Starmap: NOT an invitation - so what is it?

Started by 180924609, Jul 05, 2012, 09:18:26 PM

Author
Starmap: NOT an invitation - so what is it? (Read 28,719 times)

Xenobluntz

Quote from: 180924609 on Jul 12, 2012, 08:00:21 PM
So I was reading a story about the physics of corn starch on the BBC news website today, as you do, and discovered a link to this:

Cornstarch and low-frequency sound waves -> cornstarch monsters!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zoTKXXNQIU#ws

I wonder if the Prometheus effects team used this technique for the practical effect shots of the urn lids eroding/dancing/floating in real time, on-camera, without the need for CGI?

yup they did

Darth Vile

Quote from: Sgt. Apone on Jul 16, 2012, 06:38:03 AM
Quote from: Darth Vile on Jul 13, 2012, 11:08:17 AM

The company that infiltrated the Nostromo with an Android and sent the ship to the planet (with special orders) don't know what's going on in the events of Aliens??? Instead they sign off Burke as the company representative.... and Burke's insidious plan is to recruit a group of idioctic marines? Right...

Or, a select few knew about what exactly was going on in the first film. So they decided to send the Nostromo to go check it out after they picked up a signal. After they found out that shit went down, they tried to cover their tracks. 57 years later, management changed. The people who were in the know during the events of Alien don't work there anymore so how would the company know now?
That's fine, but it's dependant on us/the audience filling in the blanks (or making excuses for gaps in logic) - which is what Prometheus is being criticised for... and of course come Alien 3 it looks like the company know exactly what's going on (but that's another can of worms)...

ChrisPachi

Quote from: 180924609 on Jul 12, 2012, 08:00:21 PMSo I was reading a story about the physics of corn starch

As you do. ;)

Seriously, thanks for posting it. I was wondering how they pulled that off.

SM

Quoteand of course come Alien 3 it looks like the company know exactly what's going on (but that's another can of worms)...

Not a can of worms.  By the end of Alien 3 they know what's happeneing after receiving data from the Sulaco and EEV.

RoaryUK

Quote from: SM on Jul 16, 2012, 11:00:33 PM
Quoteand of course come Alien 3 it looks like the company know exactly what's going on (but that's another can of worms)...

Not a can of worms.  By the end of Alien 3 they know what's happeneing after receiving data from the Sulaco and EEV.

I think the Company has always known what was going on, first recieving data from the Nostromo then the Sulaco and finally through the EEV, and just like any multi-million dollar corporation that probably had too much power, they used others to finally get what they wanted. 

Darth Vile

Quote from: RoaryUK on Jul 17, 2012, 02:47:32 PM
Quote from: SM on Jul 16, 2012, 11:00:33 PM

I think the Company has always known what was going on, first recieving data from the Nostromo then the Sulaco and finally through the EEV, and just like any multi-million dollar corporation that probably had too much power, they used others to finally get what they wanted.
I agree - my reading is that the company have always known. However, I don't think the respectice scripts fot Alien/Aliens do it justice.... to the point where it doesn't really make sense. I think most companies would just pay for a research team to go in, take control and claim the rights. Yes it could be argued that Weyland hired a bunch of goons, but in Prometheus it at least resembled a proper expedition.

episodenone

If you take the AvP movies into account -- wouldn't at least Yutani have been in the know for quite some time?

Kinda like the Terminator arm sitting in Teldine's lab [or whatever that company was called]?

Finally after a long time we have advanced space travel and now 2 + 2 finally = 4

So to me - the Company always knows more than we are shown - how much and by whom is the question.

SiL

Quote from: Darth Vile on Jul 17, 2012, 04:56:16 PM
I agree - my reading is that the company have always known. However, I don't think the respectice scripts fot Alien/Aliens do it justice.... to the point where it doesn't really make sense. I think most companies would just pay for a research team to go in, take control and claim the rights.
It's game time, kids. Tonight, it's "Spot the Hideous Flaw in Logic".

Your starter for ten:

"I think the Company has explicit knowledge. The films do not support this. Therefore the films are in error".

If your reading isn't supported by the text, your reading is wrong. It's that simple.

SM

:laugh:

episodenone

I guess what SiL is saying is that if it's not in the movie - then it simply didn't happen.  True enough.

But a good movie should spark the imagination and allow something implied to take root in your mind.

Vile might have been wrong in saying the film doesn't flesh out what he thinks it meant to but it's actually there.  I think he meant it the way I read his comment - which is that it is implied the Company knows more than it lets on.  And as I agree - he's not out of line - because we both "read" it the same way.

SiL

I'm saying what I said; one can't fault the films for not supporting one's reading.

It doesn't make sense to say the movies are full of plot holes or gaps in logic, if the holes and gaps in logic only exist because of people assuming something not actually in evidence.

DarthVile claims that the whole situation with Aliens is nonsensical because he's operating under the assumption that the Company and Burke explicitly knew about the Aliens. The movie, through its own dialogue and actions, shows this isn't the case. The film isn't faulty; DarthVile's assumptions are.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: SiL on Jul 18, 2012, 10:46:01 AM
I'm saying what I said; one can't fault the films for not supporting one's reading.

It doesn't make sense to say the movies are full of plot holes or gaps in logic, if the holes and gaps in logic only exist because of people assuming something not actually in evidence.

DarthVile claims that the whole situation with Aliens is nonsensical because he's operating under the assumption that the Company and Burke explicitly knew about the Aliens. The movie, through its own dialogue and actions, shows this isn't the case. The film isn't faulty; DarthVile's assumptions are.
So how the fuc*k do YOU explain Ash being on board the Nostromo? Happy coincidence? Apply that same logic to Prometheus. At least apply some consistency when trying to look through your rose tinted spectacles...

SiL

I can explain it by watching the movie.

They knew there was a signal of non-human origin that they wanted to investigate. They put Ash aboard to make sure it got done. The Special Order also said they wanted the ship to bring back a life-form, that's it. It doesn't specify what. For all the film presents, the Company may well have wanted a sample of whatever it was that made the signal.

If they knew about the Alien, capital A, it makes no sense to send a tug ship. If they knew the signal was from a Space Jockey, or Engineer, or whatever, then considering Prometheus, it also makes no sense they'd reroute the Nostromo. In either of those cases, they would've sent a dedicated team to investigate -- which is exactly what they do in Alien3 when the Company knows there's an Alien on Fiorina. They didn't just nudge the nearest Meals on Plasma Engines in its direction.

"something very familiar about all this..."

SM

srsly...

I guess some people are just into digging holes.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed