Starmap: NOT an invitation - so what is it?

Started by 180924609, Jul 05, 2012, 09:18:26 PM

Author
Starmap: NOT an invitation - so what is it? (Read 28,632 times)

Aceburster

Well there you go lol, its enough to fling David, but not enough to knock the caps off. Why wouldnt they do the same to the urns in the mound? Im starting to wonder if the Engineers are just thieves and the mound belongs to someone else, it would explain so much of this.

BANE

I don't think the stuff in the head room was actually on the ship. Wasn't it part of the tit-pyramid, and the ship was underground a little ways away from it?

psychonaut25

Quote from: Aceburster on Jul 06, 2012, 04:31:27 PM

Well there you go lol, its enough to fling David, but not enough to knock the caps off. Why wouldnt they do the same to the urns in the mound? Im starting to wonder if the Engineers are just thieves and the mound belongs to someone else, it would explain so much of this.

This idea was here posted in another thread some time ago. That engineers are just stealing technology and copying everything they steal. So the Jockey in Alien is the real one and engineers are just recreating it's appearance with suits. They copyied it.

Aceburster

That peice of concept art shows the ship attached by a long cooridor to the mound. I dunno if that holds up in the movie but from what i remember it does since the jugernaut comes up between the prometheus and the mound and the head room was in the mound.

Thats the thing about this movie, we dont know if the stuff is the same, we dont know if the goo is one type, we dont know if its holy and weapons at the same time, we dont know if its actually weapons, we dont know where it came from, we dont know anything. If you put context on one peice of it, then other stuff stops making sense.

I mean the simplest explanation is that the Engineers went to the mound for the same reason we did and some other aliens (giant ufo in the beginning) used them for sacrifices and experiments which gave them a trail to a death trap they couldnt figure out.

They walked in, got blindsided by goo trying to make off with the goods, most of them died, they left the door open which built up atmosphere on this crap complex, The last one ended up in his little lifeboat waiting for help, when help came it was a buncha stupid humans asking the same questions they did, he realized he was not only boned but he couldnt let this stuff get loose the same way Janek said.

It totally explains the Engineers and since two forms of human would have went looking for gods power and got screwed over the title "Prometheus" actually makes sense since the problem keeps happening.

Theres nothing in the movie that says the Engineers actually made us, they might have been forced to sacrifice themselves for another race which made us.

The only thing it doesnt explain is wtf the goo is and what connection it has to Xenos. But either way theres no scene or dialog or clincher that says that, or anything else conclusively happened. The most popular theories come from AvP haters who are using the AvP lore to explain the Engineers, thats just as dumb as anything else lol

The more we break it apart, the more logical explanations we will find.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: BLAIN on Jul 06, 2012, 04:23:58 PM
Or they could just be held in place really tightly, and the lid secured so as not to come off.

In terms of David's head, I believe it did roll off. If you recall, it was atop the raised portion where the cryotube and pilot seat were, but when Shaw gets him, his body and head are on a lower part against a wall.
Have we now got to the point where we need to explain that David was in a different position post crash? A new low... ;)

Still no good answer to the OP? Bizarre!

This is one of the most important aspects of the movie - heck its the movie starting point!

And yet NOBODY can give a reasonable answer as to why the starmap was described by The Engineers to multiple distinct primitive cultures in perfect detail?

Are you seeing this, Highland?

BANE

BANE

There is no answer to that question in the film.

But I believe that is one of the things Shaw is going to find out when she leaves LV-223 for the home-world.

I, personally, think they viewed us favourably, and were showing us the location of where the secret of life (black goo) is. Sort of like how the religious write down messages from 'God', pictorially or with words. Up until we pissed them off, of course (for whatever reason. I will NOT accept space Jesus, and if that ends up being the case, my opinion of the films will change so quickly I might get vertigo).

Alien³

Maybe they explained to us their origins without thinking one day we'd get there.

Quote from: Alien³ on Jul 07, 2012, 10:27:19 PM
Maybe they explained to us their origins without thinking one day we'd get there.

You sat through and enjoyed a 2 hour pop video to say that?

The Engineers described in PERFECT detail to many different ancient primitive civilisations that drew pictures on cave walls: 
A star map, when they didnt even have a clue what a STAR even is. The diagram would have to be described perfectly, or the Von Daniken hippies would not have been able to locate the system.

Are the engineers just gloating then?

EngineerNone:
"We've got a base at LV223, and bio-weapons that can kick your ass, na, na, na-na, naaaa."

Tumak:
"UGH*"

*translation:
"Yeah, but you got f**ked by your own bio-weapon, asswipe!"

NGR01

David's head... how come it works as it have been completely severed from the body?
Ash needs to be reconnected and he's probably a newer model no?
Bah! Forget it!

BANE

Why has my Super Nintendo lasted for 15 years without breaking once, even after being stepped on and thrown about, yet my xbox 360 breaks once every year from being too hot?

samoht

The star map WAS an invitation.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: NGR01 on Jul 07, 2012, 11:31:28 PM
David's head... how come it works as it have been completely severed from the body?
Ash needs to be reconnected and he's probably a newer model no?
Bah! Forget it!

Surely it depends on where the processor is etc. etc? Also - from recollection Ash was still running about with his head hanging off. It was the electric shock from the cattle prod that finished him off. I remember Bishop not functioning too badly after being ripped in half (although his training for the London marathon had to be put on hold).

Quote from: 180924609 on Jul 07, 2012, 09:53:02 PM

And yet NOBODY can give a reasonable answer as to why the starmap was described by The Engineers to multiple distinct primitive cultures in perfect detail?

The engineers were providing a way for their 'children' to find a way back to the closest established engineer outpost. The fact that humans did something circa 2000 years ago to piss their creators off meant that the invite became moot (as humans were to be wiped out long before they'd advanced to the point where they could interpret the 'invitation').

Anonymous User

If you have to fill in the dots in order to understand a story, then it is called a "plot hole"

Darth Vile

Quote from: Anonymous User on Jul 08, 2012, 07:22:15 PM
If you have to fill in the dots in order to understand a story, then it is called a "plot hole"
And perhaps those who need everything filled in "to understand a story" are just f**king morons???

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed