Ridley Scott talks Prometheus 2

Started by zuzuki, Oct 12, 2012, 06:12:16 AM

Author
Ridley Scott talks Prometheus 2 (Read 26,994 times)

Nightmare Asylum

acredibleresource, you are aware that you can type your text beneath the quote that you are responding to, right? I just noticed that you always have it above, and I never actually realize that your post is a response to someone else's statement until afterwards :)

Eva

Eva

Quote from: RagingDragon on Oct 26, 2012, 05:49:22 PM
http://cdn.crushable.com/files/2012/08/get-in-losers-were-going-to-do-science.jpg
:D

Considering how often I confuse general relativity with special relativity (and this thread is no exception), I think I'll just take the bus - I won't stand the mockery from Techwiz Tony and Brainy Bruce  :P

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Eva on Oct 26, 2012, 06:36:57 AM
With that said - an outside camera traveling at the same speed as the ship, would just show the ship and the backdrop of thousands of remote stars, even at FTL speeds. No swooshing light effects like when the Falcon goes into hyperspace - the stars are waaaay to far away to display this effect.  :)
Doppler shift all up ins, which was actually in the script for Alien but not done in the effects -- stars ahead of you would appear bluer, stars behind redder.

Eva

Eva

Quote from: SiL on Oct 27, 2012, 10:12:21 PM
With that said - an outside camera traveling at the same speed as the ship, would just show the ship and the backdrop of thousands of remote stars, even at FTL speeds. No swooshing light effects like when the Falcon goes into hyperspace - the stars are waaaay to far away to display this effect.  :)
Doppler shift all up ins, which was actually in the script for Alien but not done in the effects -- stars ahead of you would appear bluer, stars behind redder.

Hmm interesting - I wonder if the effect would be pronounced enough, to make a hot star emitting blue light appear red and the opposite for stars emitting red light...

SiL

SiL

Yup. You apparently only need a redshift of .75 to go from blue to red -- that's subluminal speeds.

http://wolframalpha.com if you wanna play around.

Eva

Eva

The dots are starting to connect inside my mind now. I remember watching a show on Discovery, essentially centered around Hubble and how astronomers and astrophysicists today are developing a better understanding of the Universe, based on his legacy. I'm fairly certain that they explained the phenomenon 'redshift', when visualizing how we can tell that the universe is expanding in all directions at an increased rate.

LarsVader

LarsVader

Prometheus concept art showing moons and such, but most of us know that it was to take place on LV-426 at some point in development anyways.

acrediblesource

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 27, 2012, 03:06:42 AM
acredibleresource, you are aware that you can type your text beneath the quote that you are responding to, right? I just noticed that you always have it above, and I never actually realize that your post is a response to someone else's statement until afterwards :)

All this time i thought it was the other way around! Cant you just flip upside down when you read my ripleys?

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Eva on Oct 28, 2012, 01:40:24 PM
The dots are starting to connect inside my mind now. I remember watching a show on Discovery, essentially centered around Hubble and how astronomers and astrophysicists today are developing a better understanding of the Universe, based on his legacy. I'm fairly certain that they explained the phenomenon 'redshift', when visualizing how we can tell that the universe is expanding in all directions at an increased rate.
Exactly. By examining the colour spectrum of a distant star we can determine its composition, and then from the redshift/blueshift we can determine how fast it's moving away from, or towards, us.

Prime113

Prime113

Quote from: acrediblesource on Oct 28, 2012, 10:29:47 PM

All this time i thought it was the other way around! Cant you just flip upside down when you read my ripleys?

Read your Ripleys?  :o :o

:laugh: I mess with ya, man.

acrediblesource

Quote from: Prime113 on Oct 29, 2012, 11:54:10 AM
Quote from: acrediblesource on Oct 28, 2012, 10:29:47 PM

Read your Ripleys?  :o :o

:laugh: I mess with ya, man.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: SiL on Oct 27, 2012, 10:12:21 PM

I was thinking more about whether there would be any parallaxing evident if the camera was moving with the ship.There is math (projective geometry is the discipline I believe) that can tell you if an object of X distance would appear to move against a further object shot from a camera moving at Y speed.

How close would the nearest star have to be to a camera travelling in excess of twice the speed of light to appear to move within the frame?

I am off to nut this out... see you in 2018. ;D

SM

SM

Quote from: SiL on Oct 29, 2012, 09:11:14 AM
Quote from: Eva on Oct 28, 2012, 01:40:24 PM
Exactly. By examining the colour spectrum of a distant star we can determine its composition, and then from the redshift/blueshift we can determine how fast it's moving away from, or towards, us.

Towards us???

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: marrerom on Oct 24, 2012, 07:38:48 PM
what about the MASSIVE problem of LV-223 being able to support life, containing multiple Engineer ships, pyramids, and vials of black goo, and not ever being mentioned in the Alien series? Its in the same freaking system as Lv-246!

I mean, think about it, why would the company terraform LV-246 and not also terraform Lv-223? By the time Aliens takes place the company should have been all over the crash site of the Prometheus and known all about the Engineers, their ships, and the black goo.

THAT is what the sequel needs to address. Not shaw and david going to the home world of the Engineers.

I agree. They need to tie up loose ends. I would wager that the Colony ship in Covenant,
Spoiler
If the spoilers are true and they have been awoken prior to arriving at their intended destination, then I wouldn't be surprised if we find out their intended destination, which they are routed to at the end of Covenant, is LV223. Which insinuates that the company sent them there intentionally?
[close]
This would be a good way to tie up some lose ends, because the series is becoming kinda rampant with them.

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: CainsSon on Jan 31, 2017, 08:04:59 PM
Quote from: marrerom on Oct 24, 2012, 07:38:48 PM
what about the MASSIVE problem of LV-223 being able to support life, containing multiple Engineer ships, pyramids, and vials of black goo, and not ever being mentioned in the Alien series? Its in the same freaking system as Lv-246!

I mean, think about it, why would the company terraform LV-246 and not also terraform Lv-223? By the time Aliens takes place the company should have been all over the crash site of the Prometheus and known all about the Engineers, their ships, and the black goo.

THAT is what the sequel needs to address. Not shaw and david going to the home world of the Engineers.

I agree. They need to tie up loose ends. I would wager that the Colony ship in Covenant,
Spoiler
If the spoilers are true and they have been awoken prior to arriving at their intended destination, then I wouldn't be surprised if we find out their intended destination, which they are routed to at the end of Covenant, is LV223. Which insinuates that the company sent them there intentionally?
[close]
This would be a good way to tie up some lose ends, because the series is becoming kinda rampant with them.

Necroed hard here Cain. 4 Years!

I'd be open to this, even if it's a throw away line or short conversation.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed