In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,416,882 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Dec 16, 2013, 06:30:14 PM
And we all know, China is a jewel to which all criminal justice systems should be compared.

I'm referring to the method of execution. It's quick and easy.

Xeno Killer 2179

Xeno Killer 2179

I'm pretty sure china uses an assault rifle with one hollow point round at close range. I don't doubt they've used handguns as well.

By the way, people on death row are considered wards of the state, which means they aren't actually prisoners and have very different rights than normal inmates.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Hubbs on Dec 16, 2013, 04:08:03 PM
I also don't see why it would cost more to house death row prisoners, do they get special treatment or something? I understand that the trials could be longer but most big trials do so anyway. I can't see how keeping someone locked up for life is cheaper than executing them, doesn't make any kind of sense.
Death Row facilities cost more to operate (heightened security, etc.) Have some stats! The average Death Row inmate spends fifteen years incarcerated between conviction and execution and only 16% of people put on Death Row since 1977 have actually been executed.

The longest anyone went before being executed? Thirty-three years. The longest anyone went before dying on their own (A brain tumour, in this case)? Forty-three years (Wikipedia, Death Row article).

Capital court cases cost more and run longer, as can their repeals. People on Death Row are incarcerated in higher-cost facilities on average for 1.5 decades, paid for by taxpayers.

It ain't cheaper.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Firing squads.

SiL

SiL

People are still executed by firing squads. They don't, like, magically make the system go faster.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

I know, I was just saying if we just rushed through the court system, gave them a sentence and carried it out almost immediately, it would be pretty cheap. Although, I'm not saying this is a good idea.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

I just find the whole concept barbaric.

Are there certain people who deserve to die? Arguable.

However, I feel society has no place making that judgement. The justice system is in place for rehabilitation of criminals and protecting the public. Killing men already in custody serves neither of those purposes. It's pure vengeance and retribution.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Killing people is cheap. It's the 7 years of legal bills that's not. Plus we put down a lot of innocent people all of the time. Humans are barbaric by nature so I don't see what the big deal is. We should send criminals to the moon via an efficient space elevator. They can mine for green cheese or float around a bit.

Aspie

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Hahahahahaha

Dammmmmmmnnnnnn

Sgt. Apone

Sgt. Apone

Quote from: whiterabbit on Dec 16, 2013, 10:28:04 PM
Killing people is cheap. It's the 7 years of legal bills that's not. Plus we put down a lot of innocent people all of the time. Humans are barbaric by nature so I don't see what the big deal is. We should send criminals to the moon via an efficient space elevator. They can mine for green cheese or float around a bit.

And what if the guy's innocent? Just because we put down innocent people makes it ok?

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Sgt. Apone on Dec 17, 2013, 12:00:37 AM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Dec 16, 2013, 10:28:04 PM

And what if the guy's innocent? Just because we put down innocent people makes it ok?
Put down == execute. It's not ok for a civilized race but lets face it humans are barbaric by nature and that's not going to change anytime soon. So, what's the big deal? It's no different than any other murder or war.

SM

SM

And yet most of us constantly make choices that defy our supposed "barbaric" nature.  That whole barbaric nature thing is a lazy cop out.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

It's a sarcastic cop out. Plus it's not so much defy but willful ignorance. I mean sure I disagree with executions. Partly because a significant number of those executed are innocent. But do any of us care enough to do something about it?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed