Starmap: NOT an invitation - so what is it?

Started by 180924609, Jul 05, 2012, 09:18:26 PM

Author
Starmap: NOT an invitation - so what is it? (Read 28,724 times)

Anonymous User

Quote from: Darth Vile on Jul 08, 2012, 08:28:51 PM
Quote from: Anonymous User on Jul 08, 2012, 07:22:15 PM
If you have to fill in the dots in order to understand a story, then it is called a "plot hole"
And perhaps those who need everything filled in "to understand a story" are just f**king morons???
You sound emotional for someone who seems to have managed to understand the entire movie without seeing any plot hole unlike some of us.

For me personally, I don't bother to fill in missing dots anymore. I even don't consider those as plot holes anymore as plot holes may eventually be fixed by editing or director cut.

I can't deny that this movie has an awesome CGI and special effects. It also has the same director which made two now classic scifi movies (Alien/Blade Runner) and potentially good actors/actresses. But it has one of the worst story telling. Crew who doesn't know each other until  after being woken up from their cryosleep two years into their mission? A scientist who smokes joint in his space suit? We are talking about a trillion dollar mission here; supposedly the most important mission in the history of humanity.

This is just a bad story telling which any editing won't be able to fix.

BANE

1) It's privately funded, and rushed because Weyland's almost dead.
2) Wow, a guy modified his suit. Call the movie police, we're dealing with insane levels of improbability here!
3) The most important mission privately funded by a man wanting not to make any further significant contributions to science, but who wants to grant a dying wish. A man who finds that all his vast wealth leaves him unfulfilled, and who is willing to sacrifice others to meet his maker and prolong his life. So while others may think that the mission is the most important in human history, it was all organized, financed and orchestrated behind the scenes by a man with a different mindset.

Darth Vile

Quote from: Anonymous User on Jul 09, 2012, 10:08:58 AM
Quote from: Darth Vile on Jul 08, 2012, 08:28:51 PM
Quote from: Anonymous User on Jul 08, 2012, 07:22:15 PM
If you have to fill in the dots in order to understand a story, then it is called a "plot hole"
And perhaps those who need everything filled in "to understand a story" are just f**king morons???
You sound emotional for someone who seems to have managed to understand the entire movie without seeing any plot hole unlike some of us.

For me personally, I don't bother to fill in missing dots anymore. I even don't consider those as plot holes anymore as plot holes may eventually be fixed by editing or director cut.

I can't deny that this movie has an awesome CGI and special effects. It also has the same director which made two now classic scifi movies (Alien/Blade Runner) and potentially good actors/actresses. But it has one of the worst story telling. Crew who doesn't know each other until  after being woken up from their cryosleep two years into their mission? A scientist who smokes joint in his space suit? We are talking about a trillion dollar mission here; supposedly the most important mission in the history of humanity.

This is just a bad story telling which any editing won't be able to fix.
Not emotional at all... quite chilled actually... I just think that anyone who truly doesn't get the story... and sees everything as a plot hole unless explained in detail, is better off probably just putting Prometheus to the side and sticking with somethng like Thor or Avengers Assemble - where people flying in the clouds, alien spaceships and hammers with the mass of a planet are just accepted as that part of that particular universe without question.

That's not to excuse Prometheus where there are some logic gaps or where clearly an exorcised scene, or piece of dialogue, has left some questions... but that can be applied to virtually every movie ever made (apart from the great movies where it doesn't matter as much)... and for me, no matter how much fun it is discussing it, things must be set in context and put into perspective. Arguing (as I've seen in the last 24hrs) that it's a plot hole/logic gap that Michael can function with his head removed from his body, or that his head hasn't moved position since the crash.... seems to me, just kind of pedantic and/or obtuse.

Anonymous User

Quote from: BLAIN on Jul 09, 2012, 10:52:10 AM
2) Wow, a guy modified his suit. Call the movie police, we're dealing with insane levels of improbability here!
3) The most important mission privately funded by a man wanting not to make any further significant contributions to science, but who wants to grant a dying wish. A man who finds that all his vast wealth leaves him unfulfilled, and who is willing to sacrifice others to meet his maker and prolong his life. So while others may think that the mission is the most important in human history, it was all organized, financed and orchestrated behind the scenes by a man with a different mindset.
Did Scott/Lindelof bother to develop the movie to explain such poor and rushed recruitment decision? Or did you just make it up based on your imagination? Is a joint smoking down the road bloke the best Weyland can afford with his money?

armageddon

Quote from: 180924609 on Jul 05, 2012, 09:18:26 PM
the system had a sun like ours and had a planet that could sustain life. Eh?!

Only because humans cannot breathe the air, doesn't mean the planet cannot sustain life.

Darth Vile

Quote from: Anonymous User on Jul 09, 2012, 12:39:04 PM
Did Scott/Lindelof bother to develop the movie to explain such poor and rushed recruitment decision? Or did you just make it up based on your imagination? Is a joint smoking down the road bloke the best Weyland can afford with his money?
Same can be applied to the colonial marines in Aliens - they were supposed to be an elite, but they were a bunch of idiots who had zero respect for the chain of command. Also, why was the man in charge (Gorman) a complete moron?

BANE

BANE

Quote from: Anonymous User on Jul 09, 2012, 12:39:04 PM
Weyland's secret intentions and disregard for their lives are explanation enough if you put two and two together. He used them as his puppets, essentially, to do what he (in his aged state) could not. To explore and to find. Why was it rushed? He was almost dead. We know that from the film. As for the recruitment being poor, Janek and the pilots aren't poor. Neither is Ford. Shaw and Holloway are the reason the expedition even occurred. The...mercenaries did their jobs. The only two choices that could be construed as poor are Milburn and Fifield, and that's only because they died doing something we as the audience knows they shouldn't be doing.

And as for the joint smoking guy, well, smoking marijuana recreationaly  hasn't stopped my friends from getting well paying jobs.

Anonymous User

Anonymous User

Quote from: Darth Vile on Jul 09, 2012, 12:41:13 PMSame can be applied to the colonial marines in Aliens - they were supposed to be an elite, but they were a bunch of idiots who had zero respect for the chain of command.
Have you seen the disappointment of the crew when they learned that Gorman had only done 2 combat jumps including that one and also when Gorman told them not to use their weapons when they got into the area where the colonists were located? That explains why the crew who were more experienced than Gorman subsequently lost their respect for him. You hate Gorman for it and build sympathy for the crew. The story tallies.

Quote from: Darth Vile on Jul 09, 2012, 12:41:13 PMAlso, why was the man in charge (Gorman) a complete moron?
It was Burke who introduced Gorman to Ripley. You can feel that the choice of inexperienced commander was deliberately done by by Burke who has his own agendas, or even the company, to ensure that they don't wipe the entire Aliens out and at least get one back to the base. You can see from the movie about Burke's hidden agenda. It is all in the script and the big screen.

Quote from: BLAIN on Jul 09, 2012, 12:57:36 PMWeyland's secret intentions and disregard for their lives are explanation enough if you put two and two together. He used them as his puppets, essentially, to do what he (in his aged state) could not. To explore and to find.
Is this part of the cut scenes?

Quote from: BLAIN on Jul 09, 2012, 12:57:36 PMWhy was it rushed? He was almost dead. We know that from the film.
We know he had only days to live but there is nothing explaining about rushing the recruitment or the mission. FYI, we also know that he can live for years as long as he stays in cryosleep.

Quote from: BLAIN on Jul 09, 2012, 12:57:36 PMAnd as for the joint smoking guy, well, smoking marijuana recreationaly  hasn't stopped my friends from getting well paying jobs.
I hope they are not highly skilled scientists smoking it during their work.

Darth Vile

Quote from: Anonymous User on Jul 09, 2012, 02:42:07 PM
Quote from: Darth Vile on Jul 09, 2012, 12:41:13 PMSame can be applied to the colonial marines in Aliens - they were supposed to be an elite, but they were a bunch of idiots who had zero respect for the chain of command.
Have you seen the disappointment of the crew when they learned that Gorman had only done 2 combat jumps including that one and also when Gorman told them not to use their weapons when they got into the area where the colonists were located? That explains why the crew who were more experienced than Gorman subsequently lost their respect for him. You hate Gorman for it and build sympathy for the crew. The story tallies.

Quote from: Darth Vile on Jul 09, 2012, 12:41:13 PMAlso, why was the man in charge (Gorman) a complete moron?
It was Burke who introduced Gorman to Ripley. You can feel that the choice of inexperienced commander was deliberately done by by Burke who has his own agendas, or even the company, to ensure that they don't wipe the entire Aliens out and at least get one back to the base. You can see from the movie about Burke's hidden agenda. It is all in the script and the big screen.
But that's you simply filling in gaps in Aliens that could be construed (if you were looking at it objectively) as logic holes and conveniences. Why would Burke (being the only one who believed Ripley's story) sabotage a mission that would severely jeopardize his own safety? It would be in his own interest to ensure that the mission was carried out correctly and with the right people.

Knowing that there was an alien spacecraft on the planet (with all that possible technology for commandeering) and the very high risk of deadly xenos (which they clearly wanted to get their hands on), why would they just send a bunch of hapless marines - who have itchy trigger fingers and nuclear weapons... and who don't get briefed until they are about to go down to the planet??? It's f**king stupid... Where were the scientists, the biologists etc. etc for a mission which would involve encountering aliens and alien technology??? See when you start to put the other movies under the same microscope; they produce the same results (even if ultimately 'better' movies).

Highland

Ya. Aliens has some nasty holes.

The whole "they are inside the room" thing still bugs me when I watch it. Like the whole complex is covered by chip board roofing.....?! :D

Anonymous User

Anonymous User

Quote from: Darth Vile on Jul 09, 2012, 02:57:34 PMBut that's you simply filling in gaps in Aliens that could be construed (if you were looking at it objectively) as logic holes and conveniences. Why would Burke (being the only one who believed Ripley's story) sabotage a mission that would severely jeopardize his own safety? It would be in his own interest to ensure that the mission was carried out correctly and with the right people.

Knowing that there was an alien spacecraft on the planet (with all that possible technology for commandeering) and the very high risk of deadly xenos (which they clearly wanted to get their hands on), why would they just send a bunch of hapless marines - who have itchy trigger fingers and nuclear weapons... and who don't get briefed until they are about to go down to the planet??? It's f**king stupid... Where were the scientists, the biologists etc. etc for a mission which would involve encountering aliens and alien technology??? See when you start to put the other movies under the same microscope; they produce the same results (even if ultimately 'better' movies).
Burke's motive? For money. Burke said it in the movie.

And also, Burke did not believe Ripley's story at first. He secretly sent some terraformers to the crash site to check it. And when they lost contact with terraformers, Burke was convinced that Ripley was right. He was the only one who knew about his secret order. He also insisted in joining the mission to ensure that he got a specimen back. It is all in the movie.

Cameron and the script writers wanted the audience to hate Burke. And I hated Burke for that.

Contrast that with the scene when the last Engineer woke up and went on killing spree. Why is that? What's the reason? Nothing was explained in the movie.

Is the audience supposed to speculate? And I hated Scott/Lindelof for that.

Quote from: Highland on Jul 09, 2012, 03:19:50 PM

The whole "they are inside the room" thing still bugs me when I watch it. Like the whole complex is covered by chip board roofing.....?! :D
Maybe you don't like the way the roofing was done in a supposedly civil building in a 1986 movie. But you cannot classify this a plot hole.

BANE

QuoteIs this part of the cut scenes?
No...Weyland hired them to find out if our makers were on the planet. So he could meet them and prolong his life. He used them for the grunt work.

QuoteWe know he had only days to live but there is nothing explaining about rushing the recruitment or the mission. FYI, we also know that he can live for years as long as he stays in cryosleep.
Well, to be fair he was on deaths bed when he made the hologram two years before they arrived, and at that point said he was probably going to be dead before they got there. This, it would seem, was part of the plan to conceal his true intentions (make them think he's dead). And staying in cryosleep indefinitely is hardly an existence anyone would want. Especially given how tolling waking up was shown to be, amplified further by his old age.

QuoteI hope they are not highly skilled scientists smoking it during their work
Fifield and Milburn weren't working, they were stranded and waiting for rescue, and stressed out. No work was being done.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Anonymous User on Jul 09, 2012, 03:25:31 PM

Maybe you don't like the way the roofing was done in a supposedly civil building in a 1986 movie. But you cannot classify this a plot hole.

Roofing does not extend out into corridors and over vast area's no matter what it's made from. Had they show the Aliens using the ducting as the means of entering it would have been a bit more believable (and really why didn't they?). As it was they are just crawling across the entire complex via roofing that somehow expands across the entire floor.

Think about it. Why would you have air locked steel doors with an overhead partition that extends out into the hallway? (and apparently further than that).

Perhaps it's not a plot hole but it's definitely as dumb as anything Prom spits out. There are all kinds of logic gaps throughout the Alien series. Prometheus is not a special case. Like Darth points out it's all down to the viewer and how they handle it.

They also come up through the floor at one point if I remember.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: Anonymous User on Jul 09, 2012, 03:25:31 PM

Burke's motive? For money. Burke said it in the movie.

And also, Burke did not believe Ripley's story at first. He secretly sent some terraformers to the crash site to check it. And when they lost contact with terraformers, Burke was convinced that Ripley was right. He was the only one who knew about his secret order. He also insisted in joining the mission to ensure that he got a specimen back. It is all in the movie.

Cameron and the script writers wanted the audience to hate Burke. And I hated Burke for that.

Contrast that with the scene when the last Engineer woke up and went on killing spree. Why is that? What's the reason? Nothing was explained in the movie.

Is the audience supposed to speculate? And I hated Scott/Lindelof for that.

Quote from: Highland on Jul 09, 2012, 03:19:50 PM

But this is an organisation (Weyland) that have known about the aliens, and the alien civilisation, since the first movie ("Special Order 937" remember???). So why are they pretending they don't know??? Also - your point about Burke doesn't wash. Having a motive fuelled by greed is one thing... having absolutely no plan, or even worse, a plan that will result in your certain death is incredulous. Tell me - what was Burke actually going to do? Was his plan always to kill the rest of the crew and sneak an "acid for blood" alien on board (even before he was 'found out'? Believing that Burke arranged for the team to be purposely inept seems like a very large leap... and even if you were correct (and it would take Cameron announcing that plot point - as it's not in the movie), I think that it only serves to highlight the flawed logic even more.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed