In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,424,792 times)

SM

SM

Caring for abandoned animals, running breeding programs to try and protect species from extinction, education programs... ugh

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10913399

The severe earthquake which rocked the upper South Island and lower North Island this afternoon sent workers in Wellington running into the streets as the ground shook and buildings swayed from side to side.

GNS has confirmed the earthquake at 2.31pm was a magnitude 6.6 and was just 8km deep, 3km shallower than the magnitude 6.5 quake which hit the Cook Strait last month.

Today's quake was centred just off Seddon at the top of the South Island, causing significant damage to houses and infrastructure in the region.

In Wellington, hundreds of commuters were left stranded, with the rail network crippled and 11 commuter trains stuck between platforms for up to an hour.

The mass exodus from the city also caused traffic chaos in the suburbs as drivers tried to avoid the motorway and get home via back streets.

I'm so f**king done with this shit.

Vickers

Vickers

Quote from: SM on Aug 16, 2013, 03:01:42 AM
Caring for abandoned animals, running breeding programs to try and protect species from extinction, education programs... ugh

Sure. I have no problem with "zoos" or rehabilitation centres that take animals in that need to be cared for before being released back into the wild or breed with endangered species but sometimes nature also needs to take its course instead of people just screwing with everything. I don't think education is a good reason to keep animals in small holdings. That's what books, the internet, zoologists and natural reserves are for. Taking an animal out of their natural environment and putting them in a small holding area for profit is unfortunately what many zoos do.

I'm all for rehabilitation programs but I know enough about zoos and dolphinariums to know that many of them don't operate that way.

Xenodog

Xenodog

Quote from: Vickers on Aug 16, 2013, 11:05:17 AM

Sure. I have no problem with "zoos" or rehabilitation centres that take animals in that need to be cared for before being released back into the wild or breed with endangered species but sometimes nature also needs to take its course instead of people just screwing with everything. I don't think education is a good reason to keep animals in small holdings. That's what books, the internet, zoologists and natural reserves are for. Taking an animal out of their natural environment and putting them in a small holding area for profit is unfortunately what many zoos do.

I'm all for rehabilitation programs but I know enough about zoos and dolphinariums to know that many of them don't operate that way.

Some zoos can actually quite good places for the animals - and a lot of captive bred specimens would likely have dificulties if returned to the wild. But asian zoos are often very poor quality and have truly horrific ethics.
And definitley safari parks are a much better option also I.M.O.
I think they're just too set into culture now to abolish zoos, but at least it's good a lot of western ones are (albeit slowly) improving in quality.

Original story was hilarious though.

maledoro

maledoro

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I would agree with you. I think zoos should be dismantled and more wildlife preserves set up. Breeding an animal in captivity isn't a good idea IMO because if you hand feed it all the time and raise it within a small, confined area, how the heck is going to know how to live on its own once it's released back into the wild?

Vertigo

Vertigo

If you were to release the animals in zoos into the wild, they'd meet with the same circumstances that made their species endangered. In the civilised world, zoos exist primarily to conserve wildlife - London and Whipsnade, for example, contribute 10-20% of their turnover to wildlife conservation programmes (which I think represents all of their profit). Their animals are kept in good conditions, and for that matter good condition - animal life expectancy is vastly higher in a decent zoo. They're kept exercised, and the keepers do what they can to provide the best quality of life for them. Breeding programmes avoid inbreeding (which in some cases is crippling wild populations - eg. the jaguar and lion) and increase the population away from poaching, starvation and disease. The public exhibitions are there to provide the funding necessary to keep the animals (and as mentioned for field conservation work); Whipsnade spends £1 million a year just on food for the animals. Only an oligarch could afford to keep a private collection for any length of time.

Regarding taking animals out of the wild to put in zoos - any decent zoo does not do this, and won't accept animals which were obtained that way, which is usually illegal. It's actually illegal even to breed endangered species outside established breeding programmes, in which every animal's history and parentage is accounted for.

Getting back to the release of endangered animals into the wild, as I touched on earlier, in most cases it's counterproductive as the circumstances that caused them to become endangered are still in place. Wildlife preserves are too far apart to allow the intermingling of populations, resulting in inbreeding. Poachers run unchecked in poorer regions. Diseases like TB or chytrid infection can't be guarded against. When conditions alleviate, zoos often run programmes to reintroduce captive populations back into the wild. In my opinion, if anything they're too eager to do this - even if a Siberian tiger is successfully acclimated to fending for itself, the wild population of that species is almost certainly screwed. The future for them relies on building their numbers in a safe environment.

As for unregulated zoos, of the kind you particularly hear about in Asia, I can't really comment, I don't have experience. Chances are, any zoo you've actually visited in the last couple of decades will be ethically sound and run by people who genuinely care about their charges, both in captivity and in the wild.

Xenodog

Xenodog

Quote from: DoomRulz on Aug 16, 2013, 12:57:09 PM

I would agree with you. I think zoos should be dismantled and more wildlife preserves set up. Breeding an animal in captivity isn't a good idea IMO because if you hand feed it all the time and raise it within a small, confined area, how the heck is going to know how to live on its own once it's released back into the wild?

Animals do suprisingly well in such instances, but it's the bigger issue of human habituation that is the biggest setback.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

:laugh:

SM

SM

Quote from: DoomRulz on Aug 16, 2013, 12:57:09 PM

You know, I'm sure no one has ever considered that.

Ever.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23747242

QuoteThe first same-sex weddings have taken place in New Zealand after the country became the first in the Asia-Pacific region and 14th in the world to legalise same-sex marriage.

Thirty-one same-sex couples had been due to marry on Monday, according to the Department of Internal Affairs.

It comes after New Zealand's parliament passed a bill in April amending the country's 1955 marriage act.

The move had faced opposition from Christian lobby groups.

Conservative lobby group Family First said changing the Marriage Act was "an arrogant act of cultural vandalism" which did not have a public mandate.

But the Campaign for Marriage Equality said it ended a historical injustice.
'All love is holy'

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Lol@"cultural vandalism". Go f**k yourself, you religious f**kwits.

SM

SM

77 to 44 plus 7 out of 8 opinion polls got a mandate for a man date.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed