Thread of Unbearable Cuteness

Started by Cvalda, Jul 09, 2012, 09:16:30 PM

Author
Thread of Unbearable Cuteness (Read 59,892 times)

Xenodog

Xenodog

Kimarhi that's awesome!
(But the cub you posted is a spotted hyaena, they are born black. ;) )
Did the Striped Hyaena often interact with people at military bases and what were your own thoughts on them?

The dik-dik and fennec fox are also pretty cool.  ;D

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I meant spotted.  I thought spotted but for some reason I typed out striped.  Striped are supposed to be smaller, but I never actually saw one of those.

*shrugs*

One of the hyenas got lose on our camp and was running around all over the place.  There is a town close to Dire Dawa called Harar that the hyenas are so used to people (I wouldn't say tame) that you can hand feed them.  Lots of our guys on facebook have pictures with them feeding the hyenas bacon like Lady/Tramp with their spaghetti.

The last trip out there was before I arrived though, so I never got to go.

I was doing one of the well drilling missions when I first got there and went to take a leak (the well drilling missions are in the middle of nowhere in Somaliland).  I heard the cackling laugh they have and it sounded pretty close, grabbed my flashlight and was shining it all around and saw a huge pair of glowing eyes directly in front of me.  Needless to say I cut the leakage off pretty short and backed away slowly toward the camp.  It actually gets cold in Dire Dawa during winter (compared to Djibouti where it is always hot) and I threw a couple of pallets on the fire to keep the flames up.

Hyena give me the creeps.  The very first one I saw looked like a bear with a kid in its mouth.  In actuality it was just a big sumabitch with a dog in its jaws.  When I saw they are taller than my waist I really mean that first one's head was probably just under my rib cage.

Xenodog

Xenodog

Oh right, that makes more sense.
Yeah, I've heard / seen a lot about Harar, it looks like such a cool place.  :laugh:

And that's a crazy story; also that you saw one chow down on a dog!

AliceApocalypse

This guys saves a baby hummingbird :)

http://www.wimp.com/babyhummingbird/

EEV2650

EEV2650

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 23, 2013, 07:10:41 PM
Also full grown hyena are huge.  We had several at our camp in Ethiopia whose heads were well above my waist.  I'm 6'2".  The first time I saw one I dropped my mre on the ground because my brain couldn't comprehend what I was looking at.  TV doesn't do them justice, they can be monster sized.  I thought I was looking at a bear.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Haha, that's what the first one looked like minus the orc.

Or maybe the warg turned on the orc......and that is what I saw.

Master Chief

Master Chief

Quote from: AliceApocalypse on Jun 24, 2013, 02:06:51 PM

That was a cute little thing. :) The kid did a great job in rearing it.

EEV2650

EEV2650

Quote from: AliceApocalypse on Jun 24, 2013, 02:06:51 PM

So cute. I wonder if he ever released it into the wild. I'd be devestated in doing so.

Predator Queen

Predator Queen

Not a fan of Heterochromia iridum? 

Rong

Rong

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Predator Queen on Jul 02, 2013, 10:39:19 PM
Not a fan of Heterochromia iridum?
Not so much.

Especially when the eyes seem to be pointing in opposite directions.

Xenodog

Xenodog

the sugar glider cup...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed