Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,424,205 times)

Corporal Hicks

Whiskeybrewer

Shinawi

Shinawi

http://news.yahoo.com/san-bernadino-shooting-live-coverage-193436110.html#
QuoteLive: 14 killed in mass shooting in San Bernardino, Calif.; 2 gunmen dead following high-speed police chase

Suspects were wearing tactical gear, carrying assault rifles, police say

By Dylan Stableford

At least 14 people were killed and 17 others wounded when gunmen opened fire at the Inland Regional Center Wednesday, triggering a massive manhunt that ended with two suspects dead after a high-speed police chase. Follow Yahoo News' live blog for the latest information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXVDqmCEdX0

http://news.yahoo.com/canadian-model-fighting-isis-syria-202503999.html
QuoteThe Canadian Model Fighting ISIS In Syria Tells Us What It's Like to Be On the Frontline

Allan Smith

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-N22MbYmNE

Hanna Bohman has been fighting ISIS in Syria on and off for most of 2015, and she hasn't been impressed.

She said that as fighters, the Islamic State militants have "mostly been a disappointment."

"Their numbers don't seem that big and they're eager to run away," she told INSIDER in an email. "I suspect most of the experienced fighters have been consolidated in Mosul and Raqqa, and that's where the big fights will be."

She said that ISIS has successfully made themselves seem bigger and scarier than they are in reality through social media.

Although the group recently claimed responsibility for terrorist attacks that killed hundreds in Paris, Beirut, Baghdad, and Ankara and over the Sinai Peninsula, its promise of statehood is quickly diminishing, The New York Times reports.

"They're not some giant, holy juggernaut of ultimate damnation for unbelievers," she said. "They're just a bunch of filthy, mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging pigs who run away at the first sign of resistance. Really nothing more than a thorn in the side.".....

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

How many times does this have to happen?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Till we wipe ourselves out, I reckon.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

It really is tragic that so many Americans are catastrophically stubborn when it comes to the widespread ownership of firearms.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Oscar Pistorius's Manslaughter charge has been upgraded to Murder of Prosecution appeal, so he may get a minimum of 15 years.

Also the UK Government has voted to extend airstrikes into Syria to take on ISIL. I actually finally agree that this is the right choice. They have to be stopped and taken down. I dont agree with David Cameron's comment that those who would vote against the strikes were "Terrorist Sympathisers". He probablly lost a few votes with that comment

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Dec 03, 2015, 12:49:46 PMAlso the UK Government has voted to extend airstrikes into Syria to take on ISIL.

They've actually started already. First strike was launched this morning.

While I still think it would be a huge mistake to go in on the ground, I do think airstrikes are warranted. We need to help these countries help themselves.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Sounds like a terrorist attack to me, their names hint strongly at that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34991855

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 03, 2015, 01:00:28 PM
Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Dec 03, 2015, 12:49:46 PMAlso the UK Government has voted to extend airstrikes into Syria to take on ISIL.

While I still think it would be a huge mistake to go in on the ground, I do think airstrikes are warranted. We need to help these countries help themselves.

They must have had it all in place, for when it poss went there way. I agree at this time, we dont need to put in ground forces. If we were part of an international ground force army, then yes, but atm no.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-up-to-20-shot-in-san-bernardino-active-shooter-sought-20151202-story.html

The husband was actually American. No news on motive yet though and another report says they weren't being watched for radicalization.

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Dec 03, 2015, 02:11:02 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 03, 2015, 01:00:28 PM

They must have had it all in place, for when it poss went there way. I agree at this time, we dont need to put in ground forces. If we were part of an international ground force army, then yes, but atm no.

A more precise ground operation would be more appropriate than just bombing IMHO. If they have actual targets, they could attempt to deal with it with cleaner operations. Bombing wont help anything other than alienate the people and cause a bigger influx of refugees.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 03, 2015, 02:20:16 PMA more precise ground operation would be more appropriate than just bombing IMHO. If they have have actual targets, they could attempt to deal with it with cleaner operations. Bombing wont help anything other than alienate the people and cause a bigger influx of refugees.

I just think going in on the ground will create more of a mess than it solves. Look at Afghanistan and Iraq.

Compare that to Libya, where we drew the line at carrying out air strikes in support of indigenous forces on the ground. Gaddafi still got deposed, and we didn't get stuck with a hopeless ground war that we won't ever win. The country's still a mess, of course, but at least we aren't embroiled in it and they're now free to sort it out for themselves. That may sound harsh but all that going in and trying to fix it for them seems to achieve is create more radicals who hate the West for our interference.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Pretty sure I read the US has their special forces on the ground in the region already.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 03, 2015, 02:27:09 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 03, 2015, 02:20:16 PMA more precise ground operation would be more appropriate than just bombing IMHO. If they have have actual targets, they could attempt to deal with it with cleaner operations. Bombing wont help anything other than alienate the people and cause a bigger influx of refugees.

I just think going in on the ground will create more of a mess than it solves. Look at Afghanistan and Iraq.

It's different with Islamic State, because it wouldn't be an occupying action. The countries in question have their governments, it wouldn't be a question of deposing a Taliban or Saddam Hussein and implanting a democractic system in their place - they're being invaded by a force they can't repel.

The problem is that the state military forces in the principal theatres, Iraq and Syria, are massively overwhelmed, due in large part to us - Iraq's military was largely disbanded during western occupation, and Assad's regime was already stretched thin fighting rebels that we've been supporting. It's those opportunities that allowed Islamic State to gain such a foothold.

There's no getting away from the fact that bombing is an indiscriminate way of waging war. The vast majority of drone strikes kill unintended targets, according to that report a couple of months ago - including hundreds of innocent civilians, and that Doctors Without Borders hospital. Pursuing IS in that way is only going to further alienate our culture from theirs, and provide future recruits for militant NGOs like Islamic State. Given the decimated state of national state military forces in the region, I'd imagine the countries would need to be absolutely blitzed to allow a victory for government forces - so it'd be a pyrrhic one.

Really there should have been a ground force assembled right when Islamic State was developing a territorial foothold, but the stigma of Bush-era foreign policy is making western powers reluctant to put boots on the ground in the Middle East. There's also the political dilemma of Syria, because of the western/Russian deadlock over Assad's regime, which I think might be the main problem. If we could only fight a ground war in Iraq, it'd mean securing the border with a vulnerable garrison until Assad, Putin or some rebel group finished off Islamic State in Syria.

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

Who voted for IS strikes in your area?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34987921

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed