Ridley Scott talks Prometheus 2

Started by zuzuki, Oct 12, 2012, 06:12:16 AM

Author
Ridley Scott talks Prometheus 2 (Read 26,989 times)

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: SM on Oct 26, 2012, 05:37:31 AM
It's using FTL travel.

Yes, I accept this.  Nevertheless, it is still fun to figure out the ramifications if the Prometheus was limited to relativistic (sub-luminal) travel.  IMHO, this would made for a much more compelling narrative.  Just read Joe Haldeman's "The Forever War" to understand the intriguing story possibilities that are opened up, if they just followed the friggin' rules!   ;D :P

"Gravity...it is not just a good idea, it is the Law".   ;)

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Remember the first shot we get of the Prometheus; it's just a small speck of light steaming across a backdrop of stars. Sure, it's just an effect, but then again there it is on screen - the Prometheus moving through space at whatever speed it is meant to be going to get to LV-223, and that speed must be sub-light for that shot to make any sense.

Unless of course it was slowing down, and that makes total sense and I'll shut up now. ;D

SM

SM

The Nostromo and Auriga are seen chugging along at FTL speeds.

Eva

Eva

Hi Deuterium

Yeah, I can't fault the chart you've made, but as SM writes, they are clearly on the FTL wagon -> 34.5 light years in 2 years and I'm thinking this is Earth time, not ship time. I believe the dates we know from background files on Project Prometheus confirms this. As general relativity dictates, it requires an almost infinite amount of energy to accelerate an object with mass to light speed, so I'm guessing they found a short cut - manipulating the space-time fabric surrounding the ship or something. A Voodoo FTL drive :)

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Oct 26, 2012, 06:02:58 AM
Remember the first shot we get of the Prometheus; it's just a small speck of light steaming across a backdrop of stars. Sure, it's just an effect, but then again there it is on screen - the Prometheus moving through space at whatever speed it is meant to be going to get to LV-223, and that speed must be sub-light for that shot to make any sense.

Unless of course it was slowing down, and that makes total sense and I'll shut up now. ;D

That's what I'm thinking - it's slowing down. When the ship enters the planetary system, it starts to bank forward from the deceleration, making David alert of what's going on. With that said - an outside camera traveling at the same speed as the ship, would just show the ship and the backdrop of thousands of remote stars, even at FTL speeds. No swooshing light effects like when the Falcon goes into hyperspace - the stars are waaaay to far away to display this effect.  :)

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I think this might be another movie that Fox will put on hold for a while. Look at Predators 2, we get small amount of info once and while, but no sequel after two years later.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: SM on Oct 26, 2012, 06:08:06 AMThe Nostromo and Auriga are seen chugging along at FTL speeds.

I had always assumed that the Nostromo was stopped or just cruising, having come out of ludicrous speed before waking the crew. I can't properly recall A:R but I have a feeling it's the same kind of thing - the ship slowed for some reason, in the case of A:R the arrival of the Betty.

Quote from: Eva on Oct 26, 2012, 06:36:57 AMWith that said - an outside camera traveling at the same speed as the ship, would just show the ship and the backdrop of thousands of remote stars, even at FTL speeds.

Too much projective geometry for me - I'll have to take your word on that one. :)

whiterabbit

Remember kids, it's not the ship that moves but the space around it.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Oct 26, 2012, 07:04:48 AM
I had always assumed that the Nostromo was stopped or just cruising
It's moving FTL the entire second half of the film.

QuoteI can't properly recall A:R but I have a feeling it's the same kind of thing - the ship slowed for some reason, in the case of A:R the arrival of the Betty.
And then moves FTL through the solar system.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: SiL on Oct 26, 2012, 08:17:01 AMIt's moving FTL the entire second half of the film.

Back to the old freezerinos. Of course, how could I forget.

LarsVader

LarsVader

Quote from: Deuterium on Oct 26, 2012, 05:25:47 AM
Again, I accept if the Prometheus is using FTL (magic) propulsion, then the calcs do not apply.  However, without breaking the laws of Physics, the total ship-board travel time experienced  by the Prometheus crew would be 7.3 years, whereas as the Earth-based (inertial) observers would experience a total of 41.4 years elapsed time.
I'd like to point out that those numbers collide with Ripleys promise to be home for her daughters birthday.  ;)

Eva

Eva

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Oct 26, 2012, 07:04:48 AM
Quote from: Eva on Oct 26, 2012, 06:36:57 AMWith that said - an outside camera traveling at the same speed as the ship, would just show the ship and the backdrop of thousands of remote stars, even at FTL speeds.

Too much projective geometry for me - I'll have to take your word on that one. :)

Just imagine sitting in the cockpit of a plane, flying at supersonic speed. The clouds far away in the horizon, close in on you very slowly, despite the high speed of the plane. Same principle, only most stars by far, are much, much farther away, relatively speaking.  :)

marrerom

marrerom

Hi Eva!

Well...it does depend on the degree of your suspension of disbelief.  If you accept FTL propulsion for the Prometheus, than anything is possible.  Unfortunately, this also raises the NOT INCONSEQUENTIAL problem of time-travel to a reference frame in the past...and all the potential paradoxes that would ensue.

However, if we limit the Prometheus to subluminal, yet relativistic travel (i.e., velocity at a high percentage of "c"), and using a quite reasonable assumption of 1g acceleration outbound, with a turn-around at mid-point, followed by deceleration at 1g, then here is the calculated time (proper-time, as perceived on-board the ship) versus the elapsed time on Earth:

Note that my calcs are based on General Relativity, and take into account the acceleration and deceleration maneuvers, versus a continous, constant speed (which is simply calculated based on the Lorentz equations of SR).  So, to reiterate, this is a much more "realistic" scenario.

Again, I accept if the Prometheus is using FTL (magic) propulsion, then the calcs do not apply.  However, without breaking the laws of Physics, the total ship-board travel time experienced  by the Prometheus crew would be 7.3 years, whereas as the Earth-based (inertial) observers would experience a total of 41.4 years elapsed time.

If we allow the Prometheus to accelerate and decelerate at greater than 1g, then both the proper-time (ship-time) as well as the Earth-based elapsed time would be reduced.

^This. This right here is why I love this site  :D

I love it when the fans apply science to the films. Like how someone (SM?) figured out the exact date Alien:Res took place  by charting out the orbit of the planets at that time... Awesome

RagingDragon

:D

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Reminds me of the old gamegossip days.

Making me all nostalgic in Africa.  :(

acrediblesource

Her 11th birthday. Horrible mother, left her daughter all alone when she was -41 years before she was born. :P
I bet you she'll blame someone for that screw up! bwa haha!

Quote from: LarsVader on Oct 26, 2012, 02:01:27 PM
I'd like to point out that those numbers collide with Ripleys promise to be home for her daughters birthday.  ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed