Damon Lindelof Paradise Script

Started by ikarop, Nov 14, 2012, 09:27:27 PM

Author
Damon Lindelof Paradise Script (Read 51,691 times)

DestinyCaptain

The entire approach to both scripts, for me, is wrong. They both have done a serviceable job here. It's just the details of the story that I find supremely lacking. I suspect this is mostly on Scott's head. We know that both writer's worked heavily with him on their scripts. We also know from the interviews and the extras crap on the BluRay, that Ridley was driving the buss. I honestly find this movie to be equal parts Alien3 and 4. I think it lacks the intelligence and simplicity of the first two. One think that struck me was how powerful the full TED speech was. It establishes character, tone, and much of the story yet to come. It should have been at the beginning of the movie instead of the sacrifice scene. It was too on the nose. It was too CSI. It was too early to reveal the big blue men. It should have gone straight from the full speach to David watching it on a monitor, then the David stuff. Get rid of the retread of the AVP assembly scene it's dull and adds nothing in the way of character set up.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

We don't even know whether this is legitimate, and even if it is, where it fits into the production. I find it hard to believe that the whole finding evidence of terraforming and then taking off of the helmets scene was impromptu.

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: DestinyCapt on Nov 15, 2012, 05:47:36 AM
The sacrifice scene. It was too on the nose. It was too CSI. It was too early to reveal the big blue men. It should have gone straight from the full speach to David watching it on a monitor, then the David stuff. Get rid of the retread of the AVP assembly scene it's dull and adds nothing in the way of character set up.

The modern-bullshit CSI aspects of this movie bother me greatly. They were in Spaihts' draft aswell.

Anyway this wasn't/isn't/will never be the ALIEN movie I want to see.

I think if Damon Lindelof put as much effort into his writing and coming up with whacked out ideas as he does being a crafty marketing and P.R man, then his work would probably be significantly better.

RagingDragon

Good lord I'm beginning to agree about the CAPS. I haven't read as many scripts as some here, but I can't even read the first page without being buried in it.

It quickly makes the emphasis lose meaning, especially as he seems to use it to emphasize all kinds of different things.. physical aspects, emotion, and even concepts... like this for example:

QuoteNOW A WRINKLED HAND enters frame, TREMBLING slightly as it
taps the PAD, turning it OFF and SMASHING US BACK TO:

Why? Why capitalize PAD and OFF? Or the 'NOW A WRINKLED HAND?' Unfortunately for me, it reflects the simplicity and heavy-handedness of the film in trying to get things across. Not naturally, but forced. I've read much better scripts, both in their dialogue and narrative as well as writing style. The caps and sound effects and lack of any real depth rather than saying 'THIS HAS DEPTH' just seem amateur to me.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Intentional or not, I think the title of this thread has the best, BEST pun on Damon's name we have yet.

RagingDragon

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Nov 15, 2012, 05:41:19 PM
Intentional or not, I think the title of this thread has the best, BEST pun on Damon's name we have yet.
IGG NOTH .. DAEEMON HAER!

Spoiler
[close]

ikarop

ikarop

Now you will never know if it was unintentional or not.

Spoiler
It was.
Spoiler
Or was it?
Spoiler
Nah.
[close]
[close]
[close]

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

:laugh: Fantastic.

T Dog

T Dog

I don't get it, I'm not a very subtle person, can someone spell it out for me? Seriously.

RagingDragon

Quote from: ikarop on Nov 15, 2012, 07:03:27 PM
Now you will never know if it was unintentional or not.

Spoiler
It was.
Spoiler
Or was it?
Spoiler
Nah.
[close]
[close]
[close]

The ambiguity... classic Lindelof! Such mystery!

WHAT DOES IT MEEEEAANNN?!?!

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: tmjhur on Nov 15, 2012, 07:29:46 PM
I don't get it, I'm not a very subtle person, can someone spell it out for me? Seriously.
Title was mispelled as 'Daemon Lindelof'. Corrected now.

Xenomorphine

Late to the party, but as someone who has written scripts, I'd agree completely with SM on the issue of capitals. They're meant to be used to introduce specific new characters or objects. Things like that. Here, they're massively over-used.

And when it comes to prose, less can often be more.

zuzuki

zuzuki

This is pretty much useless as it doesn't seem to be the final draft, not to mention there is no confirmation it is real. The last shooting script,that is the one we need

Virgil

Virgil

Quote from: zuzuki on Nov 16, 2012, 01:39:36 PM
This is pretty much useless as it doesn't seem to be the final draft, not to mention there is no confirmation it is real. The last shooting script,that is the one we need

I'd say the opposite. Around 90% of the dialogue and action seen on screen appears in this script. Even the elements that aren't in the film (Shaw running over Fifield, the mulitple Engineer's beginning, the alternative design of the Hammerpede)  are things we already knew about.

I'd be more interested to read his 160 page script.

zuzuki

zuzuki

^^^  that was the fake one that leaked a couple of days ago.
But seeing this isn't the final draft we still don't know what exactly was cut from the final movie,what was re-arranged. that's what i'm interested in, not if this version matches the movie

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed