-sick_n_3594391.html?utm_hp_ref=weird-news
:laugh:

I remember doing that kind of stuff.  :D

Eva

Eva

The Zimmerman case was also all over the news here. Very, very sad display of blatant miscarriage in the justice system. Does the prosecutor still have a job? The opinion in legal circles seems to be that they botched the case.

In other news, a Danish woman just finished a marathon run yesterday - her 365th marathon in 365 days! The word is she has worn out 20 pairs of running shoes in that year. And to think that I'm usually spent after 5 kilometers lol 8)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Eva on Jul 15, 2013, 08:22:42 PM
In other news, a Danish woman just finished a marathon run yesterday - her 365th marathon in 365 days! The word is she has worn out 20 pairs of running shoes in that year. And to think that I'm usually spent after 5 kilometers lol 8)

Damn, she's a champ lol. Where was she running from, to?

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Blacklabel on Jul 14, 2013, 05:01:04 PM
http://www.facebook.com/michaeljaiwhite?ref=ts&fref=ts

Michael Jai White (Spawn, Black Dynamite) says:

QuoteI'd like to help George Zimmerman. I know that he is worried about his safety and I'd like to offer my services. He knows how important it is that he not be found by those who might do him harm and I'm just the guy who can make that happen. I would meet with him, take him to a secluded location and I'd make sure no one would ever find him again!

:laugh:
Incredible.  :laugh:

Eva

Eva

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 15, 2013, 09:57:14 PM
Quote from: Eva on Jul 15, 2013, 08:22:42 PM

Damn, she's a champ lol. Where was she running from, to?

She was running full marathons mostly here, actually - one each day. I just know about it because she was in the tv this weekend when she finished the last run.

http://www.annettefredskov.dk/about-366-marathons-in-365-days/

My mind is boggled...

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

"To me Zimmerman's 'actions' (i.e. crime) has even more to do with GUN CONTROL than it has to do with racism. The outcome of this trial gives a huge advantage to the pro-gun lobby, legitimizing gun owners to take law into their own hands whenever they feel like it. Not only at home but also on the street. Gives gun owners even more special treatment and entitlements than before.
"

Basically how I view this case. It really seems the race issue was forcefully inserted (or at least played up hugely) by the media, and the real issue here is people walking around with guns, not racial profiling.

I could be wrong, never having been to the states, but that's the impression I've picked up.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: [CANCERBLACK] on Jul 16, 2013, 12:58:54 AM
"

Basically how I view this case. It really seems the race issue was forcefully inserted (or at least played up hugely) by the media, and the real issue here is people walking around with guns, not racial profiling.

I could be wrong, never having been to the states, but that's the impression I've picked up.
And you would be correct good sir.

Gate

Gate

I'm a resident and Florida and despite what people claim nobody is going apeshit (pardon the pun) over this case. It's very safe and the Law was handled according to  the book. Was it most likely a completely 'just' verdict? No, but under the law it can be considered Just. Blame the media for demonizing Zimmerman as a racist predator and blame the Prosecution for their piss poor performance.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed