In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,416,959 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I'm not concerned about this shooting. We will endure another month or so of crying about gun laws, only for people to forget it all happened before the beginning of November and go back to worrying about ISIS. Mark my words.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Don't we need more and stronger security? The more police and guards that we have on the parole, the less shootings we have.

Gate

Gate

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Oct 02, 2015, 08:44:52 PM
Don't we need more and stronger security? The more police and guards that we have on the parole, the less shootings we have.

Yeah because TSA and the Air Marshals were really successful.

Obama hit the nail on the head. This has become "routine" and we're all "numb" to it. America is too f**king arrogant to give up her guns. Its sickening.

Valaquen

Valaquen

How's that working out so far?

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I was mainly talking about if we had police and guards everywhere. Like if you go outside, there always on parole on the streets 24/7. You see police everywhere. We don't need to ban guns, we just need much more stronger security.

Gate

Gate

So we need to hire more unqualified psychopaths to shoot more civilians?

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Valaquen on Oct 02, 2015, 09:26:03 PM

How's that working out so far?
Yea I think he's forgetting that we have added a ton of security since 2001 and it's still happening. If it's getting worse or not I'm not certain but the brutality of the crimes seem to be. What's sicking is that it's really is just a few that do this. You can't defend against all of them but almost every time there is always hints about what's going on and thankfully some people tell the authorities so these people can get help. Just give it some thought, most people are good and what is needed is reasonable accountability so that we can prevent weapons of mass murder from getting into the hands of dangerous people. Yet even simple changes are deemed unreasonable by so many.

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Oct 02, 2015, 09:31:14 PM
I was mainly talking about if we had police and guards everywhere. Like if you go outside, there always on parole on the streets 24/7. You see police everywhere. We don't need to ban guns, we just need much more stronger security.
Dude, that's an Empire and in fact they're places like that. One places is called Brazil and from the people I chat with who live there, it's not all that great.

PVTDukeMorrison

PVTDukeMorrison

If you honestly think the US will ever enforce any sort of gun control, let alone a gun ban, you're completely off your rocker. First of all, who would confiscate all the guns already in circulation? Having a police force going around taking peoples guns would be a bloodbath for both sides, and many military personnel have their own private collection of firearms so good luck having them seize the populations weapons.

But lets say that by some miracle every gun in the US magically disappears, know what happens? Yes gun crimes go down, but every other violent crime starts to sky rocket, with more and more people getting stabbed with knives or beaten to death with blunt weapons (And look! People are still getting shot with illegally acquired firearms anyway!). And if people really wanted to kill as many people as they could all they have to do is build a bomb, do you know how easy that is? A quick google search brings up everything I need to make the same type of bomb the Boston Bombers used. $150 and a quick trip to Walmart and I have everything I need, all I have to is leave a gym bag in the middle of a school gymnasium during an assembly and there you go, massive casualties, no guns required.

Guns are not the problem in the US, it's just a sad fact of life that most of these people use them (often acquired illegally) to preform their heinous acts. You wanna solve this issue? Stop putting the blame on guns and invest in some mental health programs.

chrisr232007

chrisr232007

Quote from: PVTDukeMorrison on Oct 02, 2015, 11:49:53 PM
If you honestly think the US will ever enforce any sort of gun control, let alone a gun ban, you're completely off your rocker. First of all, who would confiscate all the guns already in circulation? Having a police force going around taking peoples guns would be a bloodbath for both sides, and many military personnel have their own private collection of firearms so good luck having them seize the populations weapons.

But lets say that by some miracle every gun in the US magically disappears, know what happens? Yes gun crimes go down, but every other violent crime starts to sky rocket, with more and more people getting stabbed with knives or beaten to death with blunt weapons (And look! People are still getting shot with illegally acquired firearms anyway!). And if people really wanted to kill as many people as they could all they have to do is build a bomb, do you know how easy that is? A quick google search brings up everything I need to make the same type of bomb the Boston Bombers used. $150 and a quick trip to Walmart and I have everything I need, all I have to is leave a gym bag in the middle of a school gymnasium during an assembly and there you go, massive casualties, no guns required.

Guns are not the problem in the US, it's just a sad fact of life that most of these people use them (often acquired illegally) to preform their heinous acts. You wanna solve this issue? Stop putting the blame on guns and invest in some mental health programs.

Amazing post and agree 100%

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: PVTDukeMorrison on Oct 02, 2015, 11:49:53 PM
Yea, like we haven't heard that one before. That's the same thing gun advocates say after every shooting; that and "now's not the time to discuss guns". However, I don't think people of the united states are as dystopian as you think. We are good people and follow the rule of law with good reason. Plus pointing at knives and other objects makes no sense, in which way are they worse than guns? Being punched in the face has to be a better option than being shot in a hail of gun fire. You can't throw a knife through a wall or over far distances. A lot of knives are banned here and over seas but for the average thug they are not practical weapons of mass murder. Guns are in a class all by themselves. Oh and bombs are what terrorist use to cause terror; mass shootings tend to be of a more personal matter.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/02/us/oregon-shooting-terrorism-gun-violence/index.html?sr=fb100215oregongraph1241PMVODtop&linkId=17543986

Oh and here's the stats on gun violence and terrorism. Over the last 10 years 36 homicides have been ruled acts of terrorism that happened on US soil.

The truth is that anything can be a weapon but guns are just too damn good at what they do.

PVTDukeMorrison

PVTDukeMorrison

Quote from: whiterabbit on Oct 03, 2015, 12:15:43 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/02/us/oregon-shooting-terrorism-gun-violence/index.html?sr=fb100215oregongraph1241PMVODtop&linkId=17543986
Now ask yourself this, how many of those deaths involving firearms are suicides? How many are the result of accidental discharge? How many of them were bought illegally? How many were self defense? How many were in "gun free zones" where people have no way of defending themselves?

As for shootings being more personal, like I said, they use the gun because it's available. Take that away, and people will get creative.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: PVTDukeMorrison on Oct 03, 2015, 12:29:05 AM
Now ask yourself this, how many of those deaths involving firearms are suicides? How many are the result of accidental discharge? How many of them were bought illegally? How many were self defense? How many were in "gun free zones" where people have no way of defending themselves?

As for shootings being more personal, like I said, they use the gun because it's available. Take that away, and people will get creative.
I posted that because someone asked how many deaths were considered terrorist acts.

Still I think if there was an atmosphere of change, things would change. The 94 assault ban didn't stop gun violence, people turned to handguns and high capacity magazines to compensate. Of course 10 years isn't long enough and all guns before were grandfathered in. However one thing that did happen; crime started to go down. Shootings were about the same but for what ever reason it did feel like things got safer. I don't know, maybe people kept an extra lock on the gun case just in case.

Public policy should be to reduce the number of firearms in circulation and considering that they are dangerous in the hands of the wrong people that would include stricter regulation. However that doesn't mean making a db of everyone that has a gun that can be publicly accessed. I still can't believe someone thought that was a good idea.

The PredBen

The PredBen

Quote from: PVTDukeMorrison on Oct 03, 2015, 12:29:05 AM

Thing is, a mass murderer is going to have a much harder time mass murdering with a steak knife than an assault rifle. And while some could make a bomb, making an effective bomb that does massive damage isn't as easy as making a defective one. Also no guns means no accidental deaths from firearms. That being said, I do not support a gun ban, and think such an idea isn't even feasible in the United States.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

How hard is it to maintain firearms? Guns are relativity simple to use but with out parts and proper maintenance they do become less effective at there purpose. I don't think anyone is thinking about banning firearms; it's about putting tighter controls on those that should not be near guns and holding irresponsible gun owners and sellers accountable. In any case we should adopt a new policy going forward. I mean we aren't the wild west; we have culture and order. Many believe guns are needed for home self defense but that is totally exaggerated. A taser would do the job just as fast and is a lot less lethal. Maybe money should be invested in making a rapid fire taser that could substitute a traditional fire arm. Hunters can still have their riffles. When you really think about it, most gun violence is done with much more manageable handguns. Which then brings up the problem with high capacity magazines.

Oh and you know how dumb gun law is, someone found a gun in the rubbish pile a few months ago and turned it into the police, well after 90 days they called him and asked if he wanted it since no one made a claim and it wasn't used in a crime. He said no thanks but I mean come on, am I wrong for thinking that was at least a little odd?

razeak

razeak

Never mind that there are already thousands of gun regulations and laws.

Never mind that Oregon closed the gun show loophole.

Never mind that Oregon prevents those that have been found to be in a mental state from purchasing firearms.

Never mind that a background check was performed to purchase the firearms.

Never mind it was a gun free zone.

Never mind it is illegal to murder people.

The shooter still did the crime.  Assuming that people support gun ownership are "only" doing it because of arrogance is bulverism and doesn't legitimately debate any gun argument points and counterpoints. It's merely applying a label and disregarding anything being said by the opposing side. It adds zero to the discussion.

I'm alive today thanks to legal defensive gun use.

Brandishing a firearm is most likely the vast majority of defensive gun use and will not attract media attention.  Either way, it mattered to me and my family 100%.

Quote from: Gate on Oct 02, 2015, 09:24:24 PM

Yeah because TSA and the Air Marshals were really successful.

Obama hit the nail on the head. This has become "routine" and we're all "numb" to it. America is too f**king arrogant to give up her guns. Its sickening.

Where is the failure of the TSA and Air Marshals other than being an annoyance?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed